Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 07:50 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times

Advertisements

ok...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 03:31 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,414 times
I am of the mindset, that if you're truly interested in a particular person, then you're not going to be fulfilled/content with other people. When people are really in love, that one person will already be meeting their needs, and they won't have a desire to look elsewhere, because they're satisfied.

If you can't see yourself totally committed to that one person, and you feel a "need" to look elsewhere to meet the rest of your needs, then a long term relationship won't work for you.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:02 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I am of the mindset, that if you're truly interested in a particular person, then you're not going to be fulfilled/content with other people. When people are really in love, that one person will already be meeting their needs, and they won't have a desire to look elsewhere, because they're satisfied.

If you can't see yourself totally committed to that one person, and you feel a "need" to look elsewhere to meet the rest of your needs, then a long term relationship won't work for you.
You think like a typical woman. We have been on a few dates, how can I be in love or committed to someone I hardly now? I would be committed to the person if we both decided to go steady and start a relationship. Until then, I don't feel any need to be loyal, or feel obligated to be exclusive with someone I hardly know.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:09 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
You think like a typical woman. We have been on a few dates, how can I be in love or committed to someone I hardly now? I would be committed to the person if we both decided to go steady and start a relationship. Until then, I don't feel any need to be loyal, or feel obligated to be exclusive with someone I hardly know.
Oh, please. A few weeks ago you were saying that you'd make the woman you are seeing now into a girlfriend "in a heartbeat."

Is there trouble in paradise?

Old 11-26-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Oh, please. A few weeks ago you were saying that you'd make the woman you are seeing now into a girlfriend "in a heartbeat."

Is there trouble in paradise?

Well, not exactly trouble but we have come to a point where I don't know where this is going to go. I remember one of our conversations about kids and marriage and honestly, I could tell marriage and kids mean a lot to her.

Honestly, I do not have any desire to have kids(at least right now), and I really do not want to have kids(a huge deal to me) just because that is what a woman wants.

I still need more time to see where this is going to go, we are taking it slow but if gets to a point where kids and marriage are a deal breaker, at least today, I would choose my personal freedom over the bondage of bringing kids into this world.

We will see what happens!

Old 11-26-2011, 04:35 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,414 times
Quote:
...So you like the idea of a LTR with someone else on the side. You're only willing to "take your time" because you know your "needs" are met elsewhere. You can't be thinking of having a LTR with one person while still itching to remain intimate with another. You are the one insisting you don't want to labeled, yet your actions speak for themselves... .

You can try to play innocent, but I think you know the answer: If you're still satisfied with your physical needs being met elsewhere (and aren't convinced this women can meet them), after knowing this person at least a few months, then this women obviously isn't really "enough" for you as a LTR. Instead of stringing her along, be honest with yourself, and let her go, so she can find someone who's really ready for a LTR--and shares her needs/desires (re: kids).

Old 11-26-2011, 10:25 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Well, not exactly trouble but we have come to a point where I don't know where this is going to go. I remember one of our conversations about kids and marriage and honestly, I could tell marriage and kids mean a lot to her.

Honestly, I do not have any desire to have kids(at least right now), and I really do not want to have kids(a huge deal to me) just because that is what a woman wants.

I still need more time to see where this is going to go, we are taking it slow but if gets to a point where kids and marriage are a deal breaker, at least today, I would choose my personal freedom over the bondage of bringing kids into this world.

We will see what happens!
You've only been seeing each other for a couple of months, right?

How did the subject come up? Generic, like "yeah, I'd like to have a family someday, and could you pass the salt, please?" Or specific, like, "I'd like to settle down sometime in the next couple of years and have a few children. I'm at the point in my life where I'm looking for a partner, and if things work out, I could see him being you."

Generic is one thing, but it's too soon to go beyond that if you've only been dating a few months--especially if you are not sleeping together or you haven't declared that you are being exclusive. Not long ago you were talking about emotional push-and-pull. It doesn't sound like your relationship is being taken that seriously by either of you.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:43 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,311 times
I wonder what askmen.com has to say about such things?

Old 11-27-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
You've only been seeing each other for a couple of months, right?

How did the subject come up? Generic, like "yeah, I'd like to have a family someday, and could you pass the salt, please?" Or specific, like, "I'd like to settle down sometime in the next couple of years and have a few children. I'm at the point in my life where I'm looking for a partner, and if things work out, I could see him being you."

Generic is one thing, but it's too soon to go beyond that if you've only been dating a few months--especially if you are not sleeping together or you haven't declared that you are being exclusive. Not long ago you were talking about emotional push-and-pull. It doesn't sound like your relationship is being taken that seriously by either of you.
Well, on our second date, we were at a play and somehow, this topic came up, I think she asked me if I wanted to get married and have kids, I did not say NO, but I think I said something like "with the right person, sure"

Then, she told me that she wanted to have x amount of children and she wanted a boy and a girl, I did not say anything, but I was thinking, I don't know about that.

The main reason why I am getting sick of this is because, this is the only woman I have dated so far where everything has to be on her terms, I am always the one calling, texting and initiating everything. She told me she is "old fashioned" but I think it is more like someone who expects people to always cater to her.

Also, since the very beginning, I felt like I was "chasing" some high school girl, usually when I meet a girl my age, it is a lot easier, with this woman, I feel like I am constantly jumping through hoops, even to get a next date and I am getting tired of this type of BS

I remember during one of our first conversations, she mentioned the word "high maintenance" and I laughed and did not think much of it, but now I think I am starting to realize what type of person she is and I don't like it

She is also an only child and I have never dated someone who was an only child. I am afraid that a person like this would be someone who would always expect something from you but would never give back.

It is a bit too soon to profile her, but I am starting to see certain personality traits that I don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships