U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-19-2012, 11:45 AM
 
2,252 posts, read 1,751,571 times
Reputation: 3615
How many people get the hard sell on why they should have or accept kids? There has been a time or two that I’ve considered dating a divorcee with a single child, but my interest wanes off pretty quick because it seems one child is never enough.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2012, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Virginia
96 posts, read 26,896 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So you hate all other women who might be in the same situation.
But not your mother.
Like I said, I get it.
If you don't know them, you hate them.
Lmao, I can see I ruffled your feathers. I'll do us both a favor, and pretend this little exchange never happened.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2012, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Armsanta Sorad
5,049 posts, read 3,443,475 times
Reputation: 1947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buick>Import View Post
Lmao, I can see I ruffled your feathers. I'll do us both a favor, and pretend this little exchange never happened.
Aye man, no point in arguing with feminists. They think all men are women haters.

Anyways, there's nothing wrong with men choosing not to have children. Yet, we'll always receive harassment from parents, mainly mothers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2012, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Virginia
96 posts, read 26,896 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Aye man, no point in arguing with feminists. They think all men are women haters.

Anyways, there's nothing wrong with men choosing not to have children. Yet, we'll always receive harassment from parents, mainly mothers.
Yeah, apparently being a Grandmother is something else women are entitled too.

Oh man, I'm on a roll.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2012, 05:53 PM
 
Location: The Valley of the Sun
4,623 posts, read 2,974,978 times
Reputation: 2966
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
You're an empty nester

Childfree | Define Childfree at Dictionary.com
child·free

adjective having no children; childless, especially by choice.

(there are several permutations of the word in CF discussions. Some hyphenate, some use two words, some even enclose the term in quotes 'childfree')



Yep. On another message board we call ourselves CF, but if we spell it, it's childfree.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 02:22 AM
 
Location: Earth
24,640 posts, read 14,337,212 times
Reputation: 11080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buick>Import View Post
Lmao, I can see I ruffled your feathers. I'll do us both a favor, and pretend this little exchange never happened.
Didn't ruffle my feathers at all. BTW, I'm a person, no feathers.
I just get boggled by all of the ignorance presented in ridiculous posts.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 07:31 AM
 
16,623 posts, read 13,789,835 times
Reputation: 11461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javax View Post
How do people react to your childfree lifestyle?
Are you single? Have you had pressure from parents, coworkers, church members, etc.?How has it affected your dating life?
women usually laugh in my face when i talk to them. they say, "i needs a man with some churrrrn uh his own."

Quote:
When did you decide to become childfree?
That decision coincides with the decision to use a condom.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 10:33 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
2,658 posts, read 4,887,857 times
Reputation: 4177
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
Besides, for those that want to argue it's selfish, you know what? The population isn't going to die because some people decide not to procreate. There are plenty of other people out there having kids to make up for it.
It's easy to defend a CF-stance in regards to a world-view, but people always want to make it personal. It's as if your choice/orientation is somehow a judgement on their choice (and - NO - I'm not going to get into the subject of CF boards where parents are slammed), or they are "worried" about your future welfare and happiness - the "what are you going to do when you get old?"; "oh, you just don't know what you are missing!" tactics. I practice a lot of detachment and use "there's no need for you to worry about it" and "well, that's going to be my problem, isn't it?" responses.

Missjanna, with your BF problem, I would suggest checking out the CF groups. The Childfree Life • Index page
has a fence sitter section, though it sounds as if you are more on the CF side. It may help you to be surrounded by a strictly childfree environment. There are people there who have been through relationships like yours.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Austin
773 posts, read 559,479 times
Reputation: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Anyways, there's nothing wrong with men choosing not to have children. Yet, we'll always receive harassment from parents, mainly mothers.
It's a shame that the "childfree movement" (?) largely seems to address this issue as though women alone are responsible for the decision to become or not become a parent, when in fact that simply isn't true. When I read news story featuring stats on how many people are childfree, it's always a percentage of women. Never men. I think I know why — men remain fertile for their entire lives, so it's probably difficult to determine if their decision to be CF in their 30s and 40s stands well into their 50s, 60s and even 70s.

I'm sure that men and women make the decision to not have children for largely the same reasons. But I rarely hear the male POV on this topic and wish that more CF men would stand up and be counted without shame or guilt.

D'you hear me, fellas?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY born & raised!
2,190 posts, read 1,722,432 times
Reputation: 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
It's easy to defend a CF-stance in regards to a world-view, but people always want to make it personal. It's as if your choice/orientation is somehow a judgement on their choice (and - NO - I'm not going to get into the subject of CF boards where parents are slammed), or they are "worried" about your future welfare and happiness - the "what are you going to do when you get old?"; "oh, you just don't know what you are missing!" tactics. I practice a lot of detachment and use "there's no need for you to worry about it" and "well, that's going to be my problem, isn't it?" responses.

Missjanna, with your BF problem, I would suggest checking out the CF groups. The Childfree Life • Index page
has a fence sitter section, though it sounds as if you are more on the CF side. It may help you to be surrounded by a strictly childfree environment. There are people there who have been through relationships like yours.
Thanks for the advice, I will check the link out. And while I am 90% sure of my decision to go child free (and pretty soon the choice would be made for me anyway as my clock is ticking loud) I know he will leave me when I tell him. Messed up as it is, that's life and I refuse to change my mind for someone else's sake.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top