Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 04:24 PM

433 posts, read 1,370,038 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to become less shy and opening up more and making friends with people my own age. I realize I'm not shy at all with old or middle aged guys, just guys in my age range (I'm 20), especially the "cool" ones, meaning the talkative, joking guys who goof around. I realize the best way to overcome this fear is to force myself to go up to them as much as possible and be as sociable as I can.

There's a reason for our fears and you might be wondering why I'm so shy or "scared" to talk to these kinds of guys. I guess it's because of my past in high school. I was the loner and labelled "retard" by other guys, the cool ones, because of misunderstandings at the beginning of high school when I acted stupid just to get attention. But people are more mature and these guys in my trade school class know I'm a regular guy and we've made small-talk. So maybe I should just be sociable and joke around with them when I have the chance, and my fear of cool guys my age will overcome.

There was a time a year ago when I was in another trade class and I wanted to show some "cool" guys some design that I had made on the computer. I wanted to call them over to my desk to show them and it was so hard for me to do. I would open my mouth and no sound would come out. My heart was pounding and I didn't know if I'd be able to do it. I forced the words out and I showed them my work. They complimented me and stuff and went back to their desk. After I did that, I felt this huge relief that I did it. But if felt kind of ridiculous that it was such a struggle to do something like that. For someone with regular social skills, the stress and relief I felt would be something they'd feel if they jumped out a window and survived. Maybe that's a bad example, but hopefully you guys know what I mean.

So is what I have in mind true? Is this the best way to overcome my somewhat-ridiculous fear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 07:24 PM

346 posts, read 507,479 times
Generally speaking the best way to desensitize yourself from fears is to confront them straight on, so keep pushing yourself a little at a time, and stop boxing yourself in and "labeling" people as cool or not cool.....we are who we are, we each have something to offer, even if it's just a "hello"

Old 12-20-2011, 07:32 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Cool people have flaws too. A gorgeous man seems great, then you find out he is a schizophrenic.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 PM

429 posts, read 1,148,251 times
I think Addictedd2Helping offered some really good advice.

I'd only add that you might think about taking a class in public speaking or acting. That'll give you practice talking in front of people, and you'll get some feedback from your teacher and classmates on how you're doing.

Also, have you considered getting an assessment from a counselor or psychologist, just to see if you have a social or cognitive deficit that you're unaware of? It may be completely unnecessary, but it would certainly be worth knowing either way.

Good luck to you!

Old 12-20-2011, 07:41 PM

733 posts, read 1,663,757 times
I can relate to you. I find myself enjoying the company of/getting along better with older men (29+) than guys of my own age (25). They tend to be more mature, caring, knowledgeable and appreciative of my values. I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing that your friends are much older than you, as we all have our niche, but good for you for wanting to make changes.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:20 PM

217 posts, read 431,342 times
Maybe you just aren't into guys your own age?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:29 PM

433 posts, read 1,370,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon17 View Post
Maybe you just aren't into guys your own age?
No, I am. I know it's weird, but those are the guys I wanna hang out with most. We have the most stuff in common like movies, video games, etc. I'd be alot happier hanging with guys my own age too. Plus, I wanna get my first girl soon, and how am I gonna do that hanging out with old guys??

BTW, I have no trouble talking to girls of any age...

Old 12-20-2011, 09:16 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
Take a public speaking class.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:52 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Forget trying to impress the cool kids. I know you feel as though you are on the outside looking in, but if these type of guys treated you poorly or wrote you off as a "retard", do you really want to be their friends, and if so, why? Is it just to score with women? You can do that all on your own without the company of the toolbags who are too wrapped up in themselves that they need to ridicule others to get a laugh.

Shoot for quality over quantity, this goes for your make friends as well as any potential women you are interested in dating.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:48 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
I thought this labeling ended after we turned 18 and left high school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships