U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:33 AM

1,844 posts, read 1,161,768 times

Advertisements

I have been recently approached—somewhat aggressively—about appearing on a nationally televised dating show. I normally abhor reality tv type shows and find them to distasteful and gaudy; however, I am intrigued by the prospect as I have a hard time identifying the caliber of women that I seek to settle down and perhaps this venue will directly or indirectly lead to paydirt
A few factors which I am considering:

My narrative is interesting but I get the sense the producers want to play up the pity card. I was a warzone contractor for a number of years. . I was injured at work and received a seven figure payout.

I am concerned about a few things. I hold a Top Secret security clearance and work in the National Security Sector. While it’s not necessary to divulge exactly what I did (It work and management consulting), I could see how some within the community might frown upon broadcasting my career to the entire world. It would also seem boastful and imprudent to acknowledge that I made in the top 5% of all income earners working for Uncle Sam as a contractor. Additionally, it may appear that I have profited immensely from my injuries while others have not. It’s not my fault, but appearances do matter and people are quite jealous.

I recently took a job where many of the people are not rich—although quite a few are on full G pensions—and don’t want to garner any unnecessary resentment at work.

The women on the show do not seem to be that great. They range from 5s – 7s and are blatant gold diggers with little to offer save slightly above average beauty which comes with stratospheric level expectations. I watched a few episodes and was genuinely disappointed by the quality of women.

I seek a woman from 24-27, no kids, top 50 university graduate, a few years of work experience, that wants to raise a family who is at least a seven in looks and who has reasonable expectations. The producers said that the women who appear on TV are only a fraction of the women that they have avail and that my exposure on the show will yield results for up to six months afterward.

I am not sure I want to sacrifice my dignity and anonymity for women who are not in my target demographic.

Stalkers, nuts, and scam artists. My female friend said that a good looking young guy with money may attract stalkers and that it’s plausible that a woman will see me on the show, try to hook up, and then blackmail me with a rape charge or whatever. I thought this was farfetched, but upon a bit of research I don’t really think it is.

I am leaning against doing the show, but since I live abroad and in Vegas, I don’t have access to the type of woman that I seek and would sacrifice something but not everything for a chance at a suitable mate. I also don’t trust the producers to portray me as I want.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 11:30 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,011,426 times
Is it The Bachelor? If so, RUN!!!!!!!

Old 12-13-2011, 11:39 AM

5,118 posts, read 2,537,920 times
I think all of your reasons for being leery of this show are valid, and I wouldn't do it either.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:52 AM

921 posts, read 910,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
I have been recently approached—somewhat aggressively—about appearing on a nationally televised dating show. I normally abhor reality tv type shows and find them to distasteful and gaudy; however, I am intrigued by the prospect as I have a hard time identifying the caliber of women that I seek to settle down and perhaps this venue will directly or indirectly lead to paydirt
A few factors which I am considering:

My narrative is interesting but I get the sense the producers want to play up the pity card. I was a warzone contractor for a number of years. . I was injured at work and received a seven figure payout.

I am concerned about a few things. I hold a Top Secret security clearance and work in the National Security Sector. While it’s not necessary to divulge exactly what I did (It work and management consulting), I could see how some within the community might frown upon broadcasting my career to the entire world. It would also seem boastful and imprudent to acknowledge that I made in the top 5% of all income earners working for Uncle Sam as a contractor. Additionally, it may appear that I have profited immensely from my injuries while others have not. It’s not my fault, but appearances do matter and people are quite jealous.

I recently took a job where many of the people are not rich—although quite a few are on full G pensions—and don’t want to garner any unnecessary resentment at work.

The women on the show do not seem to be that great. They range from 5s – 7s and are blatant gold diggers with little to offer save slightly above average beauty which comes with stratospheric level expectations. I watched a few episodes and was genuinely disappointed by the quality of women.

I seek a woman from 24-27, no kids, top 50 university graduate, a few years of work experience, that wants to raise a family who is at least a seven in looks and who has reasonable expectations. The producers said that the women who appear on TV are only a fraction of the women that they have avail and that my exposure on the show will yield results for up to six months afterward.

I am not sure I want to sacrifice my dignity and anonymity for women who are not in my target demographic.

Stalkers, nuts, and scam artists. My female friend said that a good looking young guy with money may attract stalkers and that it’s plausible that a woman will see me on the show, try to hook up, and then blackmail me with a rape charge or whatever. I thought this was farfetched, but upon a bit of research I don’t really think it is.

I am leaning against doing the show, but since I live abroad and in Vegas, I don’t have access to the type of woman that I seek and would sacrifice something but not everything for a chance at a suitable mate. I also don’t trust the producers to portray me as I want.

What do you think?
Given your posts to date, I'd say the only thing you'd be giving up is your anonymity.

You're right to be concerned. Why would you expect that the producers would even consider how you want to be portrayed? They're there to get ratings, not make you look good. Plus you'll likely have no contact with the editing, so you won't know for certain how you will be portrayed until the show airs.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:09 PM

5,407 posts, read 3,613,159 times
No fair! I want to be on a nationally televised dating show too. That would be fun...

Old 12-13-2011, 12:18 PM

7,484 posts, read 14,502,734 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Outside of perhaps bragging, I think you answered your own question.

Yes, the producers and writers (yes, reality TV shows have writers, will spin what they tape to create drama. Remember the Real World? The majority of their day-to-day activities are too boring for TV; i.e., they are the "real world". The producers/writers cut all of that out and only feature the drama because drama sells.

But, I should ask, why are you having trouble finding a date?

Old 12-13-2011, 12:19 PM

8,611 posts, read 5,926,485 times
Quote:
What do you think?
I think you are full of it. Great imagination though

Old 12-13-2011, 12:31 PM

7,293 posts, read 8,547,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I think you are full of it. Great imagination though
What she said.

Who needs tv when you can come to C-D for entertainment!?

Old 12-13-2011, 12:36 PM

4,579 posts, read 2,729,675 times
Trolling again? Your posts always crack me up, brah.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:38 PM

12,217 posts, read 12,672,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Trolling again? Your posts always crack me up, brah.
Oh come now...he's not the only guy who's incredibly rich and successful with women, and hot looking to boot (hot enough for a The Bachelor-type show, anyway)...yet, who sits around typing on some anonymous internet board and somehow, can't get a date. I see them all the time...right here on CD!

Whaaaaaaat, you don't believe these dudes? (shrug)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships