Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:03 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Offer to go grocery shopping for them, take them out to dinner a few times, bring fresh flowers home with you after work, take them to a movie. Help out in the kitchen, especially cleaning up.

Your in-laws sound like nice folks. Enjoy their company!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 10:09 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,614,376 times
If it is your in-laws. I would not classify you as a house guest. You would be family. In my house family is family, they are welcome to anything I have. By bringing in your own food to me is a sign of you not considering them family in my book. Just act at home, but I would make sure I do my share of the house keeping like you would your own home.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:00 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Short visit? A gift and a thank-you note.

A long visit? An offer to pick up some groceries, help out with chores, and take your hosts out to dinner somewhere nice.

But, above all, don't treat your host's house as if it were a hotel. Clean up after yourself, respect their things, don't force them to entertain you constantly, and pitch in with a few chores here and there.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:08 AM

143 posts, read 192,789 times
Thanks for all of your suggestions, sounds good to me.

I guess it is true that I am more family than houseguest, but I still feel bad imposing on anyone. I worry too much, I guess.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:23 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times
we stay with my in-laws regularly when we are in Switzerland and every visit my husband and I cook dinner for them. So I go grocery shipping for everything incl wine etc and they love to try new stuff. In the past it has been curry, mexican and Thai. I usually go for a long walk everyday and pick up things from the grocery store on my way back, It might only be milk or bread to have that evening or some special cheese that wee can share with a glass of red with supper. They really appreciate it. I always do my own laundry and instead of sitting in my room I sit in the winter-garden / conservatory on the lounger if I want to read and they tend to wonder in and out and we chat then or if they are making a coffee they offer one and I join them for it. I am studying so I do remind them that I do have a heavy reading load so they don't think I am just being rude. Every morning we discuss our plans for the day and they invite me if they are going to a nearby town etc - sometimes I going them - sometimes I say no that I have to do extra work as I am falling behind. Everyone is happy.
My FIL always buys lots of things I like that they don't normally have in and I always buy them things from wherever we live that I know they have a hard time finding, or something like a really good wine they wouldn't normally buy themselves....
I always send a bunch of flowers when we leave too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships