Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:32 PM

249 posts, read 473,371 times

Advertisements

No, I don't think that it is rude, I consider my age a blessing because I am pretty sure their is a child with cancer in the world that would love to live to see my age. I think you are being overly sensitive. Why is it seen by many people that it is rude to ask a woman's age? Is it because youthfulness, and beautiful skin is seen as a badge of honor whereas looking your age is wrong. I think society puts too much stock in looking constantly 21 even tho you are 20 or 30 yrs older than that. Op you obviously see your age as some sort of burden or something to covet and hide. I feel sorry for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 12:08 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,404,871 times
I don't really care. Whether I look my age or not is inconsequential. I can't change it. (I'm 37, and it's the oldest I've ever been, whatever) My advantage is that, at my workplace, I deal with people that are older than I am, so if someone says "OMG, that's old!" I can say ,"Not as old as the people we deal with every day!" Or, I can be really obnoxious and say "Yeah, I farted and broke my pelvis this morning!" I am going to live my life regardless.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:04 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,172,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I thought it was rude to ask a grown woman her age? Perhaps I am just oversensitive, but someone asks me this almost every day and I find it extremely annoying and rude. I could understand if i were in the liquor store, but usually it comes from a complete stranger who has no business knowing how old I am. I was at a work event this week and one of the men working at the establishment at which our event was held asked me this and it totally humiliated me in front of my colleagues. I realize I look young for my age because I am 5 feet tall and I'm happy to look young, but how should I respond to such questions without being rude?
lol...! I am useto this...I am 37..and m carded and told I look like I am 25..do not feel offended..why feel offended or embarassed?

Old 12-11-2011, 06:19 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
I totally support you in feeling like it is rude. I get that the person asked at a time when you were in your business, professional mode, and that it made you feel singled out and someone less credible. I think most responders have missed you point. Be happy that you're blessed to be a young looking person, believe me it will pass when you hit late 40's -50's. Then you'll wish you were still young looking. You may just have to re-frame how this sort of comment makes you feel, since as you say, you get asked daily. Most of us have some much bigger issues to deal w/ so, again....you are blessed. Develop a thicker skin, or a couple of cute subtle come -backs, that put it back on the asker, and enjoy your life.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:47 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,710,990 times
Age isn't an issue to me. If someone asks, I tell. No biggie and I don't think it's rude.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:16 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
The only time I get carded is when I go to a bar I haven't been to before.

Otherwise I never get carded.
That's because of the beard. Otherwise you have a youthful face.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:18 AM

62 posts, read 82,007 times
Rudeness is relative, and frankly doesn't exist.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:47 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I thought it was rude to ask a grown woman her age? Perhaps I am just oversensitive, but someone asks me this almost every day and I find it extremely annoying and rude. I could understand if i were in the liquor store, but usually it comes from a complete stranger who has no business knowing how old I am. I was at a work event this week and one of the men working at the establishment at which our event was held asked me this and it totally humiliated me in front of my colleagues. I realize I look young for my age because I am 5 feet tall and I'm happy to look young, but how should I respond to such questions without being rude?
A simple, "Why, how on earth is that your business" would suffice. Outside of the personnel officer at your work, no one in the company really needs to know that information.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:19 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,084 times
When asked by random people that have no need to know in the past I have said, "old enough, why do you ask?"

Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,481 times
I've never heard someone say it's rude to ask a man his age, regardless of how old he is. I think some women are just offended because they are insecure about it. Someone had the bright idea to turn this insecurity into fake "rudeness" to make themselves feel better about their age.

Why not be happy you're still alive?

Last edited by Freedom123; 12-12-2011 at 09:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships