Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 07:59 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times

Advertisements

so wait a minute... I don't understand why people say they don't want to get married until they are financially stable. So you would pass up the love of your life if he/she were to appear because of financial reasons????

I don't get that.

What happened to working TOGETHER towards financial stablility?

Old 12-10-2011, 08:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Do you think that if certain concrete economic and financial incentives were theoretically in place today that would allow ppl to get married at younger ages (say, 18-20), that any young ppl would actually *want* or desire to get married younger?
Why does "economic and financial incentives" sound like the taxpayer (which is me) would be asked to pay $$ to help someone else get married and set up house?

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Nice try.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:05 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Why does "economic and financial incentives" sound like the taxpayer (which is me) would be asked to pay $$ to help someone else get married and set up house?

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Nice try.
Lol, well I think that's what the GI bill was after WWII.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:06 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
so wait a minute... I don't understand why people say they don't want to get married until they are financially stable. So you would pass up the love of your life if he/she were to appear because of financial reasons????

I don't get that.

What happened to working TOGETHER towards financial stablility?
No one is saying you have to "pass on the love of your life".

You just don't plan to marry them unless and until you can afford all the responsibilities of being married. Heck, date 5 years if it takes that long.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Lol, well I think that's what the GI bill was after WWII.
Which I have NO problem with. The men and women who use the GI Bill spent time working for the government. They served their country and we give them a reward. You work at something, you get paid.

The GI Bill was not/is not a handout. It was/is earned.

This other sounds like a handout. I vote no. If the charming young couple wants to spend two years of their lives working in the community to EARN these benefits, I have no problem. I'd start with improving living conditions on the rez. Yeah. Becky Sue and Jim Bob spend two years in Tuba City helping the Navajos. Hauling water. A lot of Navajos on the rez don't have running water so let's make THEIR lives more livable. I could go for that. The people on the rez get something they need and our blushing bride and groom earn their $$.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No one is saying you have to "pass on the love of your life".

You just don't plan to marry them unless and until you can afford all the responsibilities of being married. Heck, date 5 years if it takes that long.
What are the financial responsibilities of being married? I don't think you have to wait.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:48 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Ah, but marriage naturally implies being able to support a family, and children...and the associated childcare and household costs...

It never implied that to me.

I was one of those baby boomers who married young in the 60s -- just shy of 20, and my wife was barely 18. I had a year of college and she had none.

We survived just fine on our combined incomes, even if I had to save up for a month to buy a fishing lure! I put the first 10% of my income into a savings account each week. We rented a small 1-bedroom apartment and shared one car. We had a phone, a stereo and got 3 channels on our b&w television. We knew we couldn't afford any kids back then, but we thought we were doing quite well.

I worked hard, planned, and invested that 10% into a business. At 25 I was making very good money, we had 1-year-old son, and my wife was able to stay home with him.

The economy hasn't really changed that drastically since then for those who put forth the effort, and by effort I mean planning, saving, working hard and using the noggin -- not playing games on the computer, getting high and whining about those with high-paying jobs.

There are lots of good jobs available for young people, just not for ALL young people. For those who are mature and goal-oriented, if they find a similar partner who will diligently work and save, there's no reason they can't marry and still make ends meet -- without government handouts. If they can't, they're not ready for marriage.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
It never implied that to me.

I was one of those baby boomers who married young in the 60s -- just shy of 20, and my wife was barely 18. I had a year of college and she had none.

We survived just fine on our combined incomes, even if I had to save up for a month to buy a fishing lure! I put the first 10% of my income into a savings account each week. We rented a small 1-bedroom apartment and shared one car. We had a phone, a stereo and got 3 channels on our b&w television. We knew we couldn't afford any kids back then, but we thought we were doing quite well.

I worked hard, planned, and invested that 10% into a business. At 25 I was making very good money, we had 1-year-old son, and my wife was able to stay home with him.

The economy hasn't really changed that drastically since then for those who put forth the effort, and by effort I mean planning, saving, working hard and using the noggin -- not playing games on the computer, getting high and whining about those with high-paying jobs.

There are lots of good jobs available for young people, just not for ALL young people. For those who are mature and goal-oriented, if they find a similar partner who will diligently work and save, there's no reason they can't marry and still make ends meet -- without government handouts. If they can't, they're not ready for marriage.
Exactly.

Seems like people want to be rich before they get married. And you don't have to have children or buy a house, etc. once you get married. You cn do that when you both are ready. I'm amazed that to many people marriage just means children and house. It's so functional to them. What about getting married for love, partnership and companionship? Because you form one entity as a team, going through life together.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Get married then DON'T have kids but struggle and work together to get where you want to be. It's called a partnership.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:29 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
My parents always said that they knew they could make their marriage work because they were poor together and made it through. For richer or poorer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships