Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:52 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikecharlene View Post
You do realise the irony here? So resorting to violence is civilised?
Are you being deliberately obtuse or do you simply not understand written English?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Develop an eye and look someone over - you can tell by appearance who they are..then deal with them accordingly - If they look like some under-developed doink that does not know better - stay silent.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
In Subway today, I neglected to hold the door open for some 20 year old woman and she cussed me. I laughed and said "you're not God, nobody has to acceed to you".

Why do younger people assume that all must like/acceed to them?

Another thing, I laughed as I left the place with my order, since some things never cease to amaze me. In this case, mentally unfit persons.
Old people are rude too; I can't count the times while grocery shopping with my wife some old bag will sqeeze her cart where it doesn't belong without so much as an "excuse or pardon me." We were at the movies Saturday night and two old women blocked my path so they could chat, when I tried to go around they broke off and one of them walked directly in front me. So don't even go there with this BS.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:09 AM

62 posts, read 82,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Do you have some sort of learning disability? I am not trying to be ugly. I am serious. B/c the videos you have posted say that the best thing to do is continue being a civil person, even if others are rude. Yet, you are trying to use these to justify being a rude person.

I am utterly confused how you could watch these videos and come away w/ the opinion that folks are to be aggressively impolite and mean spirited in public to strangers as promotion of good mental health.

Where the heck are you coming up with these ideas? In all sincerity - how could you watch these vids and think rudeness is being promoted as the way to deal with daily life?
They say to suck it up, in essence.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:14 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
They say to suck it up, in essence.
No they do not! They say, "in essence," that if you respond with rudeness, it simply breaks down civility even further.

Good manners and civility are not something one should have to stop and think about. It should just be the way you naturally interact with others. If they are rude to you, the best thing to do is NOT respond with rudeness. It can escalate the aggression, actually, to respond with rudeness. The videos clearly make that point.

I am really puzzled how you came away with the misunderstanding that these vids are promoting anything else. ????

Last edited by brokensky; 12-12-2011 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-12-2011, 09:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Old people are rude too; I can't count the times while grocery shopping with my wife some old bag will sqeeze her cart where it doesn't belong without so much as an "excuse or pardon me." We were at the movies Saturday night and two old women blocked my path so they could chat, when I tried to go around they broke off and one of them walked directly in front me. So don't even go there with this BS.
I agree. Anyone any age can be rude. It is not something seen exclusively in any one age group. People can be self-absorbed and inconsiderate at any age.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:16 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
You do realise the irony here? So resorting to violence is civilised?
Violence might not be civilised but sadly some people might not take kindly to being treated badly. Djuna was only pointing out the truth here.

It is not as though she was threatening you or condoning it just being factual.

Most people do accept rudeness as part of daily life, some people just do not and will let you feel their displeasure....

There is nothing civilised about violence although of course if one owes nothing to anyone then there is no moral reason not to resort to it if one feels like it. If the only that matters is you than no moral constraints and duties exist to conform to civilised behaviour which is what you seem to be advocating basically.

Rudeness is a form of violence, not a physical one granted but still an aggression. It does not benefit anyone. It makes the recipient angry and angst and the "donor" in my opinion is already exhibiting anti-social traits which imply also a social retardation which is not healthy. All in all we ALL lose when people are rude.

A spiral of negativity dragging us into the belly of the beast.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No they do not! They say, "in essence," that if you respond with rudeness, it simply breaks down civility even further.

Good manners and civility is not something one should have to stop and think about. It should just be the way you naturally interact with others. If they are rude to you, the best thing to do is NOT respond with rudeness. It can escalate the aggression, actually, to respond with rudeness. The videos clearly make that point.

I am really puzzled how you came away with the misunderstanding that these vids are promoting anything else. ????
That wasn't the intention. It is to manage around it and as said suck it up.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:30 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Why don't you just face the fact you were a rude jerk. Didn't your mama teach you manners? Now if you were far ahead and they were coming to slow I get it. But I hold the door for everyone if they are right behind me. Now my son has a problem with holding it for everyone, and I explained to him you hold one door and pass it onto the next person.
And your retort to a female was uncalled for. Sheesh.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Violence might not be civilised but sadly some people might not take kindly to being treated badly. Djuna was only pointing out the truth here.

It is not as though she was threatening you or condoning it just being factual.

Most people do accept rudeness as part of daily life, some people just do not and will let you feel their displeasure....

There is nothing civilised about violence although of course if one owes nothing to anyone then there is no moral reason not to resort to it if one feels like it. If the only that matters is you than no moral constraints and duties exist to conform to civilised behaviour which is what you seem to be advocating basically.

Rudeness is a form of violence, not a physical one granted but still an aggression. It does not benefit anyone. It makes the recipient angry and angst and the "donor" in my opinion is already exhibiting anti-social traits which imply also a social retardation which is not healthy. All in all we ALL lose when people are rude.

A spiral of negativity dragging us into the belly of the beast.
It depends. Morality is anything one makes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships