Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 05:14 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,356,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
The only way it changes is through therapy. Your behavior is understandable, but not justifiable.
I agree with the highlighted statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 05:21 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
My abusive childhood explains the way I act. I wished I could change it. I was abused emotionally.
It definately explains your choice in "friends" and the reason you hang on to this relationship for dear life.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:28 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,356 times
You know, I was emotionally and physically abused while growing up and I DO NOT use it as an excuse for my actions. If you are acting in a way that is not healthy that is a CHOICE. Just as it is my choice not to beat my child. Just because I was beaten and emotionally abused does not mean that I have to do the same.

It seems, from other posts here, you have been pretty much asking the same questions wanting different answers. If you are unable to control yourself and are not capable of making the right choices in your life you need to seek some sort of counseling that will help you deal with this.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:36 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,356,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
You know, I was emotionally and physically abused while growing up and I DO NOT use it as an excuse for my actions. If you are acting in a way that is not healthy that is a CHOICE. Just as it is my choice not to beat my child. Just because I was beaten and emotionally abused does not mean that I have to do the same.

It seems, from other posts here, you have been pretty much asking the same questions wanting different answers. If you are unable to control yourself and are not capable of making the right choices in your life you need to seek some sort of counseling that will help you deal with this.
Excellent post...OP read every line!!!!

Old 11-13-2011, 06:32 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Excellent post...OP read every line!!!!
She will. If only she would DO. It's a never-ending circle, and she just can't extricate herself from the mess she's in. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-14-2011 at 01:38 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 07:02 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiippaKiwi View Post
It is better to lose people who truly are not friends.
Mod cut: Stick to the OP's question, please. Please post constructive comments.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-14-2011 at 01:40 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 07:03 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
In answer to the OP's question, you--get this--tell your friend that you were emotionally abused as a child. What do you mean HOW? Just say it.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:12 AM

865 posts, read 1,488,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiansheng_g View Post
I concur with you on that fact: adults who were abused rarely reveal the hidden part of their lives to their friends, colleagues, etc. However, I did tell a coworker once, when things were just going terrible for me, but for the most part I've kept things bottled up for most of my life.

The only advice I can give you, and believe me, it's easier said than done, is to change your attitude about life and learn to protect yourself emotionally, psychologically and physically as well (think strong, be strong, and never cry again). I know it sounds corny, but you've got to learn to love yourself. Good luck.
I could not agree more with this piece of advice - I was abused by family emotionally when I was younger, and was in a physically abusive relationship when younger. I learned later in life that really it is all about your attitude, and that it's not really going to help telling the world. I would be more open about it when I was in my early 20's, going to counseling, etc. and really it blew up in my face. I couldn't even trust the counseler because they would twist things around from session to session, and try to give me pills at the drop of a hat based on my feelings that point in time, even though they would change based on life circumstances.

It wasn't till I realized that I have to change the perception and attitude inside myself, stop making excuses, and try to live the life I deserve. Life is going to change and have some lousy circumstances, it's up to you to take those lemons and make some lemonade out of them. Protect yourself first, this is what I loved about this post - it is so important. Not saying you can't give yourself a good cry once in a while, but you have to rely on yourself to get out of that slump and to move forward so you end the cycle of abuse in your life.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:54 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Mod cut.

Mod cut: Orphaned; referenced post has been cut.

....Katie....don't EVER be afraid to start a new thread...and seek answers to your questions....no matter WHAT anyone else thinks of it....I'll never grow tired of listening to you, and can only hope that at some time...something I've said..will help you feel better about yourself.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-14-2011 at 01:42 PM..

Old 11-14-2011, 09:19 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,824,355 times
If I were you, I'd not bring it up at all unless this person is really close enough that you think they can handle it. Otherwise it may come across as TMI and weird the other person out. I mean what do you say when somebody says "I was abused as a child"? That might be awkward for someone who's never been through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships