Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 10:18 AM

826 posts, read 1,893,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes. I have learned that I don't enjoy dating someone who does not drink at all...and at the same time, anyone who drinks to get drunk or drinks more than a couple of times a week is also not for me.
Why don't you?
Do you think such a person would judge you or not be fun to hang around?

I seriously would like to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
My problem was that I could not stop drinking. So, while I spent a good amount of time in bars, I was too drunk to accomplish anything with quality women, and instead would wake up next to ugly, large, undesirable women.
Lol. So I'm guessing you now have it under control right?

Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
My lack of drinking has not hurt my social/dating life because I'm married. I spend most of my free time with my family or with friends who also do not drink.

However my lack of drinking has hurt my career. I know for a fact that people that "play the game" get the perks. It may not be fair but thats life.
Yup. Definitely true in my field.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:51 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
Why don't you?
Do you think such a person would judge you or not be fun to hang around?

I seriously would like to understand.
It is nothing bad, but certain people hang out with certain people due to like interests. Just like someone who is very huge into literature, and on the weekends discusses literature with their friends, it might be a little awkward if the person they are dating never reads.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:52 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Yup. Definitely true in my field.

what is playing the game? and what is your field?

Old 12-11-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
what is playing the game? and what is your field?
My field is financial services and the game is networking.
Most of my managers network after work in bars.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It is nothing bad, but certain people hang out with certain people due to like interests. Just like someone who is very huge into literature, and on the weekends discusses literature with their friends, it might be a little awkward if the person they are dating never reads.
I see.
But don't you think opposites can attract sometimes i.e Non-drinker with Social-drinker?

Old 12-11-2011, 11:03 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Your experience is similar to mine. Some people in my meetup groups had me try some drinks, telling me I probably hadn't found the right one yet. They introduced me to some "sweet beer" (Hurls) and some mixed drink.
Didn't work.
I can drink soda all day.
Yeah, they all seem to think that if they can just figure out what type of drink suits you then you'll soon be on your way to delightful drunkenness.

Them: "Oh here, if you didn't like that particular red whine, you may like this white whine."
Me: "This tastes just as horrible, but in a slightly different way."

Them: "Ooh, try this hard lemonade. You'll probably like it."
Me: "Tolerable. Would taste much better if it was just regular lemonade."

Them: "Try this rum with Coke. Surely you'll like it."
Me: "Hey, that's not especially awful. Kind of taste like vanilla Coke, except it's ruined by the taste of alcohol."

Them: "Try this beer."
Me: *vomit* "Why do you hate me?"

Old 12-11-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Yeah, they all seem to think that if they can just figure out what type of drink suits you then you'll soon be on your way to delightful drunkenness.

Them: "Oh here, if you didn't like that particular red whine, you may like this white whine."
Me: "This tastes just as horrible, but in a slightly different way."

Them: "Ooh, try this hard lemonade. You'll probably like it."
Me: "Tolerable. Would taste much better if it was just regular lemonade."

Them: "Try this rum with Coke. Surely you'll like it."
Me: "Hey, that's not especially awful. Kind of taste like vanilla Coke, except it's ruined by the taste of alcohol."

Them: "Try this beer."
Me: *vomit* "Why do you hate me?"
Hahahahaahahaha. You have me rolling. So so true.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:37 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
I see.
But don't you think opposites can attract sometimes i.e Non-drinker with Social-drinker?
Two of my better friends are both either non-drinkers or very occasional drinkers. I get along with them well, mainly because they 'get' me. I don't need the power of EtOH to open up to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships