Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you make your bed?
Yes! Always 28 62.22%
No. Why bother? 7 15.56%
Sometimes, for good reasons 6 13.33%
Only when we change the sheets. 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 12:10 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Sheets are used to keep the blankets clean. Just like pillow cases. You can wash and or replace the linens easier than washing/replacing blankets & pillows. Think of them as underwear for your bed. So, YUCK on not using a top sheet!

We both make the bed every day, depending on whose the last one out of it.
Top sheets get tangled, are silly because they arent thick enough, and feel *Awful*.
Pillows have pillowcases. Thats what the pillowcase is for. And if you're going to all that trouble to protect the top blanket, whats the point of having that top blanket?

Too many damn covers.

Neither of us use them when traveling either. They get kicked off and shoved down to the end of the bed.

Dont get me started on underwear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 12:13 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Top sheets get tangled, are silly because they arent thick enough, and feel *Awful*.
Pillows have pillowcases. Thats what the pillowcase is for. And if you're going to all that trouble to protect the top blanket, whats the point of having that top blanket?

Too many damn covers.

Neither of us use them when traveling either. They get kicked off and shoved down to the end of the bed.

You're also assuming we have a comforter or something expensive to replace. The big blanket we have was $40. Our 700 thread count sheets are actually more expensive.

Dont get me started on underwear.
blah, stupid thing, I messed up the posting process

Old 12-03-2011, 04:03 AM

973 posts, read 1,704,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Sheets are used to keep the blankets clean. Just like pillow cases. You can wash and or replace the linens easier than washing/replacing blankets & pillows. Think of them as underwear for your bed. So, YUCK on not using a top sheet!

We both make the bed every day, depending on whose the last one out of it.
When in Europe (Croatia and Serbia) none of my friends had top sheets. The hotels had them, but not the regular people, and I wonder now if that is just an American thing?? BUT all of their covers had divets that they would take off and wash. And to be honest, I found it a lot easier to sleep like that as well.

Oh but as far a making my bed.... only on weekends and holidays and summer (I am a teacher) as a rule for I am NOT a morning person and getting up and functioning at 5:30 is all I can do to get to work!

Old 12-03-2011, 04:26 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,618,732 times
I make my bed pretty much every single day day except when Hubby feels like being nice and gets to it first ( and despite his sweet and gallant efforts never make it the way I like it).

I cannot leave the house if the bed is not made. I have slight OCD tendencies and I would literally be thinking about it all day. Not only is it made but it has to be made a certain way and always look smooth.... I find it so much nicer to come back to my bedroom at night and see a nicely made bed with fresh sweet smelling sheets. The Pillows are always plumped nicely too !

I even have to "tidy up" the bed when we go away and stay in Hotels or B&Bs. I don't make it but will smooth out the top and neatly fold the sheets and blankets back . Yes I am a freak , hear me roar.

My Father who is even more of a neat freak than myself ( I blame the Army for his condition ) taught me to make my bed when I was about 4 or 5 ! I grew up with staff and still I had to make my bed, clean my bedroom and bathroom until I left home. He thought it would teach me discipline . Even as a Toddler I was only allowed two toys out at one time and always forced to put my mess away before having dinner. I am grateful he taught me to be tidy though.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:29 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,618,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
When in Europe (Croatia and Serbia) none of my friends had top sheets. The hotels had them, but not the regular people, and I wonder now if that is just an American thing?? BUT all of their covers had divets that they would take off and wash. And to be honest, I found it a lot easier to sleep like that as well.

Oh but as far a making my bed.... only on weekends and holidays and summer (I am a teacher) as a rule for I am NOT a morning person and getting up and functioning at 5:30 is all I can do to get to work!
I think most people under the age of 50 nowadays don't have top sheets but duvet covers instead. Much nicer IMO. I always use a sheet but only for myself as I regulate my temperature that way ( Hubby does not need to) and can throw off my bit of the duvet when I feel too hot. Most people in Eastern Europe and Germany will have two single duvets on a double bed so each person gets their own.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:39 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,355,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
I'm a neatnik, so, to me, an unmade bed makes the room look unkempt. Whoever gets out of bed last makes it, everyday.

Also, a neat, smooth bed is so inviting at the end of the day.
This!!! I made the bed this morning. The bed is made EVERYDAY for all the reasons mentioned by the others...

Old 12-03-2011, 07:30 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,379,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I make my bed every day. An unmade bed makes the entire room look messy.
This /\

The bed feels so much better to me if the sheets are pulled back tight and neat and I then go to pull back the comforter in climb into it at night. I also have a decorative comforter, 2 shams and 8 pillows on it. I want it as if I'm walking into a hotel room every night.

But that's just me.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:34 AM

124 posts, read 174,568 times
Out of 7 days, I probably make it 3 days, but then I change my sheets every 4 days. So once I change the sheets, I make it 3 days after that.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:40 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
The first thing I do when I get up is make up my bed. I don't usually even get coffee first.

Nothing is more depressing to me than seeing an unmade bed. I have a comforter, blanket, sheets, and four pillows on each side, plus two round bolsters. On top of the comforter, I have another matelasse type "spread" that I use so my dog won't mess up my comforter. That way, I can wash it weekly and keep it nice and clean - and my comforter doesn't have to be laundered as often.

I spray down my mattress w/ Febreeze or Lysol once a week when I change my bed. Also, I wash the pillows several times a year (or just throw the ones out that are losing their bounce and get new ones).

I am rigid about all this b/c I started w/ the "clean neat bed" campaign in response to allergy control as a child.

However, I read a report several months ago that said it was BETTER to NOT make up your bed immediately upon getting up - better to throw back the covers and let it air out for a while, b/c the heat and moisture that is left in the bed makes a perfect breeding ground for dust mites! OMG! I about freaked. All this time, I thought I was on top of things and doing all the right stuff to cut down on bed mites.

So you guys that leave your beds unmade are probably dealing with fewer dust mites than I am, LOL!!!!

Old 12-03-2011, 08:00 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,711,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I grew up in a home where every bed in the house was made before 7am.
So did I, this is probably why I never do it! Only when I change the sheets or am planning a sleepover.

I was never a big stickler for it with my kids either. They have to make up a neat bed once a week when they do a thorough room clean. They can decide when they have theor own homes what standard of bedmaking they want to maintain.

Here in Europe people do NOT use top sheets, which drives me crazy. I brought my own over with me because I get tired of changing duvet covers every week. Pain in the a$$!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships