Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 03:14 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Folks, what does it mean when someone you randomly met in a nonbusiness setting gave you their business card? Do they expect you to contact them or are they just being polite?

And here's why I ask.

Decided to treat myself to a nice lunch yesterday, so I go to a popular joint, ordered, and sat by myself waiting for my meal. Suddenly, a decent-looking gentleman approaches and asks if he could sit with me. There were other empty tables and chairs so at this point I didn't know what his deal was, however I just told him it's fine. Long story short, we ended up talking for quite a while and connected on a lot of issues we were discussing (mostly politics, travelling, etc, he sounded very worldly). We even continued to talk for about 15 more minutes after we were done with our meals. At this point, I decided I like him a bit and that it was a good thing he came to sit with me . When we were about to leave, he handed me his business card. Turns out he's someone of significant position. Unfortunately I didn't have my business cards with me and couldn't think of any less awkward way to give him my contacts ..

We then walked out of the restaurant, said our goodbyes and take cares, and that was it.

One of my friends at work thinks I should give it a couple of days and then send a simple 2-3 lines email. She thinks he must have been interested and has done his part to show that (sitting same table & business card) and there was nothing further he could do. She thinks the ball is now in my court.

I somewhat agree with that.

He was very interesting to me and honestly, you don't run into people like him everyday, but I feel so weird doing what my friend is suggesting. So many what ifs.. Ladies, what would you do in my position? Men, I'm told all men think alike, so help me out here; what do you think was going on in this guy's head?

Naive thread, I know
Yeah.

Contact him. Tell him that it was nice meeting him and that you enjoyed the conversation. And you would enjoy continuing the conversation at another time. It's not as if you're saying, "Take me up to your hotel room and show me your etchings, Big Boy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 05:06 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,471 times
Great, thanks! So I will contact him but I feel more comfortable with email rather than calling. So I drop a quick one and see what happens

Will keep you posted!

Old 12-09-2011, 05:17 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Definitely contact him though, you said you had a great connection with him so I'm sure he felt the same.

Oh yes...and please do keep us updated!

Old 12-09-2011, 05:22 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
He was giving you a way to contact him without seeming pushy or making you feel pressured.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:10 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
It's a good question, actually. I wouldn't know exactly what it means either. It's vague.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:25 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
It's a good question, actually. I wouldn't know exactly what it means either. It's vague.
About as vague as an atomic bomb

Old 12-09-2011, 09:36 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,105 times
Quote:
. Turns out he's someone of significant position.

:
Hi, what is a significant person? A congressmen or something...just curious, cuz I used to live in DC and there are many people who think they are VIPs hanging around there.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:42 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,215 times
Quote:
Folks, what does it mean when someone you randomly met in a nonbusiness setting gave you their business card? Do they expect you to contact them or are they just being polite?

And here's why I ask.

Decided to treat myself to a nice lunch yesterday, so I go to a popular joint, ordered, and sat by myself waiting for my meal. Suddenly, a decent-looking gentleman approaches and asks if he could sit with me. There were other empty tables and chairs so at this point I didn't know what his deal was, however I just told him it's fine. Long story short, we ended up talking for quite a while and connected on a lot of issues we were discussing (mostly politics, travelling, etc, he sounded very worldly). We even continued to talk for about 15 more minutes after we were done with our meals. At this point, I decided I like him a bit and that it was a good thing he came to sit with me . When we were about to leave, he handed me his business card. Turns out he's someone of significant position. Unfortunately I didn't have my business cards with me and couldn't think of any less awkward way to give him my contacts ..

We then walked out of the restaurant, said our goodbyes and take cares, and that was it.

One of my friends at work thinks I should give it a couple of days and then send a simple 2-3 lines email. She thinks he must have been interested and has done his part to show that (sitting same table & business card) and there was nothing further he could do. She thinks the ball is now in my court.

I somewhat agree with that.

He was very interesting to me and honestly, you don't run into people like him everyday, but I feel so weird doing what my friend is suggesting. So many what ifs.. Ladies, what would you do in my position? Men, I'm told all men think alike, so help me out here; what do you think was going on in this guy's head?

Naive thread, I know
What's going on in that man's head is that he saw you sitting there alone, was attracted to you, and decided to do something about it. He would not have done that and stayed 15 minutes afterward to talk if that weren't the case and he didn't feel like the conversation went well.

If you're interested (seems so), definitely call or e-mail him. Tell him you enjoyed the discussion you had with him over lunch and would love to do it again. You will be able to tell immediately that he's interested, because he will be enthusiastic about setting up a date with you. Just make sure the next date is also in a public place like a restaurant or a coffee shop, because he's basically still a stranger.

I can't believe this isn't clear as day, many women would love to have a decent looking successful man approach them out of the blue. Capitalize on it and see where it goes.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:46 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
About as vague as an atomic bomb
Yeah you're right. Go for it MissLucky!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:02 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Hi, what is a significant person? A congressmen or something...just curious, cuz I used to live in DC and there are many people who think they are VIPs hanging around there.
He actually is. I even googled him.

Anyway, I'm all for contacting him now, but I must have left the business card somewhere on my desk, so everything has to wait till Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships