Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 08:38 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Yes, maybe. But we are in this country, and here it is considered against the law and socially unacceptable for an adult to have a romantic relationship with a child under the age of 16. (I guess - haven't looked at your link yet)
The relationship might've started before 16; if the sex hasn't started before 16, it's perfectly legal. Also, when you look at the link you'll see the age of consent is 15 in two states. Maybe they are Disneyland for teens who want to have sex without going to jail. Legal does not equal socially acceptable. "Acceptable" is a matter of personal judgment. To you it may be unacceptable to ever have sex. Guess what... nobody else cares.

Quote:
Do you have children, and if so, would you be ok with them dating their teachers or youth pastors? (Please don't read that in a snarky way. Just trying to add to the discussion. )
No, I don't have children. I did have normal youth, though. And no, I don't have any horses in this race. I waited to have sex till I was 18 - for personal reasons. If it weren't for those reasons, I could've happily had it at 14.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:39 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,664,286 times
That would make Celine Dion's husband a pedophile then.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:40 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
This thread is encouraging. All this time I've been assuming it would be inappropriate and creepy for me (32 years old) to woo and sex a young teen. But now I see that age is just a number and it's perfectly fine as long as we get married later. I think tomorrow I'll go hang around the driver's testing center and see if I can help a girl get her learner's permit. I promise I won't have sex with her until we're in love, though. I'm not a sicko, after all.
LOL!Anyway we can encourage "true love"!!I think others have to look at the big picture here...we are not debating teenagers having sex with eachother...it's when a person in authority crosses a line with a teenager! Just an aside if there was a lower age of consent I fear it would be a field day with just the behavior you were joking about...and as a parent that would be extremely upsetting!!When my daughter was 15 I found out a 25 year old was texting her...all it took was one text back to this guy informing him that if he contacted her again in any manner I would be contacting the police.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:43 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
I'm talking about a 15 year old and a 26 year old. Let's say a 15 year old child and a 26 year old teacher (since apparently the story in the OP is so confusing) Would that be an appropriate relationship, or is the adult an ephebophile? What if his/her intent was to court, sleep with, and eventually marry the child. Does that make it alright? If so, how can we know the intent?
He does not appear to be attracted to teens, it was just her. And while I don't approve of a 26 year old teacher dating a 15 year old... it's done and over with.

And apparently ended very well. There are exceptions to all the rules, and this appears to be one.

Why do you seem to have such a problem with this when it occured to very long ago, and ended well?

Old 12-01-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
That would make Celine Dion's husband a pedophile then.
And numerous others. That's why I was wondering how Elvis didn't get into any trouble, considering Roman Polanski practically turned into a fugitive. Were those laws not in place at the time...?

Old 12-01-2011, 08:45 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
No, wait until 10 years later... Let people start probing it.

As I spelled it out earlier. It should have been addressed at the time it was going on. And for all intent and purpose, the parents might have addressed it.
I agree that there's no use trying to do something about it now. I didn't get the impression that the OP was trying to get the girl to press charges or anything. You do bring up another interesting point, though. I wonder if the parents did address it at the time, but decided it was okay? And if they were okay with it, I wonder how much of that, if any, was due to the fact that he was the youth pastor. I wonder if the parents knew he was having sex with their daughter before they were married? (at the churches I grew up in, if it was found he was having even legal sex outside of marriage he would have been fired and probably excommunicated) When I was 17 and nearing 18, I started dating a girl who was 15. At first her mom wouldn't allow it, but after getting to know me she was fine with it. Of course, I was only 2.5 year older than her, and we never had sex anyway. But the fact is, her mother was still leery of the age difference and that seemed fairly normal to me at the time. I can imagine what she would have said if the 26 year old me had attempted to date her 15 year old daughter.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:50 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
He does not appear to be attracted to teens, it was just her. And while I don't approve of a 26 year old teacher dating a 15 year old... it's done and over with.
Perhaps.

In your opinion, when is it ok for a teen to date an adult? Earlier, another poster mentioned a scenario where she was asked out on a date by an adult (18) when she was 14. His intentions were pure, and her father met and discussed the date with the boy beforehand. Other than that particular case, is there another way someone could know intent? (again, please don't read with snark, just hoping to further facilitate the discussion )

Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
And numerous others. That's why I was wondering how Elvis didn't get into any trouble, considering Roman Polanski practically turned into a fugitive. Were those laws not in place at the time...?
I didn't know that about Elvis until this thread. Cases like Elvis, Celine Dion and others are why I keep bringing up intent. Is there a way to know intent, and if so, would it have any bearing on the legality of the relationship? And possibly validate it for those of us who have a hard time understanding.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Earlier, another poster mentioned a scenario where she was asked out on a date by an adult (18) when she was 14.
Seriously, do you think that boy is any more of an "adult"?!

Btw, it's totally amazing how much things have changed in a century law-wise... People and their urges, on the other hand, haven't changed all that much.

In the USA in the 1890s most states had an age of consent of 10-12 with Delaware setting its age of consent at 7. In 1895 it was still 7 according to a New York Times article [17]. However, feminists and children's rights activists began advocating raising the age of consent to 16 wanting to ultimately raise it to 18 and by 1920 almost all states had raised their age of consent to 16 or 18.[18].

Age of consent reform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-01-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Is there a way to know intent, and if so, would it have any bearing on the legality of the relationship?
No, there isn't. Always looking for guarantees seems to be a strange attitude I observe here in many contexts. There are no guarantees for anything. However, the way things stand here now, any man with half a brain shoul stay away from a jailbait. I would. No relationship, no sex, no marriage is worth your whole life ruined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.