Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:34 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times

Advertisements

Every guy knows what I'm talking about. You've probably had a girl at some point in your life who is very obviously upset about something, and when you ask her about it she says everything's fine.

You then either keep pressing the question and she flips out at you, or you shrug it off because she DID say she was fine, and she blows up at you a few hours later saying you never care about her emotions.

Why the hell does that happen? If a person is upset they should just talk about it, or not act hurt when they say they're fine and people take their word for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:39 AM

529 posts, read 1,300,921 times
So true. It happens to me often.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:40 AM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Why the hell does that happen?
Men are from Mars; women are from Venus.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:41 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
LOL...I've used "fine" before...but mostly I'll say "I don't know".

Typically, it IS something I'm willing to talk about but it's too soon to discuss because I haven't got it figured out in my head yet.

I don't go ballistic on someone though, for not reading my mind.

Thankfully my husband learned long ago that I will come to him when I'm ready, but if he keeps nagging me to talk about it and I'm not ready, I have gotten pissy with him. Sometimes "I don't know" means just that.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:46 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Umm yea.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:47 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
I've done this too.

Sometimes I am too emotional to discuss it at the time. I am the type to cry when I get really pissed, and I would be incoherent at that point.

Other times, I really don't know how to articulate it. It makes sense in my head, but I can't put it into words without sounding like an idiot, so I just don't say anything.

And many times, I want to make sure that I am not over-reacting to the situation first (been known to do that). It may really be nothing to get upset over, it just may have struck a nerve at that time. And I don't want to hash it out with anyone if it's not a big deal.

I don't blow up at my man later, though. He will ask what's wrong, and I normally say "I can't talk about it now.", or some variation. My man knows enough to back off, even when I'm in tears when he asks.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Translation Guide For Clueless Guys

"Nothing's the matter" = "Something's the matter but I'm not going to tell you until you drag it out of me." Appropriate guy reaction? "Well, something's obviously the matter. And I'm not a mind reader. So help me out here."

"It's fine." = "It's definitely not fine." Appropriate guy reaction? "Well, something's obviously the matter. And I'm not a mind reader. So help me out here."

"Do what you want." = "Do what you want. But have sheets and pillows ready for your night on the couch." Appropriate guy reaction? It really depends. Are you skipping her birthday to head down to the strip club? Might want to rethink that. If, on the other hand, you planned for weeks in advance to watch The Super Bowl with friends, then call her on it. But still plan on sleeping on the couch.

"I don't care." = "I do care." Appropriate guy reaction? "Okay. What do you want to do?"

"Whatever." = "My God, you're such a clueless idiot. Do you ever think about anyone besides yourself?" Appropriate guy reaction? I have no clue. There's no good way to handle "Whatever."

Old 11-07-2011, 09:50 AM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
I like to be forthright, so you wouldn't have to guess what's got me upset.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:57 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Don't get sucked in. Ask once with sincerity, then leave it alone if she gives you the "nothing's wrong" or "fine" routine. Sometimes it really is nothing. We all go through moodiness from time to time without being able to put our finger on exactly what is putting us in a funk. When and if it is something, she'll either work it out on her own or she'll eventually come around to talking about it, probably around 1:00 AM when you are sound asleep.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:57 AM

766 posts, read 1,395,010 times
Here's my all time favorite... guy and girl get into a heated disagreement. An hour later she is obviously upset about something. Are you really that naive? Seriously? I just love how the guy plays dumb.

It didn't occur to you it *might* be about the argument an hour ago? DUH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships