U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you make your bed?
Yes! Always 28 62.22%
No. Why bother? 7 15.56%
Sometimes, for good reasons 6 13.33%
Only when we change the sheets. 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:50 AM

16,065 posts, read 8,012,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's a good thing you aren't in the military, because bedmaking would be the least of things you'd be required to do to specification.
Yup. It's something I already knew.

And I still would have done everything possble to get out of the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 09:59 AM

1,417 posts, read 853,601 times
Last one out of bed, makes the bed. I think I would puke if I saw a messy bed.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:01 AM

2,015 posts, read 1,807,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I guess I ask because all my coworkers were 40+...so I thought maybe this is a pet peeve of the older generation?
Yeah, ok, so how old are you?

Your initial question definitely makes sense if you are no older than 15 years.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:06 AM

5,146 posts, read 3,072,286 times
Meh, our bed doesn't get made every day and I really couldn't care less. I won't waste valuable sleeping time in the morning, and the room is not a sanctuary for me. It is so tiny and frustrating at times, that making the bed is not going to make it more inviting. It is what it is and as much as I'd like to, I can't knock down the walls and make it bigger.

I guess I don't understand people who can't get to sleep unless the bed is made. If the covers are really messed up I will straighten and smooth them out before I get in, but it's a bed for crying out loud. I get in and fall asleep. I agree with others about the excessive decorative pillows. They are completely unnecessary and stress me out WAY more than an unmade bed does.

Now, I will say I was more particular about it in the apartment I had before I moved up here. I loved the place, it was big and bright and airy with nine foot ceilings. I had a nice big bed with pretty bedding, so I made it more often.

Still, I think it's a little ridiculous and rude to make assumptions about people just because they don't make their bed every day.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:11 AM

3,490 posts, read 5,063,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Nobody sees it but us. Company comes we shut our door.

I guess I ask because all my coworkers were 40+...so I thought maybe this is a pet peeve of the older generation?
I'm 34 and I've been house proud since I was about 18.
I like my environment to be nice.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:11 AM

People who don't make their beds (especially those living with partners) are just simply lazy or don't care much about cleanliness, period. There's nothing ridiculous about this statement. You are who you are. Just accept that and move on.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:15 AM

44,455 posts, read 55,131,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Meh, our bed doesn't get made every day and I really couldn't care less. I won't waste valuable sleeping time in the morning, and the room is not a sanctuary for me. It is so tiny and frustrating at times, that making the bed is not going to make it more inviting. It is what it is and as much as I'd like to, I can't knock down the walls and make it bigger.

I guess I don't understand people who can't get to sleep unless the bed is made. If the covers are really messed up I will straighten and smooth them out before I get in, but it's a bed for crying out loud. I get in and fall asleep. I agree with others about the excessive decorative pillows. They are completely unnecessary and stress me out WAY more than an unmade bed does.

Now, I will say I was more particular about it in the apartment I had before I moved up here. I loved the place, it was big and bright and airy with nine foot ceilings. I had a nice big bed with pretty bedding, so I made it more often.

Still, I think it's a little ridiculous and rude to make assumptions about people just because they don't make their bed every day.
Sorry you aren't enjoying your current living quarters - been there, done that - hated it

Your previous apt does sound nice and inviting, too bad you aren't still in it!

Old 12-03-2011, 10:19 AM

16,065 posts, read 8,012,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
People who don't make their beds (especially those living with partners) are just simply lazy or don't care much about cleanliness, period. There's nothing ridiculous about this statement. You are who you are. Just accept that and move on.
Umm...No.

Sorry but I whole heartily disagree.

My house is nearly spotless. 2 dishes in the sink I just made, vaccumed, my surfaces are wiped down and nice smelling, windows are clean, clothes are mostly put away.

My bed? Don't care, I sleep in it every night just fine whether it's made or not. No one looks at my bed except for me, and a made bed simply doesn't make me want to get in it any more when I'm tired from the day.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:21 AM

Perfectly fine. Doesn't change my opinion though.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:29 AM

5,146 posts, read 3,072,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sorry you aren't enjoying your current living quarters - been there, done that - hated it

Your previous apt does sound nice and inviting, too bad you aren't still in it!
It's annoying at times, but the positives far outweigh the negatives. I love where we live, and we have space and privacy to have our animals and be left alone, which is really what I want most out of life. It's about priorities, I guess!

While I did love that apartment and miss it, it was a good tradeoff for the mister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships