U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you make your bed?
Yes! Always 28 62.22%
No. Why bother? 7 15.56%
Sometimes, for good reasons 6 13.33%
Only when we change the sheets. 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-07-2011, 04:47 PM

5,177 posts, read 2,885,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I guess it depends on how you were raised. I'm a person who likes a smooth tidy bed..top sheet folded over blanket and everything tucked in. DH, on the other hand was raised on the "throw a comforter over a bottom sheet and call it a made bed" method. This, as you might imagine, required a few lessons on my part.
He still needs to untuck the sheets at the bottom of the bed every night. OK. He still doesn't get the concept of putting the top sheet upside down so when you fold it over it's the right side, but all in all, he's willing to make the bed if he's home, so I cut him some slack.

I'm not picky. If I don't get a chance to throw the extra pillows, no biggie. It's one thing to not make it at all. Making it somewhat where the sheets are flat and the comforter is pulled up is better than nothing IMO. At least if someone happens to walk in to your bedroom you're not like LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-07-2011, 04:57 PM

5,446 posts, read 2,057,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I guess it depends on how you were raised. I'm a person who likes a smooth tidy bed..top sheet folded over blanket and everything tucked in. DH, on the other hand was raised on the "throw a comforter over a bottom sheet and call it a made bed" method. This, as you might imagine, required a few lessons on my part.
He still needs to untuck the sheets at the bottom of the bed every night. OK. He still doesn't get the concept of putting the top sheet upside down so when you fold it over it's the right side, but all in all, he's willing to make the bed if he's home, so I cut him some slack.
In all honesty, if we leave early, the bed doesn't always get made, and we don't care.
You have a sweetie for a husband.
I always tell my hubby that it's the thought and effort that count whenever he does some cleaning around the house...it motivates him.

Unread 12-07-2011, 06:20 PM

406 posts, read 288,106 times
our bed is made every day .... I wouldn't be able to stand it if it weren't.
sometimes I make it, sometimes he does ... usually it's whoever gets up last

as others posted, the bed is just not fresh if it's not made. a made bed looks so inviting; an unmade bed looks sloppy

imo

Unread 12-07-2011, 08:50 PM

3,400 posts, read 4,439,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
40+ equates to "older generation"?? I didn't realize us "old folks" like a neat house. I guess I must have always been an "old soul" because I've been making my bed since I was a kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I feel insulted as well.
You'll live. 40+ = youre twice my age or more=Older generation.
Most people I know dont make their beds either.

I must be the only one who hates a made bed. It doesnt feel like mine and the crap just gets in the way when Im ready to go to bed. The sheets are still the ones you laid on...making it up doesnt make it cleaner. Just saying.

Unread 12-08-2011, 09:42 AM

4,783 posts, read 2,325,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Guess you could use the same logic about washing clothes or other household chores & yet they get done. To me not making the bed is equivalent of leaving clothes on the floor, dirty dishes laying around; sloppy & unkept.
Same here. I won’t go to bed leaving dirty dishes in the kitchen, boxes, etc. Won’t go to work without making the bed. I like coming back from work, opening the door, and knowing I am there to relax and maybe do a few chores here and there each day instead of lumping them all for the weekend. Friends can drop by any day and I won’t stress about it since I know my place is clean .

Unread 12-08-2011, 09:54 AM

13,040 posts, read 13,667,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Same here. I won’t go to bed leaving dirty dishes in the kitchen, boxes, etc. Won’t go to work without making the bed. I like coming back from work, opening the door, and knowing I am there to relax and maybe do a few chores here and there each day instead of lumping them all for the weekend. Friends can drop by any day and I won’t stress about it since I know my place is clean .

I am exactly the same. I just cannot leave messy dishes or stuff on the floor. It will prey on my mind and bother me. I love knowing my house is lovely, neat, clean and tidy at all times. I also find that if you tidy and clean as you go along it takes far less time than when things build up and you end up clearing a bombsite rather than a couple of out of place things.

Some friends of mine dropped in unannounced whilst I was ill as a surprise ( Hubby was away for the night and they wanted to cheer me up , coming with ice cream and treats) , something I usually despise ( but "forgave" because it was such a sweet lovely thing to do and so considerate really) and I was actually embarassed because I had been lazy that day and reading the Sunday papers and some of it was on the floor waiting for me to scoop it up !

Everything else was still tidy but I hated the fact that I had left the papers on the floor. I know I am a freak but such is life !

Even when I am sick I will still tidy up and clean as much as I can. It won't be as vigorous or perfect but I could simply not let things accumulate.

The idea of living in messy surroundings is completely alien to me. To me order is required for my mind to function as well as it can.

There is something so satisfying looking around your house and seeing everything in its place and looking ordered .

Unread 12-08-2011, 09:55 AM

14,722 posts, read 6,597,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I admire neat people. I'm just not one of them! I am the person that stresses when people are coming over - trying to get everything in order! I'm just not a neat person. I'm not a dirty person but I am messy. So is the hubby so it's not a point of contention or anything. But as far as the bed goes - we only sleep with a bottom sheet and a big silk comforter (the silk being on the inside, not the outside). If there is a bottom sheet (like in hotels and such) we both kick it to the bottom and wrap ourselves in the comforter. We just sleep better that way. I do keep the guest bedroom bed made at all times but I must confess that I am horrible at making the bed.

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Status: "Just saying "Hello" can lead to a million things." (set 6 days ago)

18,982 posts, read 17,964,679 times
Everyday. If I cannot make it in the morning ( I will at least flip the covers to air ), I will do before I go to bed. I cannot fall asleep on an unmade bed.
Moderated forums: Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating.
Moderator list: FAQ

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:11 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,626,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I am exactly the same. I just cannot leave messy dishes or stuff on the floor. It will prey on my mind and bother me. I love knowing my house is lovely, neat, clean and tidy at all times. I also find that if you tidy and clean as you go along it takes far less time than when things build up and you end up clearing a bombsite rather than a couple of out of place things.

Some friends of mine dropped in unannounced whilst I was ill as a surprise ( Hubby was away for the night and they wanted to cheer me up , coming with ice cream and treats) , something I usually despise ( but "forgave" because it was such a sweet lovely thing to do and so considerate really) and I was actually embarassed because I had been lazy that day and reading the Sunday papers and some of it was on the floor waiting for me to scoop it up !

Everything else was still tidy but I hated the fact that I had left the papers on the floor. I know I am a freak but such is life !

Even when I am sick I will still tidy up and clean as much as I can. It won't be as vigorous or perfect but I could simply not let things accumulate.

The idea of living in messy surroundings is completely alien to me. To me order is required for my mind to function as well as it can.

There is something so satisfying looking around your house and seeing everything in its place and looking ordered .
Like you, I need to keep my house clean and pleasant to live in. A very messy place has an immediate negative effect on my mood and my disposition. And this negative effect becomes worse every day if things don't change. It's as if the mess you've created is eating you alive or something lol.

I'm not really super-tidy because I can leave some books scattered here and there, but I would never go to bed or leave the house without washing the dishes, disposing of organic waste, letting fresh air in whenever possible, etc.

When we get back home, a pleasant (natural!) smell and an orderly and clean view are most welcoming and relaxing.

The same applies to our bed: if we go back there at night, maybe sleepy or maybe not, and the bed is made and looks "renewed", it's much more inviting.

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:19 AM

4,783 posts, read 2,325,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
The idea of living in messy surroundings is completely alien to me. To me order is required for my mind to function as well as it can
I grew up in a clean house. We would all rotate different house chores and later on wouldn’t really need to assign them specifically to someone, we would clean whatever if it was needed. I got used to it.

Quote:
There is something so satisfying looking around your house and seeing everything in its place and looking ordered.
That’s right. Coming back after work going “Aaaaah, home sweet home” instead of “Oh man, do I have to clean all that?”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships