Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 07:53 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,456,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I do things right away. I never wait for marriage. It doesn't always bring the desired result, but I like to be honest about my intentions. If he's not game, there's no deal.
Fair enough! And I assume that's a two-way street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 03:13 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,187,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You've never noticed the trend? It's really obvious. Every time I turn around there is a tyrannical enraged woman who can stomp around and act belligerent and right behind her is a man hunched over sulking and mumbling under his breath looking sad just to make her feel good about herself. I don't get this trend.

I don't think it is a trend but a learned behavior. Either way, very difficult to replace with something different if that person never experienced anything different.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:03 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,770,181 times
Quote:
Has anyone else seen this trend in the USA? Men are supposed to act oppressed and sad to please women and to make the women they know feel good about themselves? On top of that women are permitted to act tyrannical because at one time several decades ago women were not permitted to vote. What is this social cancer about? It's a trend that makes me nauseated.
You're watching too much TV. Most women I know have no interest in a whiney, mopey, mousy man.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:12 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,116,414 times
Quote:
When a retrosexual is on a crowded bus or a commuter train, and a pregnant woman, hell, any woman gets on, that retrosexual stands up and offers his seat to that woman, then looks around at the other so called men still in their seats with a disgusted "you punks" look on his face.
Okkkk....and where is he supposed to sit? On the floor. I have respect for women but I'm not offering my seat to a woman, except if she's pregnant.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,122,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Honestly, did you just make this up?
Yes.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:56 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,420,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Fair enough! And I assume that's a two-way street.
Not necessarily. I'll have to look at the terms. Him and I will surely discuss it for sure.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:48 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,552,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
You're watching too much TV. Most women I know have no interest in a whiney, mopey, mousy man.
Exactly. I'm a woman and I've no idea what artsyguy is talking about...

Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,010,961 times
You know, artsyguy, I've given a couple of flippant responses because I DO think this tends to be overblown. However, I'll provide something more responsive and thoughtful here for the sake of actual "conversation" (as much as what we have in here could be considered, at least):

Yes, there ARE women out there like that. There really are, and there are a LOT of them.

But there are also a LOT of women who aren't that way.

Which ones do you notice? That's the key.

I habitually hold doors for people, but especially for women. For a man, I'll hold the door if his hands are full or if we're both stopped at the same door and just pausing to see who grabs it.

For a woman/for women, I'll pause myself and hold the door even if they're a few steps behind me and I have to wait just a few seconds to allow them to go through.

I'd say about 95 percent of the time I am not thanked at all. Not so much as a nod.

However, I don't stop holding doors for women. There are a bunch of selfish people out there of BOTH sexes and I cannot-Cannot-CANNOT cure them of their jerky, witchy, self-entitled attitudes.

Instead, when I hold the door for a woman and she thanks me, I actually respond "Thank YOU for saying 'thank you'. You'd be amazed how seldom anyone actually does, and it really sets you apart from the rest." I smile in appreciation when I say it, and the appreciation is genuine, sincere.

Women practice gross, negligent and even abusive sexism as often as men, and artsyguy, you can waste your time LAMENTING it...

Or you can make up your mind to ignore them and pay attention to the ones who try to meet you on equitable ground, give as good as they get and don't hold YOU responsible for the ills perpetrated by other men any more than you should hold them responsible for the ills perpetrated by other women.

You can let the "bad ones" change your thinking and infectiously permeate your attitude... or you can allow it to make you appreciate the "good ones" MORE, and develop enough thick skin to tell the bad ones to eff-off and die, to kiss your arse on their way to Hell.

Take a good, clear look around: It's not "women" (although those are the ones you're noticing); it's PEOPLE. They're generally idiots and social crap across the spectrum. For every maligning female activity you can point out, I can point out a generally reciprocal maligning male activity; and for every maligning male activity some woman can point out, I can point out a generally reciprocal maligning female activity.

Live in aggravation or live in appreciation.

It's not really a difficult choice, is it?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:48 AM

37,580 posts, read 45,935,453 times
Quote:
Has anyone else seen this trend in the USA? Men are supposed to act oppressed and sad to please women and to make the women they know feel good about themselves? On top of that women are permitted to act tyrannical because at one time several decades ago women were not permitted to vote. What is this social cancer about? It's a trend that makes me nauseated.
You don't have a realistic perspective. I'm not sure what glasses you wear when looking at people, but you would have more success with people, and life in general, if you could remove them.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:57 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,456,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Okkkk....and where is he supposed to sit? On the floor. I have respect for women but I'm not offering my seat to a woman, except if she's pregnant.
No, he's supposed to stand. It all boils down to one simple issue. Either you're a gentleman or you're not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships