Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:37 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Given that there is a lot of money to be made here, I'm surprised this one isn't being pushed.
Well, it couldn't be mandated federally, because it would likely be a violation of illegal search/privacy laws. The states could possibly pass a law, but Managed Care would have a hissyfit long before anyone could even challenge its legality before the Supremes, so I don't see the bought-and-paid-for state reps doing anything of the sort. The only way I can see that it could be mandated would be at a clinic level, since indigent care clinics have a long history of making all sorts of legally questionable rules (because the uninsured are not likely to have the wherewithal to challenge them). And since welfare rules generally require naming the father of children in single parent households in order to receive benefits (and that can be challenged if desired by the individual so named, thus requiring a paternity test), for the most part it would be a reinvention of the wheel.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:41 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Nah. But you can bet if any girl told my unmarried son she was pregnant with his child I would be getting that test done ASAP.

If paying child support after raising a child 6-12 years is a guys worry then he's probably a lousy dad anyway. Traditionally any children born within a marriage are considered to belong to the man and woman. DNA doesn't matter unless there are already major issues in the relationship.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:12 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nah. But you can bet if any girl told my unmarried son she was pregnant with his child I would be getting that test done ASAP.
You would not be getting that test. You can encourage your son to ask for it, but if he does not want to, there's nothing you can do.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:34 AM

144 posts, read 306,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
scenario: child is born, before dad signs affidavit of parentage, should there be some sort of mandatory paternity testing? i've seen or heard about way too many cases of men signing aop's only to find out 5 and 18 years later that the child was not theirs.
you would think that women would be honest and upfront and let a guy know if she's been sleeping around and having unprotected sex with more than one guy but i guess shame beats responsibility.
i know if a married woman has slept around and has gotten pregnant by another man, in most states, the husband is automatically assumed to be the father and must pay child support. it's basically rewarding the wife for her infidelity. seems like an easy solution to all of this would just be to make paternity testing mandatory. no need to collect blood samples now days since cheek swabs for dna are 99.99% effective and less intrusive.
think it would be great to at least give the guy the option of raising a child he knows isn't his biologically rather than having both him and the child crushed emotionally later on down the road once the secret gets out.

I say, yeah, paternity testing should be mandatory, as a safegard so the potential father doesnt get suckered into raising someone elses kid.

If I was to one day find out say 5 years down the road that a child was actually not mine, and mom slept around I would be devistated.

I would feel like a chump for raising some other guys kid, feel like a fool for getting suckered by baby's mamma, and then feel lost for time to start a family of my own If I choose to leave cheating mama and kid.

Mandatory testing could help solve all of that.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
I say, yeah, paternity testing should be mandatory, as a safegard so the potential father doesnt get suckered into raising someone elses kid.

If I was to one day find out say 5 years down the road that a child was actually not mine, and mom slept around I would be devistated.

I would feel like a chump for raising some other guys kid, feel like a fool for getting suckered by baby's mamma, and then feel lost for time to start a family of my own If I choose to leave cheating mama and kid.

Mandatory testing could help solve all of that.
There's nothing stopping you from getting your own babies' DNA tested. You don't need mandatory testing to find out if your children were fathered by someone else.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:03 AM

144 posts, read 306,894 times
My wife told me about a fellow who found out after 4 years that his son was not his own.

He and his girlfriend seperated for a month, some time after getting pregnant she told him it was definately his because she didnt have sex when they were seperated, He beleived her. After 4 years of grandparents urging him to have a test and his own doubts he finally had a test to find out child was not his son. He struggled with the thought of what to do. Forgive her, stay for the sake of the boy he was fond of, or leave. He was very fond of the boy, but ultimatly decided (which was a super hard decision for him) to move out because of the dishonest mother.

I dont know if he tried to continue a relationship with the boy or not. but it was a shame it had to go down like that for the boy.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:37 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You would not be getting that test. You can encourage your son to ask for it, but if he does not want to, there's nothing you can do.
While it wouldnt' be impossible with some of the OTC tests they have now, my son would do it without trickery. He doesn't even like children.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:51 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
i tell my unmarried nephews they better darn well get that test the moment the baby is born.

Doesn't need to be mandatory.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Or....keep it in your pants unless you are in a relationship you have trust in. There's always that.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:02 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
I believe this will happened in 2015. Mandatory Paternity test will be administered to every child along with a check of possible allergies and sicknesses. Birth control in 2012 ladies will be free every insurance has to cover it!!! Whooo hoo break through!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates