Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times

Advertisements

So tell your old friends about you new name and why you changed it. What is the big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 01:20 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,172,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
It may come across as I was trying to abandon my cultural roots, or that I was ashamed of my culture... some could take it that way, which could offend some. I would be disappointed if anyone took it that way but I guess I will have to find out.
I find that worrying over "What may occur" causes us to often times overthink an issue to death causing needless lost hours of pondering...

I find "True" friends will not pass judgment over an issue like this...they most certainly have questions in which at that time you can explain your reasoning..
Their are many families that have children when they emigrate here and they will purposely give their children "American" names so their children "fit in" or assimilate into society...there is no shame in this...one can carry pride, culture and customs and the name has naught to do with it..

Old 12-11-2011, 03:50 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
It may come across as I was trying to abandon my cultural roots, or that I was ashamed of my culture... some could take it that way, which could offend some. I would be disappointed if anyone took it that way but I guess I will have to find out.
Yes, there's always the possibility that some could take it that way, but if they do and are offended, there's really not much you can do about that. There may even be some that may ask you directly why you changed your name, just out of curiosity.

I think that when a person changes their name, they have to understand that they will always carry both names. For the people that knew you by your original name, they will always relate to you by that name. And for those that have only known you by your newly adopted name, that is who you are.

So, in a way, you need to be aware and receptive if your old friends call you by the name that they knew you originally and not take offense if they don't refer to you by your new name.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:29 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
when I was in college many of the international students took on western names. I would put one of your names in parenthesis. When your are commenting on other peoples status I would use the name by which that group of people know you as I don't think it would be a surprise to your western friends that you have an Indian name and I think your Indian friends probably understand how westerners are with pronunciation of foreign names.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:05 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post

I think that when a person changes their name, they have to understand that they will always carry both names. For the people that knew you by your original name, they will always relate to you by that name. And for those that have only known you by your newly adopted name, that is who you are.
I think this is true, I heard back from a couple of friends...all addressed me by my old name. I would've preferred to be addressed by my new but I guess they may find it odd since i'm suddenly someone else now!

Old 12-11-2011, 11:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
My college roommate was always called by her middle name by family. All her elementary and high school classmates called her by her first name. When she moved away to college, she decided to go by her middle name, as her family called her. I would always know when it was a high school friend calling for her (this was in the midnineties, when mobile phones were in existence, but were a couple of years from being commonly carried by students/young people, and dorm rooms were equipped with shared landline phones), because they'd ask for Annie instead of Katheryn.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:50 PM

649 posts, read 1,132,440 times
I am from India. We have all done it, it is odd if you DIDN'T take on an "American nickname". Esp when I left NYC. Why you think the guy at 7-11 is always "Bob" or "Mike" if you ask name lol

Old 12-12-2011, 01:54 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I know that the OP said he didn't want to discuss the reasoning behind the name change, but to me its seems to be an integral part of reconnecting with his friends,since that would be the first thing that they would notice.

IDK, I think the reasoning has some bearing and would explain things, at least to his friends.
Yes, and if it comes up, I'm sure at some point the OP will explain as He/She sees fits to their renewed friends. I think that if your friends loved and supported you, they still would, no matter what your name. go for it, reunite w/ your old friends!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships