Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times

Advertisements

Go overseas, have a lovely adventure.
Let your kids know where you are, I'm sure they have your email address and let it go from there.
You cannot live through your kids; there are lovely expat communities all over the world thta you'll become part of.

I've lived on 3 continents (one twice) in the past decade.
I love to travel and learn about new cultures.
Look at it as an adventure to embark on; what could be more exciting?!

Travel teaches us about ourselves and provides skills and experiences that we never considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 04:46 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine1119 View Post
52, single, no job, unemployment has run out - would you live in your car to stay near your adult children vs. teaching overseas.

With so many topics, the majority of the answer lies in the question itself.

52, single, no job, unemployment has run out - would you live in your car to stay near your adult children vs. teaching overseas.

I am very honestly and sincerely sorry that you have such a poor relationship overall with your sons. Whatever (I did not read the thread past the first page) is behind that is, sadly, a page already turned. And I understand your reticence at leaving behind the third son who apparently does maintain contact with you.

But you describe it as "contact" and it suggests a certain tolerance rather than intimacy.

If you would actually be living in your car to stay near people.... who would allow their parent to live in a car then quite honestly (and again, I am sorry for your situation and I'm not trying to be callous) you are...

Well, trying to stay near people who would allow you to live in a car.

It may or may not be mutual fault all around; that's something which is NONE of my business.

However, wherever the fault lies, you now LIVE in a precarious situation.

If you actually have the opportunity to live overseas and teach, I urge you to take it.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:35 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,357,941 times
Quote:
Just to clarify for a few; it's not that the boys wouldn't take me in - their wives have made it clear that they do not want me to live with them. I do not hold it against them, and their marriages are young yet except for my oldest who has been married longer.
I have gone on to teach overseas - and focusing on having fun. It just seems I am the only one trying to maintain some communication which is a bit worrisome.
Wow so you did move to China. My goodness, i hope you are doing okay. Excuse my french, but f**k "the boys." I love my wife with every fiber of my being, but so help me God if she tries to pull some stunt like your DILs...we'll have a serious fight on our hands. Anyway, all that is water under the bridge. Please stay safe and try to enjoy your time over there. I pray you are able to regain employment in the states soon so you can come back to your "grand kids."

Old 11-18-2011, 06:40 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,192 times
Quote:
Just to clarify for a few; it's not that the boys wouldn't take me in - their wives have made it clear that they do not want me to live with them. I do not hold it against them, and their marriages are young yet except for my oldest who has been married longer.
I have gone on to teach overseas - and focusing on having fun. It just seems I am the only one trying to maintain some communication which is a bit worrisome.

That's what I get for not reading the entire thread!

I'm GLAD you went overseas and I hope you're living this opportunity up!

Wo yao xuexi Hanyu, but I live here, not there!

Good luck!

Old 11-18-2011, 07:04 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Thanks for the update - I love when an OP comes back and gives one

Okay, glad to know you aren't homeless, and do hope you are able to bloom where you are planted and experience a rich, full life

If you are only 52, your boys are still pretty young, still growing up and figuring the world out themselves, so just give them some time. Do not quit communicating with them or reaching out to them - be the grownup in the relationship until they are able to reciprocate. Best of luck to you!

Old 11-18-2011, 07:26 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
I think you made the right decision. If they're grown and married, you're certainly free to do whatever and go whereever you wish.

Maybe send them a postcard now and then but always remember if any come looking for a handout that they weren't there to help you when you needed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships