Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 10:49 AM

13,624 posts, read 10,027,837 times

Advertisements

Some of us may think that we are naturally sociable, but are we?

Is it nature, or nurture, that got us there, or didn’t?

Do you think that some of us are genetically predisposed to not being social creatures?

Does modern living force, or expect us to be social, even if we are not by nature?

Last edited by BECLAZONE; 12-03-2011 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 11:21 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Some of us are just born more sociable than others, yes. That's just your innate personality, nature at work.

But socialization is also learned.

When a shy child is nurtured in the right way they too can become more comfortable socially.

Many times when a healthy child is not nurtured properly they grow up more socially awkward and have to work harder as adults to put themselves out there.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:27 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
It's definitely both. However, bear in mind that even people who consider themselves antisocial are usually social as compared to truly antisocial animals. IOW, a serious shut-in at his or her computer still may be chatting in online forums, etc. A truly antisocial animal would jump for the jugular of another animal that tried to get to know it better.

But yes. Genetically we are programmed to be more or less social (by human standards), yet any trait can either be nurtured and brought out, or discouraged and toned down by the attitudes of people in one's environment, to an extent. But only to that extent...to the extent the person would have been genetically capable. (Sorry, "yet" and "but" together in a paragraph messes with the mind, but it's getting late and I'm just not up to par grammatically right now.)

I am very, very shy by nature (believe it or not) and I only really open up and have a lot of fun when I know and trust someone (but then I really let loose!). I don't believe that even given the best, most encouraging social environment, I would have turned out a true social butterfly in big groups of people. Just not me! My sister, OTOH, would talk to the wall if there were no people around. I'm pretty sure if you sewed her mouth shut, she'd just learn sign language instead. ETA: And if you tied her hands down too, she'd etch what she wanted to say into the linoleum with her toenails.

Last edited by JerZ; 12-03-2011 at 09:41 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 01:04 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Some of us may think that we are naturally sociable, but are we?

Is it nature, or nurture, that got us there, or didn’t?

Do you think that some of us are genetically predisposed to not being social creatures?

Does modern living force, or expect us to be social, even if we are not by nature?
I believe we as humans are fickle creatures...
As far as Nature Vs. Nurture regarding socialization? I think NURTURE is the part that is bestowed by our parents to the best of their ability...
The oppurtunities to be social creatures from a very young age can definitely be provided by our parents...
They can enroll us in preschool, they can set up play dates, take us to parks, enroll us in dance, baseball...any of these things can be seen as nurture however if it is not a part of our "Individual" temperament or personality this will be the detemrining factor of success or failure..

Re: Nature...genetics, traits and so forth this can play a determining factor as well..
How many times have we heard...
"Little Jimmy reminds me of my brother, shy..I was never like this, I was homecoming king and his mom a cheer leader but he is socially awkward"

" Jenny is exactly like her grandma, so much of an extrovert, into clubs, sports, president of her debate team" "I was never like this, I was a wall flower"

Temperaments and traits are handed down much as eye color and hair color, some skip a generation sometimes 2...If I had to choose one of the 2 I would have to say Nature..

Old 12-04-2011, 05:58 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Some of us are just born more sociable than others, yes. That's just your innate personality, nature at work.

But socialization is also learned.

When a shy child is nurtured in the right way they too can become more comfortable socially.

Many times when a healthy child is not nurtured properly they grow up more socially awkward and have to work harder as adults to put themselves out there.
Agree. One can learn social skills, even if one is retiring or shy by nature.

One of the best ways to be comfortable - and gain the reputation as a warm, sociable person - is simply to learn how to ask a few questions and then be a good listener. People enjoy talking about what is on their minds, or sharing their stories (whatever the subject may be) . . . and so by being a good listener and attentive to what the speaker is saying . . . others respond in a positive way.

A person doesn't have to be the "life of the party" to be considered an enjoyable person to have in a group - or as a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships