Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 01:47 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,737,360 times

Advertisements

Here is the issue... I am originally Indian and was born with an Indian first name which was not too difficult to pronounce, I immigrated to the US when I was 22 and before that I changed my name to a fairly common western one. However, none of my friends back home whom I have not reconnected with for the last 15 years know of my new name.

Don't want to get into the specifics of what motivated my name change in the first place but I am a bit embarassed to reconnect with my old buddies on FB from high school although I really do want to. Part of the reason is that they all have Indian names and I don't want to convey the idea that I found Indian names to be somehow inferior or something - which is absolutely not the case as I think all names are good in their own way.

Am I thinking into this too much? I made this change a VERY long time ago and almost nobody in my immediate family and friends circle calls me anything but my current name. It seems quite awkward to suddenly revert to my previous name in the context of this reconnection with old friends.

I know it is a strange situation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 02:07 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,240,752 times
Your true friends will have a little fun with the name new but will still be your friend at the end of the day.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:15 PM

2,828 posts, read 4,325,184 times
I think that if you want to connect with your old friends you are going to have to make them aware of both your current name and your Indian name. I don't think this is such an uncommon thing amongst those that emigrate to another country and adopt new names.

Since those friends know you by your Indian name, it should come as no surprise if they respond to you using your Indian name. Regaining old friendships should be a great thing.... regardless of name change.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:51 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,737,360 times
It may come across as I was trying to abandon my cultural roots, or that I was ashamed of my culture... some could take it that way, which could offend some. I would be disappointed if anyone took it that way but I guess I will have to find out.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:55 PM

51,953 posts, read 52,386,711 times
I know that the OP said he didn't want to discuss the reasoning behind the name change, but to me its seems to be an integral part of reconnecting with his friends,since that would be the first thing that they would notice.

IDK, I think the reasoning has some bearing and would explain things, at least to his friends.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:43 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,223,014 times
Why not just say that in order to get ahead in your career in the US, it was suggested to you to change your name to a more western one? And then leave it alone.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:47 PM

17,613 posts, read 22,554,692 times
Gunga Din is a good name...

Old 12-10-2011, 05:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,997,292 times
Eh, just tell them people here had a hard time remembering/pronouncing your name and you had to simplify it.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:06 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,420,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Here is the issue... I am originally Indian and was born with an Indian first name which was not too difficult to pronounce, I immigrated to the US when I was 22 and before that I changed my name to a fairly common western one.

I know it is a strange situation...
That's not as uncommon as you think and not strange. I know plenty of East Asian people who changed their name to something more recognizable to Westerners. It has nothing to do with inferiority. I consider it simplification.

For giggles, tell your friends that Westerners are dummies and that they/we couldn't figure out your name. That, or tell them you're undercover and had to change your name to protect the innocent.

[or you were the prosecution's star witness and are now in the witness protection program]

Old 12-10-2011, 06:10 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,420,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
It may come across as I was trying to abandon my cultural roots, or that I was ashamed of my culture... some could take it that way, which could offend some. I would be disappointed if anyone took it that way but I guess I will have to find out.
You're not the first and you most certainly will not be the last. You made an adjustment to integrate better with your new home. I am an immigrant. Trust me, you're not abandoning anything.

[tell your friends something would have been lost in the translation and your new name worked better]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships