Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:47 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times

Advertisements

A guy in his late twenties who has never been married before once told me that if he sees a woman who is in her mid-thirties and has never been married or had kids men think something is wrong with her. But he is a man who does want to get married and have kids so that might be why. I think men who don't want to marry or have kids wouldn't think this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 09:54 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleecya View Post
Is it me or has the dating world changed dramatically. I am finding that more and more people are looking for just hook ups verses an actual relationship. It seems as if you have not had your starter divorce( ie got married at 22 divorced by 25) and have procreated, people tend to view you has if something is wrong with you. When did things change that being divorced became a criteria as "relationship worthy" or you are a single parent which makes you more appealing or the norm. When did this trend start? Does anyone have any ideas when getting married young, getting pregnant young and divorce young became the norm, while waiting to get married and have children is considered as an esoteric idea. My friend said that if you have not procreated and been divorced yet that people view you as if something is wrong with you. I totally disagreed with him. What is your perception CD.
It has changed. I don't know if its changed the way you talk about. But as a recently divorced male, I have no clue how to date anymore. I have no kids and I'm 43. I still want to be married and have kids. Its part of my dna. But I screwed up the first marriage and it may be too late now.

As for dating, I hate all this texting stuff that happens. I'll call you if I want to ask you out. Texting is so lazy and stupid. Online dating was supposed to make dating easier. Nope, its now much harder. The women are even more picky than the men. For the first time ever, I feel discriminated against because of my age. I want a woman in her 30's who wants a family. They cut off their search at 39 years old. Wow. Its so disappointing to be in this new reality.

I don't even know what most womens idea of a good date is. I like to cook for a woman or just do simple things. I'm not into the fancy dinners and going out and spending hundreds on drinks at a bar. I'm not into the club scene anymore. Guess I'm out of touch since I was wiuth my ex-wife for 7 years and now alone for the last 3. Thats 10 years out of the scene and now I'm clueless.

So obviously, something very wrong with me.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:59 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
As for dating, I hate all this texting stuff that happens. I'll call you if I want to ask you out. Texting is so lazy and stupid.
I agree.

Quote:
Nah, you're fine.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Dating is not for the faint of heart and I think it is a perfect reflection of the society we live in, people have become so selfish, self-absorbed and once things do not go their way, it is time to drop the person you are with like a sack of potatoes and look for someone else.

Some women out there have some absolutely ridiculous requirements that need to be met, but I am guilty of the same thing because I will not settle for crap either.

Technology has also changed things dramatically, even 10 years ago, texting was not as popular as it is now.

Most girls that I have dated lately, text way more than they talk on the phone, it seems like most people nowadays especially younger people don't like to talk on the phone anymore or don't know how.

Some people consider asking someone out over text weird or impolite but give it 5 years and it will become the norm, people are becoming less and less social day by day and have settled for these very superficial forms of communication and interaction like texting, IM and Facebook
Exactly. Texting is so impersonal and I'd rather have a conversation. But thats just me I guess.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:16 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
It is more than just different than our parents, now we have STD that can kill you slowly and any one that you have sex with will be compromised as well. Our parent and grand parents had a shot that could take care of the worst of the STDs.

HIV/AIDS came to the forefront [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_AIDS"]in the early 1980s[/URL]--and having HIV was a guaranteed death sentence. In 6 months to 2 years, you'd be gone from an opportunistic infection. Now, with the cocktail of drugs available, namely something called HAART (highly active anti-retroviral therapy), people with HIV can live a long time; projections are 20-50 years. Not that you want to contract HIV, but still. Your post makes it sound like people in their 20s are the first do deal with it, and that is not true.

Your parents and grandparents had antibiotics for some STDs. However, even now, if you don't treat [URL="http://www.cdc.gov/std/syphilis/stdfact-syphilis.htm"]syphilis[/URL] early, you're in trouble.

And there is still no cure for herpes.

As for the rest of the thread, there has always been a hook-up culture. In the 60s, they called it "free love." Come on, folks. If you are unable to find someone with whom to develop a relationship, you're dating wrong. Either you attract people who only want to hook up, or you don't know how to behave in a relationship and can't sustain one once you're in it.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:55 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,319 times
Quote:
Exactly. Texting is so impersonal and I'd rather have a conversation. But thats just me I guess.
Texting is just a way to be fun and flirty and let someone know you're thinking of them throughout the day. No harm in that. It doesn't replace face to face or telephone calls, just something to brighten up your day.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:23 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,039 times
Quote:
It has changed. I don't know if its changed the way you talk about. But as a recently divorced male, I have no clue how to date anymore. I have no kids and I'm 43. I still want to be married and have kids. Its part of my dna. But I screwed up the first marriage and it may be too late now.

As for dating, I hate all this texting stuff that happens. I'll call you if I want to ask you out. Texting is so lazy and stupid. Online dating was supposed to make dating easier. Nope, its now much harder. The women are even more picky than the men. For the first time ever, I feel discriminated against because of my age. I want a woman in her 30's who wants a family. They cut off their search at 39 years old. Wow. Its so disappointing to be in this new reality.

I don't even know what most womens idea of a good date is. I like to cook for a woman or just do simple things. I'm not into the fancy dinners and going out and spending hundreds on drinks at a bar. I'm not into the club scene anymore. Guess I'm out of touch since I was wiuth my ex-wife for 7 years and now alone for the last 3. Thats 10 years out of the scene and now I'm clueless.

What I've noticed, is that in order to be even considered dating material you have to have the following (My sources are a CNA, a Starbucks hostess, and a receptionist):

Your own home in a good neighborhood
Expensive car
No debt of any kind
College degree with a big career
Always going out somehwere (like every night)
Large network of equally successful peers

Found out that having deceased parents is a huge turn off for some, on top of never married before. Just can't win, hah!

Old 12-04-2011, 04:31 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
Found out that having deceased parents is a huge turn off for some
Who are those? Certified/certifiable masochists...? Do they prefer to deal with in-laws...?

Old 12-04-2011, 04:41 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
Yeah dead in-laws are a plus in my book!

Old 12-04-2011, 06:41 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,574 times
Quote:
Is it me or has the dating world changed dramatically. I am finding that more and more people are looking for just hook ups verses an actual relationship. It seems as if you have not had your starter divorce( ie got married at 22 divorced by 25) and have procreated, people tend to view you has if something is wrong with you. When did things change that being divorced became a criteria as "relationship worthy" or you are a single parent which makes you more appealing or the norm. When did this trend start? Does anyone have any ideas when getting married young, getting pregnant young and divorce young became the norm, while waiting to get married and have children is considered as an esoteric idea. My friend said that if you have not procreated and been divorced yet that people view you as if something is wrong with you. I totally disagreed with him. What is your perception CD.
Disfunction seeks disfunction.

Consider yourself lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships