Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 04:44 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
That's right, you've mentioned that before. Fling a couple of heavy objects over your shoulders and find a hill.
I've thought of tieing a tire around my waste and running up the levy in our town lol.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:51 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I've thought of tieing a tire around my waste and running up the levy in our town lol.
Drag a couple of the neighborhood kids along.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:52 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
What are you looking to do? I know you were going for something related to EMS, right?

I'm looking into nursing. The CC here wants you to jump through hoops to get accepted into the program. First you go to a mandatory information session. Then you go to another mandatory information session so you can enroll in the CNA1 program. Then there is a basic competency exam and since my degree is more than 5yrs old, I have to take that. I also need to retake my CPR because mine isn't for health professionals and then take a a basic chem class. THEN I can apply to the nursing program. The plus side is it will only cost me $6K in total but because the info session has already closed out, I can't begin in the fall. The program is 2 yrs so that won't put me in a job for another 3yrs.

One of the universities here has a program for second degree students to get a BSN. I have to take 5 pre-reqs (2 bio, 1 physiology, 1 stats and a psych which I already have satisfied). They have an accelerated program which runs for 4 consecutive semesters (spring, summer, fall, spring) and then you are done. CNA1 and CPR are covered in the program. The downside is it runs $18K...however, I'd have a BSN as opposed to an ASN and I'd be out in the field a year earlier.

Decisions, decisions!
As far as I can understand, BSN and ASN are pretty much exactly the same, with the exception that the BSN basically means you went for the degree instead of just the nursing stuff.

I'm going to try and become a paramedic. I don't have a list of all the prerequisite classes I need, just that it's an actual degree in EMS (which is apparently pretty uncommon) and it requires a lot more math and science rather than general ed classes (history, social studies, etc.)

The way they have it worked out, you do the prerequisite classes first, then apply to the medical school's emergency medicine program. They have you take CPR/EMT-Basic in the fall, EMT-Paramedic in the spring, followed by a summer internship and then 300/400 level classes for the last year on subjects like neonatal intensive care, etc. that are taught by the med school doctors.

All in all it'll be probably another 3 years before I get my degree, but if I get my EMT-B before that I'll add in another year for experience. I don't want to have my "freeze-up" moment when I'm the most responsible and highly trained person around.

After that, it's another two years experience before I can become a flight medic, so figure probably 5-6 years before my career actually gets started.

The hour are great, though, once I get to flight medic- my EMT-B instructors are both flight medics and they work 7 24hr shifts a month, get paid ~70k a year before taxes, and it allows them to moonlight (if they want) and do other stuff (if they want).

Old 01-10-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Drag a couple of the neighborhood kids along.
lol I used to do that in the wintertime. Tie myself to a sled, put a few kids on it and drive them around town. That was brutal at times.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:02 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
lol I used to do that in the wintertime. Tie myself to a sled, put a few kids on it and drive them around town. That was brutal at times.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:08 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
As far as I can understand, BSN and ASN are pretty much exactly the same, with the exception that the BSN basically means you went for the degree instead of just the nursing stuff.

Pretty much. Everyone walks out with the same license. With the BSN I don't have to spend as much time in the classroom though and there are more opportunities for advancement and management positions.

I'm going to try and become a paramedic. I don't have a list of all the prerequisite classes I need, just that it's an actual degree in EMS (which is apparently pretty uncommon) and it requires a lot more math and science rather than general ed classes (history, social studies, etc.)

The way they have it worked out, you do the prerequisite classes first, then apply to the medical school's emergency medicine program. They have you take CPR/EMT-Basic in the fall, EMT-Paramedic in the spring, followed by a summer internship and then 300/400 level classes for the last year on subjects like neonatal intensive care, etc. that are taught by the med school doctors.

All in all it'll be probably another 3 years before I get my degree, but if I get my EMT-B before that I'll add in another year for experience. I don't want to have my "freeze-up" moment when I'm the most responsible and highly trained person around.

After that, it's another two years experience before I can become a flight medic, so figure probably 5-6 years before my career actually gets started.

The hour are great, though, once I get to flight medic- my EMT-B instructors are both flight medics and they work 7 24hr shifts a month, get paid ~70k a year before taxes, and it allows them to moonlight (if they want) and do other stuff (if they want).
Not too shabby for the hours you put in! First year nurses around here make about $40K and the position I'm most interested in as a long term goal (which could change) is a supervising OR nurse and the average pay for that is about $75K. Either that or go on for Nurse Practioner or PA.

When I was younger I wanted to be a doctor...missed that boat!

Old 01-10-2012, 05:14 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,596 times
Evening froggy. I'm braving the kitchen and going to actually cook real food tonight..lol

Old 01-10-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Evening froggy. I'm braving the kitchen and going to actually cook real food tonight..lol
I made a nice salad tonight. Lots of tastie thing like bacon, chicken, blue cheese crumbles, and boiled eggs.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Oh! And a wonderful evening to you Red!

Old 01-10-2012, 05:18 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,596 times
Quote:
I made a nice salad tonight. Lots of tastie thing like bacon, chicken, blue cheese crumbles, and boiled eggs.
That sounds good, but hold the cheese please..ha ha. I love salad. Hate winter because the produce just isn't as good as what I grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships