Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,816 times

Advertisements

I've been dating my gf for over a year now. For the first 6 months of our relationship she was amazing. Up for anything, super outgoing and fun. Very affectionate and caring. I really fell for this girl. About 4 months ago without telling me she starts a new kind of birth control. I don’t know what it's called but I know its a rod she had inserted into her upper left (non-dominant) arm. Since then she’s begun to deteriorate. She erratic. Emotional and distant. Nothing in her life or our relationship has changed except for her new contraceptive. I've had numerous talks with her about this, explaining that I think her changes in behavior are directly contributed to the birth control but she will not listen to me. I even emailed her this info I found about how severe the side effects can be.

She told me she is aware of the risks and talked to her doctor at lengths about them before switching.

She refuses to have it removed claiming she does not want to take the pill and can no longer be on the shot (since she was on it for 4+ years) and does not want to have to ever worry about her period or having a mistake.

I’m at a cross roads. I love this girl but she has changed since I met her.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 01:09 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF84 View Post
I've been dating my gf for over a year now. For the first 6 months of our relationship she was amazing. Up for anything, super outgoing and fun. Very affectionate and caring. I really fell for this girl. About 4 months ago without telling me she starts a new kind of birth control. I don’t know what it's called but I know its a rod she had inserted into her upper left (non-dominant) arm. Since then she’s begun to deteriorate. She erratic. Emotional and distant. Nothing in her life or our relationship has changed except for her new contraceptive. I've had numerous talks with her about this, explaining that I think her changes in behavior are directly contributed to the birth control but she will not listen to me. I even emailed her this info I found about how severe the side effects can be.

She told me she is aware of the risks and talked to her doctor at lengths about them before switching.

She refuses to have it removed claiming she does not want to take the pill and can no longer be on the shot (since she was on it for 4+ years) and does not want to have to ever worry about her period or having a mistake.

I’m at a cross roads. I love this girl but she has changed since I met her.

Any suggestions?
I don't have any suggestions for you, wish I did.

If you are seriously considering whether to end the relationship, I would let her know that. Maybe she doesn't think it's that big of a deal.

I went through something similar with birth control (NuvaRing). It's very hard to see the changes in yourself until they get so severe that you don't recognize yourself anymore. She may not even realize how much she has changed in your eyes.

It COULD also be that she has just gotten comfortable with you and this is her true self....the birth control could just be coincidence.

Last edited by *Sixy*; 11-01-2011 at 02:33 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 01:34 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
It COULD also be that she has just gotten comfortable with you and this is her true self....the birth control could just be coincidence.
I would read this sentence over and over and really give it a good thought. It's quite common for people to stop their "good behavior" around the 6 month mark.

For all we know she could've gotten a little comfy and the switch made it worse.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,816 times
I can't say I think its a confort thing. I have discussed this with her parents as well. (Her mother is a doctor). They both said they have seen the changes and are not used to this side of her. She's normally very soft spoken, sweet and attentive. They are shocked at the change as well.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:56 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Birth Control does have an affect on hormones and such, and this can easily be related to the switch. She may not see it, or may think it is as outwardly evident as you are noticing.

I would talk with her family and or friends and see if they are willing to sit and talk to her about it too. Since you said her parents have noticed, it may help her to realize the birth control is affecting her negatively if more than just you are telling it to her.

Sounds like a very difficult situation! Best of luck! I certainly would not want a relationship to go south because of something fixable like that!

Old 11-02-2011, 07:34 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,868 times
OP: you mentioned that her mom is a doctor; perhaps she might be more receptive to listening to medical advice from her mother, given her profession? Anyway just a possible thought...

Old 11-03-2011, 05:31 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
copper iud - no hormones

Old 11-03-2011, 05:56 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Perhaps it's growing pains.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:31 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
To me, it sounds like postpartum deprssion minus the baby. Hormones can do crazy things to both male and female alike.

Anyone with any sort of knowledge would understand this fact, but she is not in her right mind/hormones.

In order to rectify the situation, you and her family need to step in and help her see it's time to come off that particular control.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:07 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Hormonal birth control often works by turning a woman into such a stark raving lunatic that no man would want to have sex with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships