Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:31 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

You're in a long term relationship or a marriage. Imagine two scenarios:

Your partner tells you he/she has cheated on you, maybe a few times, but purely for sex, no feelings involved. They still love you though.

Your partner tells you he/she has fallen for someone he/she has known for awhile, and is unsure they love you anymore.

I.e. is 'emotional' cheating worse than physical cheating? Of course both would be worse, but if it's an either/or thing. It would seem that 'emotional cheating' is worse, even though we can't really control how we feel about someone or if we fall for someone out of the blue. Society believes that adults can control who they have sex with, but is it really much different? Actually I think we can control how emotionally attached we get to someone to an extent; like deciding how much time we spend with them, the nature of our bonding so to speak.

Anyway, which would hurt you more? It seems that in this society people get so riled up about physical cheating but falling in love with someone else...that seems complex. While this often does involve having sex with that person, what if it didn't? To me the idea of say a husband having sex with a prostitute without feeling anything almost doesn't seem like 'cheating'; I mean it still is, but to me the emotional component seems more important in a relationship and I'd care more if my woman was in love with someone else, than just had a meaningless fling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 09:08 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,246 times
I think both are equally offensive. One indicates that the marital relationship solely lacked physical intimacy and the other implies that the marital relationship lacked both emotional and physical connection.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything indicating that a relationship with me lacked something, in which case he had to find someone else to fill in the missing pieces. I think a married man finding sex elsewhere is especially offensive to a woman.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:10 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Both are bad. I heard someone say recently--it might have been Steve Harvey, I'm not sure--that if a man is cheats on you, you weren't 'the one'. It's probably the same for women.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:14 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
#1 is worse.

Treating anyone like the are nothing is wrong even if its the other woman. I would rather they fell in love and cared for another than to be a total scumbag who treats people like kleenex.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:18 AM

60 posts, read 141,987 times
Both are equally as bad.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
Each is bad in its own way. If a partner has fallen out of love with you, it's nearly impossible in most cases to recover from that. It's a negation of everything you are, not just sex. Cheating is a violation of trust, but depending on circumstances and beliefs, many DO recover from that.

I would be very hurt in either situation, but in my case, would be more shocked by the first scenario, as there is no excuse to cheat - we have a carefully constrained open relationship. In that situation, cheating would imply an emotional connection as well.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Though they are both very painful, emotional cheating is the worst.

People can repair their marriages and go on to have a better one after infidelity as long as they have not emotionally connected to someone else.

Once a new emotional connection has been made with a party outside the marriage, that marriage is usually doomed.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:30 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
I don't think falling for someone else is a negation of anything. I think once you have been with someone awhile people can change as can life goals. If they want to have a life that is different than your life goals...that is just a mismatch. Neither goals is actually bad but they are different in a way that doesn't work well together as a team. I have broken up with people over that kind of thing. They are fine as a person but wouldn't work out for the long run with things beyond the bedroom or basic friendship.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:38 AM

418 posts, read 784,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Your partner tells you he/she has cheated on you, maybe a few times, but purely for sex, no feelings involved. They still love you though.

[Your partner tells you he/she has fallen for someone he/she has known for awhile, and is unsure they love you anymore.
I'm done and won't be hanging around for an extended period of
drama & angst in the hopes it could be resolved.

I'm better off alone.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
I think the emotional cheating would hurt me the most, but I would hope we could overcome it....as for the sex just for the sex....there'd be NO forgiveness....HIT the road!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships