U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you make your bed?
Yes! Always 28 62.22%
No. Why bother? 7 15.56%
Sometimes, for good reasons 6 13.33%
Only when we change the sheets. 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2011, 06:25 PM

15,939 posts, read 7,555,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My BF was in the Marines, and learned how to make a bed so taut you could bounce a quarter off of it. I love a man that knows how to make a bed!
I can make the bed so it's not nasty looking to look at, but I Don't need to go to the frikken military to have a guy standing overtop of me 18 hours a day telling me how I should make a damn bed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 06:29 PM

5,501 posts, read 2,305,591 times
Quote:
Yup. I love a beautiful bed. I totally enjoy walking into my bedroom, seeing the bed, and just going....ahhhhhhhhhh....
I can relate.
I consider my house a sanctuary, a place that reflects peace and personality, hence...I like to keep it orderly.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:47 PM

17,575 posts, read 16,361,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I can make the bed so it's not nasty looking to look at, but I Don't need to go to the frikken military to have a guy standing overtop of me 18 hours a day telling me how I should make a damn bed.
LOL. Honey, they'd be telling you far more than that. And as far as I'm concerned, most guys benefit from the experience.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:51 PM

15,939 posts, read 7,555,208 times
Quote:
LOL. Honey, they'd be telling you far more than that. And as far as I'm concerned, most guys benefit from the experience.

I certainly know that.

I would not gel with the military. Though i'm a pretty happy laid back guy, I'd probably get discharged for something something bad enough just so I could get out.

Of course, this is assuming I'd be forced into the military. God knows I'd never join willing.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:13 PM

2,658 posts, read 4,786,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I'm sorry, I would be dead if I spent any time in the military with some idget of a drill sargent telling me how to make a freaking bed.
You'd probably get drummed out quickly or else be assigned some asinine chore like painting all the rocks on the base as punishment. My Dh is ex-military. The neatness thing didn't stick with him after he left, but things like precise bed making; even bizarre procedures like making sure the top was on your toothpaste, there were no drips on the sides, and it was flattened; were to instill discipline and unthinking response to orders.

As for making the bed, I leave mine to air, then make it in the afternoon. The sheets are all fluffed (irreverent Spouse remarks "shake the f@rts out" ), the pillows punched, then everything smoothed out. Not making the bed=messy, to me.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:15 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,050,633 times
My wife makes our bed every morning, unless I'm stilll snoozin' when she leaves for work at 7:30 a.m. (Which, come to think of it, is about half the time.) Hmmm...So I guess we both make it, but I admit I don't do it nearly as well as her. She does the whole hospital corner deal, and I just sorta pull the top sheet and the quilt up over the pillows and smooth out the big wrinkles. This shoddy attempt at domestic neatness has earned the D-Boy an ass-chewing on more than one occasion from Leah, but I remain largely ignorant of the finer points of perfect bed-making.
Besides, as I continually tell my wife in an attempt at defense, I read somewhere that making the bed very loosely or even leaving it unmade is better, since it cuts down on the interior heat that perpetuates the proliferation of dust mites! Go ahead and Google it if ya don't belieeeve me. LOL

Old 12-07-2011, 04:23 PM

I just got an anonymous rep. I would like to reciprocate if you would just sign it.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:25 PM

5,976 posts, read 3,719,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Nobody sees it but us. Company comes we shut our door.

I guess I ask because all my coworkers were 40+...so I thought maybe this is a pet peeve of the older generation?

40+ equates to "older generation"?? I didn't realize us "old folks" like a neat house. I guess I must have always been an "old soul" because I've been making my bed since I was a kid.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
40+ equates to "older generation"?? I didn't realize us "old folks" like a neat house. I guess I must have always been an "old soul" because I've been making my bed since I was a kid.
I feel insulted as well.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:40 PM

16,121 posts, read 18,436,650 times
I guess it depends on how you were raised. I'm a person who likes a smooth tidy bed..top sheet folded over blanket and everything tucked in. DH, on the other hand was raised on the "throw a comforter over a bottom sheet and call it a made bed" method. This, as you might imagine, required a few lessons on my part.
He still needs to untuck the sheets at the bottom of the bed every night. OK. He still doesn't get the concept of putting the top sheet upside down so when you fold it over it's the right side, but all in all, he's willing to make the bed if he's home, so I cut him some slack.
In all honesty, if we leave early, the bed doesn't always get made, and we don't care.

I think the big controversy here is whether or not bed making, or no bed making, is a sign of the collapse of society. So my opinion is that neat and tidy bed making IS a sign of a civilized society.

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-07-2011 at 05:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships