U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-07-2011, 11:19 AM

2,024 posts, read 1,573,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
You're kidding, right? Most people would have a heart attack over such an age gap. A few days ago, I was reading article comments related to the Justin Bieber paternity situation and many people seemingly wanted the woman arrested for statutory rape even though there is only a 3 year age gap between those two (19 year old and a 16 year old). So, if so many people have a problem with a 3 year age gap, I'm pretty sure an large percentage of the public would find a relationship between a 34 year old and a 17 year old old totally inappropriate.
in your country, you're absolutely right. leave the more developed OECD countries and you'll find it's pretty normal. even your fellow americans will drop the age-gap taboo once they expatriate. plenty of 40-60 yr old american expats w HS-aged GF's.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-07-2011, 12:08 PM

2,491 posts, read 1,708,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
in your country, you're absolutely right. leave the more developed OECD countries and you'll find it's pretty normal. even your fellow americans will drop the age-gap taboo once they expatriate. plenty of 40-60 yr old american expats w HS-aged GF's.
That is just sickening and wrong.

Unread 11-07-2011, 01:18 PM

921 posts, read 696,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Where do you draw the line where it becomes too perverted to like younger women..?
Liking them? You're never too old!

Thinking that you stand a chance with them...if you have to ask, you're already over the line.

Unread 11-07-2011, 11:53 PM

256 posts, read 126,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
That's pretty bad, man. Just because something may be legal in a particular jurisdiction doesn't make it morally or socially appropriate and a 34 year old with a 17 year old is clearly NOT appropriate. A 17 year old is basically a high schooler while a 34 year old is about 6-8 years away from middle age and could possibly be that 17 year old's father.

So I suppose if the age of consent were 13 in TX, you would have dated a 13 year old at the age of 34 simply because "it's legal"? To me, it sounds as though you'd go as low as possible so long as you're guarenteed to not risk being arrested.
bipolar10, I meant bicoastal10, you certainly have a right to your opinion even if it is extremely judgmental. Youíre one of the haters I was referring to.

As to what is morally and socially appropriate? Well I guess youíve been selected to serve as the moral police, so carry on.

Itís interesting to note that Americans seem to struggle the most with these age gap relationships. Iím Hispanic and in our culture it is socially acceptable. If youíve ever watched a Spanish telenovela, or Spanish soap opera, you know what I mean. Heads up. If youíre an older single male and looking for a sweet, young seňorita, you might try looking south of the border!

Now to your comment about 13 year olds, now THAT was inappropriate. Letís just say that my wife at 17 was one of the most mature women that I had ever met. Thatís why I married her. She had a rough upbringing so Iím sure that figured into it.

One last note, ďA man's chances of dying early are cut by a fifth if their bride is between 15 and 17 years their junior.Ē If a man marries older, his life expectancy decreases. Hmmm.
Men 'live longer' if they marry a younger woman - Telegraph

Unread 11-08-2011, 11:30 PM

859 posts, read 861,804 times
Hmmmm... "perverted?"

Younger than 18 - i dont discuss... illegal

I'd say 18-21 girls - stick w/guys in their 20's

After 21 - it's up to them. I try not to judge "perversions" after that age - it's all up to the individual people in the relationships.

There are pervs of all kinds out there.

Unread 11-09-2011, 01:54 AM

993 posts, read 729,837 times
When a man pops out from behind the doors telling you his name is Chris Hansen....might be a clue..

Unread 11-09-2011, 09:52 AM

3,530 posts, read 1,712,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Men have historically married women much younger than them. It's only within the past 40-50 years that people have gotten so worked up about it, and really only in the US. Anyone who thinks it's creepy is either some dude who can't get a girl or any old hag who can't get a man.
Exactly. Where did this "creepy" nonsense come from (as long as both parties are legal adults)? Apparently many people like to invent problems that don't exist outside their own imaginations.

People in their 60s seek the same things in a relationship that people in their 20s do. I state that based on personal experience.

Unread 11-09-2011, 02:20 PM

8,257 posts, read 10,153,636 times
If I cant send her the store for more beer for me and my buds during the game shes too young!

Unread 11-09-2011, 02:28 PM

3,871 posts, read 1,606,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Exactly. Where did this "creepy" nonsense come from (as long as both parties are legal adults)? Apparently many people like to invent problems that don't exist outside their own imaginations.

People in their 60s seek the same things in a relationship that people in their 20s do. I state that based on personal experience.
I imagine people of all ages may have similar goals for a relationship. If your personal experience is of a 40 year age gap in your relationship, and it works, great. But I don't think it's normal or typical or what most people strive for.

In all my years, I have only known one couple with a large age gap, 28 years. She's 46, he's 74. And it didn't occur to her at 23 what she'd be in for at this stage of her life. She is caretaking for her husband the way others are for their ageing parents. Her love-life is non-existent and her social life includes hanging out with single/divorced women who don't have partners, and she is essentially the only parent to their teenage son because dad is in and out of hospital and almost bedridden with ilnesses and ailments. Sure, not every 76 year old will be sick, the scenario could easily be reversed, but it's the idea of them being at different ages and stages, and a 40 year age gap is bound to cause more issues than the people in them may be willing to admit to.

Unread 11-09-2011, 02:53 PM

3,530 posts, read 1,712,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I imagine people of all ages may have similar goals for a relationship. If your personal experience is of a 40 year age gap in your relationship, and it works, great. But I don't think it's normal or typical or what most people strive for.

In all my years, I have only known one couple with a large age gap, 28 years. She's 46, he's 74. And it didn't occur to her at 23 what she'd be in for at this stage of her life. She is caretaking for her husband the way others are for their ageing parents. Her love-life is non-existent and her social life includes hanging out with single/divorced women who don't have partners, and she is essentially the only parent to their teenage son because dad is in and out of hospital and almost bedridden with ilnesses and ailments. Sure, not every 76 year old will be sick, the scenario could easily be reversed, but it's the idea of them being at different ages and stages, and a 40 year age gap is bound to cause more issues than the people in them may be willing to admit to.
You are absolutely right that there are lots of issues that may arise as a result of a large age gap.

I'm simply challenging the "creepy" notion that some have attempted to associate it with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships