You're being self-defeatist. I'm 32, and for the longest, I also couldn't get repeat dates. It's just how the cards fell. Fortunately, I met my current BF 6 months ago, and it's been wonderful. But I can see some marked differences between myself and you (potentially). Think about the following:
1. Know what you are looking for. At age 37, my guess is that you want to find a long term relationship...a spouse even. Are you dating women who are similar-minded in this regard?
2. Look at each date as a new opportunity. A new date is approaching you with a clean slate. No need to drag bad feelings of previous failed relationships (or attempts at relationships) along with you.
3. Focus on your strengths, not your weakness. What do you like about yourself; what have others (especially women) complimented you on? Are you kind? Are you athletic? Etc.
4. Look in a variety of places; you never know. I found my BF online via Craigslist. But I was also going to singles events, had memberships to paid dating sites...all of that. You have to open up as many channels as possible to meet people.
5. Get over your fears of rejection and take your mind off potential "problems". It just gets in the way of you getting dates. My Grandfather always told me that when it comes to dating, the best thing that someone can tell you is "goodbye"; meaning that if someone is not feeling you, then it's their loss, and the sooner you move on, the better.
Also "being ugly" should not be a problem. I've dated drop-dead gorgeous, GQ model-looking men; but my BF is not a handsome man. In fact, he sort of reminds me of Icabod Crane from Disney's cartoon, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
. But he was a popular guy in school, and has never had an issue with getting girls. Why? Well #1 he has "swagger"; he's confident, he's a good person, he stands up for what he believes in. #2, he knows how to dress. His good taste in clothes helps detract from the fact that he doesn't have the most beautiful face in the world.