Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:02 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times

Advertisements

I would make it shorter, it is nice to talk about your interests but I think you made it a bit too specific, maybe instead of talking about 10 things you like, talk about 5.

I do not like the first paragraph, I don't see a need to state to women that you are not a weirdo or a creep, like someone said, it may sound like you are trying too hard to convince them that you are not weird and some women may see it as a red flag.

I would not mention anything about video games, as a matter of fact, a lot of women may not want to pursue you because of that, there are just too many dudes out there who spend hours playing games and women get really turned off by that

A few years ago, I was working on my first online dating profile and one of the best advices I got was, to make your profile sound as positive as possible, but at the same time, realistic, honest and truthful.

I would remove anything that deals with negativity like past relationships, meeting women who are not stable, bad experiences, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 08:10 AM

22 posts, read 30,981 times
Its funny you guys think my profile is long... when I started writing it was about 4 times that. I could never understand the people who say things like "I don't know what to put her". Really? Well you must have an IQ of a squirrel than, I'm definitely not emailing you lol!

I don't really want to remove the first paragraph, its important for me to find a girl with a sense of humor who gets my jokes.

As far as the make-up thing, I guess if it came off wrong I'll take it off. All I said was that I find it attractive when a girl can be confident without make-up or dressing up all the time and that's pretty honest and truthful. I'm just not into girls who take 3 hours to get ready before leaving the house, I've dated girls like that and they are very superficial and materialistic usually.

Anyhow, thanks for feedback guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
I could not see your pics..
Not sure why, they are working, you just gotta copy/paste the middle part (without the URL). Question - which is better as a main profile pic: A or B?

A:
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/752/alex15e.th.jpg (broken link)

B:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8605/alex10o.th.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by FunMike; 11-26-2011 at 08:24 AM..

Old 11-26-2011, 08:29 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunMike View Post
... Question - which is better as a main profile pic: A or B?

A:

B:
Definitely B

Old 11-26-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Hello POF! First off, congratulations to all you lucky single ladies searching for a super awesome guy to date because I am now officially single and available! I do realize that its a little strange looking to meet people online, but I assure you that I'm a sane, normal guy. I promise I'm not some creepo looking to hump anything that moves, and I definitely won't be sending you photos of my package, so at least you don't have to worry about that.

Now that we got that out of the way -- a little about me. I grew up in Europe and moved to the U.S. to attend college to study management. After graduating, I decided to make Miami my home and started a business in the automotive industry. I would definitely consider myself a very hard-working and ambitious person, but not to the point that I let my business consume all of my time and energy. In my free time I like going to the beach, working out, spending an evening in a nice restaurant with friends, etc. I love traveling and discovering new places. I like to travel outside FL at least once every couple of months, and outside the U.S. at least twice a year. I'm not a big partier but do go out to clubs once in a while when a really good DJ is playing.

I enjoy watching movies and have a very diverse taste (some of my favorites are Dark Knight, Inception, Scarface, Pan's Labyrinth, Interview with the Vampire, Edward Scissorhands, etc) and shows (big fan of Dexter), as well as gaming on PS3 occasionally; I enjoy all gaming genres from racing to RPG's. I love listening to rock music, my favorite bands are The Beatles, Guns & Roses, and Aerosmith. My favorite song of all time is "Let It Be" (always wanted to learn guitar but can never find time for it, maybe one day...). I also like going to concerts and shows! My other interests include photography, learning about new cultures, and trying new cuisines. I can't live without steak, seafood, and sushi!

I'm a huge car and motorcycle guy and love taking mine to the race track. Health is also important to me. To stay in shape I practice jiujitsu, lift weights, swim, and enjoy running outdoors (especially on the beach). MMA - what does MMA stand for? is my favorite sport, I watch most UFC and Strikeforce events. Basically I try to live life to the fullest and get the most out of every day! I'm also very passionate about helping others, especially kids. I'm currently working on starting a nonprofit organization that donates used Sony PSP's to children's hospitals and foster homes. I didn't have much growing up and it means a lot to me to be able to make some very unlucky kids a little happier and improve their outlook on life. My biggest aspiration in life is to make a significant positive difference in the world.

As far as what I'm looking for - I'm hoping to find a girl who's beautiful inside and out: in other words, someone who is kindhearted, honest, and emotionally stable (a little drama is OK, just don't go psychotic on me). I also find it very attractive when a girl is comfortable in her own skin and doesn't need five layers of makeup or the latest fashion wear to feel pretty and carry herself with confidence. The biggest turn-off for me would have to be when girls start playing games; life's too short for that. I want someone I can be myself with, not someone I have to try to impress 24/7. I'm not a date-a-million-girls at the same time kind of guy, my last relationship was 5 years long and by now I know exactly what I want in life. I don't like superficial and fake things, so if I'm seeing someone I want it to be meaningful.
It isn't too bad - but it's too wordy. I'd delete the red and add the blue.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
...I don't really want to remove the first paragraph, its important for me to find a girl with a sense of humor who gets my jokes....
I get most humour - but honestly - it just comes across as smug.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:44 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Its funny you guys think my profile is long... when I started writing it was about 4 times that. I could never understand the people who say things like "I don't know what to put her". Really? Well you must have an IQ of a squirrel than, I'm definitely not emailing you lol!
I don't think it's long, but I'm like you - I don't want people with the attention span of a fly.

Quote:
I don't really want to remove the first paragraph, its important for me to find a girl with a sense of humor who gets my jokes.
The first sentence does sound like you're a little too full of yourself... Also, there is a bit of a contradiction between being new to online dating and knowing all about pics of packages. I wouldn't be necessarily turned off by that first paragraph, but it's not the best. Many people share the opinion that when somebody says they're not something, they're often just that. You might want to think of something still funny, but more light-hearted and positive-sounding.

You might also want to skip the drama and games references in the last paragraph. Nobody doing that will come out and admit it and the rest will be put off by your evident experience with that, which makes mentioning it useless.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
...I would not mention anything about video games, as a matter of fact, a lot of women may not want to pursue you because of that, there are just too many dudes out there who spend hours playing games and women get really turned off by that....
All really good advice (in your entire post) - my first reaction to the above was "yes - don't mention it" BUT if he is a guy that does spend a lot of time playing video games then on second thought, maybe it IS best to state it from the outset so there are no nasty surprises?

Old 11-26-2011, 08:50 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
All really good advice (in your entire post) - my first reaction to the above was "yes - don't mention it" BUT if he is a guy that does spend a lot of time playing video games then on second thought, maybe it IS best to state it from the outset so there are no nasty surprises?
He does say "occasionally," which may or may not be true...

Old 11-26-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
He does say "occasionally," which may or may not be true...
My bad for not reading carefully
In that case I'm with Repubo and would remove reference entirely.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:31 AM

22 posts, read 30,981 times
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. I removed the first sentence. I did say "occasional" about video games, but I guess if that comes off as "potential gamer nerd-type", I'll remove it completely although that's not true lol

So about the two pics, others agree B is better than A for main one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships