Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 01:53 PM

11,143 posts, read 7,900,659 times

Advertisements

Learn to dance OP! You won't look any dorkier than the rest of us out on the floor shaking our money makers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 01:59 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,341,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Blame the DJ.
GO DJ that's my DJ

Old 06-10-2016, 06:11 PM

821 posts, read 460,436 times
You mean like the old days when a young man could dance with a girl and actually hold her hand and place his other hand on the small of her back? OMG, the rush!

Like a glorious sunrise, a double rainbow, the resonance of a perfect engine at a tractor pull, or geese migrating south on the Rocky Mountain Flyway...................... A memory that will never grow dim.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:43 PM

6,611 posts, read 4,844,133 times
1) Most younger men these days probably don't know how to slow dance.
2) Soft AC is intimate and often about existing committed relationships, which would be weird in an atmosphere where many people aren't looking to settle down and start families. (In other words, blame changing social mores.)

Old 06-27-2016, 12:06 AM

19,256 posts, read 15,137,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Ah yes, I miss the opportunity to grope, fondle, and pet my dancing partner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Man I haven't been slow-dancing since I was eleven and asked the cutest blonde in school to dance with me, she did 6 times and my mind was afloat for like 3 weeks lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
You mean like the old days when a young man could dance with a girl and actually hold her hand and place his other hand on the small of her back? OMG, the rush!
I've always thought it was kind of fascinating, how slow dancing is acceptable with a perfect stranger. I mean, if you didn't know the person, it would, in most (many?) people's minds, be completely unacceptable to embrace them, lean in close, and sway together. It's basically a G-rated version of sex. It's so intimate, I just think it's funny how it's a common form of fraternizing with someone, even if you've only just met.

You're gonna tell me this is just about dancing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbuYrnzTLrw

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 06-27-2016 at 12:17 AM..

Old 06-27-2016, 03:21 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,671,635 times
Dancing is a vertical expression of a horizontal desire.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:26 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,744,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I've always thought it was kind of fascinating, how slow dancing is acceptable with a perfect stranger. I mean, if you didn't know the person, it would, in most (many?) people's minds, be completely unacceptable to embrace them, lean in close, and sway together. It's basically a G-rated version of sex. It's so intimate, I just think it's funny how it's a common form of fraternizing with someone, even if you've only just met.

You're gonna tell me this is just about dancing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbuYrnzTLrw
Thanks for the helpful link

Tbh, I guess sometimes I just kinda wish that instead of just Hard AC, Rap, Journey, etc. a DJ might throw in songs like these, for a slow dance:

(A popular Soft AC hit, from about 2001 or thereabouts)

(Another popular late-90's - early 00's Soft AC hit)

Or, if the above are "too soft", and it needs to be something a bit more danceable, even something like this:

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 06-30-2016 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: Edits

Old 06-30-2016, 05:33 AM

Also, a few more examples (the lyrics are admittedly not 100% perfect, but the sound / musical style is intended as the focus):

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 06-30-2016 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: Adds

Old 06-30-2016, 05:52 AM

Admittedly, these may be "too soft" or the lyrics too verbally-intimate to be considered appropriate for a public dance event, but these are more examples of what I personally consider to be truer to genuine Soft AC than say for example the softer-themed songs of Journey or Billy Joel:

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 06-30-2016 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: Adds

Old 06-30-2016, 06:21 AM

1,199 posts, read 728,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarPaladin View Post
Not weddings -- I haven't been to any wedding receptions in quite a few years, lol

I guess what I'm talking about is the kind of music they play when you go to things like New Year's parties, and clubs / pubs / etc. Even when they actually play "slow(er)" songs, they tend to be toned-down rock/pop songs from artists like Journey, Billy Joel, etc., at least in my exp. thus far. But not true Soft AC (as in, real love songs or love ballads, from artists like say Jim Brickman)
I DJ regularly at a very popular club in my city. I'd be laughed off the decks and never called back if I dropped a love ballad or even some true R&B.

The goal of the night, especially at a club / bar that is heavily geared toward dancing, is energy. You build energy to a crescendo a few times a night but even in the lower energy spots, it's still quite upbeat. True slow jams have no place in modern dance clubs today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships