Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 11:39 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times

Advertisements

QUESTION: I was watching a TV program and a lady was being interviewed and she said she had just turned 40 and she also said:at 40 you SHOULD have children and you SHOULD have a husband.

Ladies, do you agree?

PS-If you're a Lady and you answer this question, you're telling everyone on this forum, you're one of my ladies.

Sorry guys, I like women, I know, I know. You want some of Ronnie also. Sorry, I can't help you.

Last edited by Ron.; 12-09-2011 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: typos,grammer,other stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 11:42 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
If you're a Lady and you answer this question, you're telling everyone on this forum, you're one of my ladies.

Sorry guys, I like women, I know, I know. You want some of Ronnie also. Sorry, I can't help you.

I was watching a TV program and a lady was being interview and she said she had just turned 40 and at 40 your SHOULD have children and SHOULD have a husband.

Ladies, do you agree?

PS- Don't forget what I said.
Only if it's part of your life plan. If you want to have a marriage and kids in your life time, yes, you better get a move on. If not, then certainly not, plenty of people don't marry and/or have kids.

I'd say the same thing if one of your goals was to become an olympic figure skater. Tick-tock, better get started before time runs out.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:50 PM

461 posts, read 782,564 times
Hmmm, well I'm not one of your ladies (what is that about exactly?)
but to answer the question, I don't do shoulds. Especially other people's shoulds.
The only should is that people should be free to make their own choices in life and not be hampered by idiots.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:16 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Only if it's part of your life plan. If you want to have a marriage and kids in your life time, yes, you better get a move on.
I agree with this. In fact I'd even say by 30 if you want a couple kids of your own.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:56 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
80% or so already do. I think the fact that 20% don't follow the script makes society more interesting.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:19 AM

994 posts, read 1,682,000 times
Kids and a husband do not define you as a person. That is soooo yesterday...welcome to the new world.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:37 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
I don't agree. I see a lot of those walking around and they don't seem happy. So whats with the should?
I don't even think it should be considered at all until after 30.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:39 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
"Should" ?!?! What the hell has "should" got to do with someone else's life. I am 44 , have never had any desire to reproduce and was never bothered about being married either. Who the hell is some person to tell me I "should" do anything.

Am I a indentikit robot , an individual whose sole purpose in life is to meet others' social expectations and sacrifice my own happiness to slavish old fashioned mantras ?

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffft to that !

I seriously hope I have more going for me than my ovaries , uterus and the potential for a same sex partner. What a ridiculous old fashioned piece of twaddle.

We are all individuals, have all different desires, needs and expectations of life and do not have to fit whatever mould some patriarchal elders decided for us eons ago.

I find this kind of subject staggering in 2012. I am ME. I shall decide what makes me happy, fulfilled and what direction my life takes.

People who give such advice as posted by the OP SHOULD keep their self righteousness to themselves, and keep their Oh so precious pearls of wisdom where they belong. In some dusty museum cabinet. This is not the 1950s anymore people, wake up and smell the Frapuccino.

Good grief, what is this ? Some Stepford Wives' Universe where all of us women have to stay pretty for our manly superiors, cook , clean and sew, keep our pretty little mouths lipsticked and shut and keep our tiny pretty little heads busy with thoughts of being pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen ?!??!

Motherhood and Marriage is perfect for some women. Good for them and thank goodness that we are all different. For others it simply is not what will fulfill and make them happy.

Not falling for the party line of having babies is the best decision I have ever made. I am 44 and the older I get the more certain I am that having children would have ruined my life, and my relationship.

Babies are not for everyone. And should not be imposed on anyone because some people still fantasise about a world where womanhood's sole redeeming feature was the ability to give birth.

People can be happy Single, Gay, Hetero, Married, with or without Kids, it is up to them .

I have no desire to dictate how someone else should lead their lives and the world would be a much happier and healthier place if we all let others simply be as they wish ( as long as it does no harm).

Old 12-09-2011, 04:39 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
Marriage is not for everyone.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:46 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
I don't agree.

Any individual, male or female SHOULD get married and have children when they are ready to do so and not on someone elses clock or timeline.

I will say that if a woman really wants children, she had better get a move-on. Waiting until your 30's and 40's to do that may prove to be more difficult than anticipated. Fertility starts to decline rapidly after 35 and you are at a higher risk for complications and birth defects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships