Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 03:30 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times

Advertisements

No need to be scared, 30 is a number, that's all.
The actual "frontier" in a man or woman's life if 50 : one topples over the category "old"
"middle aged" rather, but it's the first step to old age.
30 was for me the best time of my life, when I had the most success with the opposite sex , after 35 though, it goes downhill fast in that respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 04:36 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I didn't even MEET my SO (or any decent guys) until I turned 30. Thus far, 30s have proven to be much more about hitting my stride than the all-over-the-place, volatile twenties were. I wasn't a huge fan of the growing pains that came with my twenties (then or in retrospect), but obviously they were necessary. But the past few years since turning 30 have been so much better, to be honest.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:56 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddock_laker View Post
People have to keep having kids, or the human race will die out!

I hate it when people have LOTS of kids. I'm for sure having no more than two.
What would be the problem if the human race died out?
We haven't been good stewards of the planet.
How strange to feel compelled to have kids because of a silly, and clearly unfounded, fear. No need to worry about humans dying out.

Are you sure that there will be jobs and affordable education for your offspring? Are you bringing them into a world with limited resources and potential?

There are 7 Billion people on the planet.
U.S. & World Population Clocks

Last edited by chielgirl; 11-28-2011 at 05:07 AM..

Old 11-28-2011, 05:28 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
I'm 33, ain't nothing wrong with the 30's brother. Though its much tougher to pull an all nighter compared to your 20's haha.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:44 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
paddock_laker;21884014]People have to keep having kids, or the human race will die out!

I'm assuming this is tongue-in-cheek but I'll comment anyway. Have kids because you WANT to have kids, the human race will not die out anytime soon so no need in worrying about that.

Oh no problem...those with lots of kids are just making up for those that don't have kids at all. It all evens out in the end.

On a more serious note, you are male so there is no biological clock working against you here. Settle down when you are good and ready, there is no rush to do so before that point in time. 30's is not the end of the road for you. You are still young and have plenty of time to find a partner in life.

Last edited by *Sixy*; 11-28-2011 at 05:52 AM..

Old 11-28-2011, 06:10 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times
Newsflash: It's your life and you can do what you want. Stop living your life off of anecdotal BS.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:00 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddock_laker View Post
People have to keep having kids, or the human race will die out!

Yeah, with 7 billion people on the planet, we're just teetering on the brink of extinction, all right.

Worry about developing a relationship, getting married, and having kids when you meet someone who inspires you to think about those things.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:40 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,979 times
Well, reading this made me nervous. I'm turning 19 in six days and want to get married and start a family soon (within in a few years) but what if I'm like the OP and am still unmarried and childless at 30? (no offense to you OP) I have a feeling that things in life are going to start moving fast for me now. Being 18 went by really really fast, seems like it was just yesterday when I turned 18 last year. Before I know it, I'm going to be in my mid 30s...

Honestly, I just want to get married and have children already. If I were already with the right girl, had a decent job, a home, if the cost of living were lower and if I didn't have to go to college, I would have probably gotten married by now.

Last edited by 90sman; 11-28-2011 at 07:52 AM..

Old 11-28-2011, 07:56 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Well, reading this made me nervous. I'm turning 19 in six days and want to get married and start a family soon (within in a few years) but what if I'm like the OP and am still unmarried and childless at 30? (no offense to you OP) I have a feeling that things in life are going to start moving fast for me now. Being 18 went by really really fast, seems like it was just yesterday when I turned 18 last year. Before I know it, I'm going to be in my mid 30s...

Honestly, I just want to get married and have children already. If I were already with the right girl, had a decent job, a home, if the cost of living were lower and if I didn't have to go to college, I would have probably gotten married by now.
Trust me, the dating scene is ****ing awful and going off of your posts it's not gonna be much better in college (you don't strike me as the multiple one-night-stands kind of guy)... but in the end you'll be better off if you put off marriage till after college. You change way too much in your late teens and early 20s. You can't get a good job unless you go to trade school or college. Go to school, work hard, maybe you'll meet a sweet girl, you can court her and all that, then once you graduate and get a job then you can start thinking about marriage.

I'd love to meet the perfect girl for me right now, but even if I did I wouldn't marry her before graduating and I certainly wouldn't have kids till about age 30.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:02 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Your profile says you're a clinical psychologist, I'm curious what advice you'd give to a patient if they came to you with this concern.

You might want to stop putting too much stock into milestone birthdays. Most of us won't set the world on fire by 30, 40, 50 or whatever age you've set for yourself. In fact, I find for myself, it's easier to just "move the goal post" than to beat myself up over the things I did not accomplish by a given age. Focus more on short term goals and fulfillment on a regular basis rather than counting what you don't have by 30 or whatever magical number you've been conditioned to stress over. I'm sure if you made a list of all the things you do have, you'll probably be pretty happy with yourself.

Last edited by Coolhand68; 11-28-2011 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships