Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is right?
Mother of the Bride 2 4.55%
Bride 42 95.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:11 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,159,286 times

Advertisements

A woman gets married. Most of her family and guests come to the wedding from out of town. The days leading up to the wedding are busy with get togethers including a party at the bride's home the night before the wedding where all out of town guests are invited.

The morning after the wedding the bride's mom calls to say that she is bringing some guests over to the bride's house because they want to see it. These guests missed the party prior to the wedding as they came into town the morning of the wedding. The bride tells her mom that she is exhausted and not up for guests and considers her time after the wedding her honeymoon. She asks for privacy and alone time with her new husband. The mom tells the bride that she is coming with the guests despite her daughter's objections.

The mother of the bride feels that the bride was being unreasonable and rude. These guests wanted to see the bride's house and they should be welcomed since they came in from out of town.

The bride feels that her mother disregarded her feelings and overstepped her bounds by inviting people over when the bride asked her not to.

Who is right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 11:18 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,674,190 times
Eh, I'd say both, really. I feel the mom is overstepping her authority a little, yet I can understand her point. Yet I can certainly see why the bride would only want to be around her husband for a while, since she just got finished with an event where she had to be very sociable with many, many people in a short period of time.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:26 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,795,657 times
I can't believe that someone would casually interrupt their honeymooning!
The bride has better things to do than worry about getting the house back in order and presentable to guests, resting from the day before only being one of them :-)

Old 11-07-2011, 11:26 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,948,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
A woman gets married. Most of her family and guests come to the wedding from out of town. The days leading up to the wedding are busy with get togethers including a party at the bride's home the night before the wedding where all out of town guests are invited.

The morning after the wedding the bride's mom calls to say that she is bringing some guests over to the bride's house because they want to see it. These guests missed the party prior to the wedding as they came into town the morning of the wedding. The bride tells her mom that she is exhausted and not up for guests and considers her time after the wedding her honeymoon. She asks for privacy and alone time with her new husband. The mom tells the bride that she is coming with the guests despite her daughter's objections.

The mother of the bride feels that the bride was being unreasonable and rude. These guests wanted to see the bride's house and they should be welcomed since they came in from out of town.

The bride feels that her mother disregarded her feelings and overstepped her bounds by inviting people over when the bride asked her not to.

Who is right?
Neither has exactly covered herself with glory here. Both have behaved in a spoiled, self-centered way. I think a mutual apology is called for.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:30 AM

936 posts, read 2,053,228 times
If it's not Mom's house, then I'm for the bride. Mom should have left it up to the bride, and if the bride says no, the visit is off. Bride's house, bride's rules.

If it is Mom's house, then the bride should have planned a honeymoon elsewhere, and she's SOL. Mom can do what she wants in her own house.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:10 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,067,600 times
All I can say is that my mom would never have done that.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:21 PM

11,755 posts, read 11,944,820 times
I can't say that either one is wrong. Sometimes you have to make concessions for out-of-town guests who may or may not have a chance to visit again. But on the flip side, it is their honeymoon.

Normally you would have an idea about when out-of-town guests would be arriving. I think this should have been given a lot more thought and planned well in advance.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:31 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,948,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I can't say that either one is wrong. Sometimes you have to make concessions for out-of-town guests who may or may not have a chance to visit again. But on the flip side, it is their honeymoon.

Normally you would have an idea about when out-of-town guests would be arriving. I think this should have been given a lot more thought and planned well in advance.
This is sensible. The mistake they made was not bolting out of town.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:34 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,223,226 times
Bride, all the way. What kind of domineering, clueless shrew would be so self-absorbed and devoid of her own purpose in life to invite guests to her daughter's house the day after her daughter gets married?

Really?

In what world is this anything other than a pathetic, overbearing, manipulative, and disgustingly rude display of a lack of boundaries?

And who are these people who would even agree to such an invitation? I would never in a million years agree to barge into someone else's home like that, wedding the day before or no. Only the homeowner has the right to extend an invitation to guests. They "want" to see her house? More like the mother's ego extends to her daughter's success as shown by the daughter's beautiful home and the mother has taken it upon herself to foist this little trip onto the guests, who, if they had any sense of decorum at all, would decline the mother's invitation and be mortified on her behalf.

Honestly, I hope the bride and her groom sell the house and move far, far away from these busybodies, but if they can't do that, I hope they at least change the locks. Ye gods!

Old 11-07-2011, 12:38 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,100,366 times
The bride is always right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships