Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:57 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I had no such intent, but since you took it that way, I prefer to see it as opening my mind to take it beyond just the spirit of christmas.
Seriously, it's hard not to take your comment as anything but negative

You might think the effects of giving and kindness are "short-term" or "taken for granted", for but some they are actually life affirming and life changing.

Really think about those words - life affirming and life changing.

To be able to do that for another human being is huge!

So huge that it overshadow any nay saying or negativity

I wish you a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 10:13 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Seriously, it's hard not to take your comment as anything but negative

You might think the effects of giving and kindness are "short-term" or "taken for granted", for but some they are actually life affirming and life changing.

Really think about those words - life affirming and life changing.

To be able to do that for another human being is huge!

So huge that it overshadow any nay saying or negativity

I wish you a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Thank you and I do agree.

I repeat, I do agree.

I was just bringing up another point to consider. Something in addition to...
In reading the thread now, I wasn't the only one to do so either. I find it odd that I'm being singled out but that's okay.

A Merry Christmas to you too!

Old 12-17-2011, 10:30 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Thank you and I do agree.

I repeat, I do agree.

I was just bringing up another point to consider. Something in addition to...
In reading the thread now, I wasn't the only one to do so either. I find it odd that I'm being singled out but that's okay.

A Merry Christmas to you too!

No problem, didn't mean to make you feel like the bad guy!

Was just trying to say that even though in reality some will take things for granted or have no appreciation for what was done for them, that is not as important to me as the people who will be impacted by kindness positively

When you read about the responses some of those who have been on the receiving end of a kindness of any type have, it can really choke you up and make you realize what's important in life. Just wanted to keep the thread focused on that. Thanks for your understanding!

Old 12-17-2011, 10:34 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Was just trying to say that even though in reality some will take things for granted or have no appreciation for what was done for them, that is not as important to me as the people who will be impacted by kindness positively
Yeah, thanks. I think I needed a reminder that there are people who are appreciative.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:12 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
I love these stories and wish they could happen more then just during the Christmas season. .
They do. When we make a point of it.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:36 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,783,345 times
Beautiful

It is so great to see this. The funny thing is that it feels so good to give. The true spirit of Christmas still lives!

Old 12-17-2011, 10:45 PM

If anyone is thinking about doing something like this. DO IT, you won't regret it and you will feel so good. Santas workshop isn't in the northpole.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:18 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
If anyone is thinking about doing something like this. DO IT, you won't regret it and you will feel so good. Santas workshop isn't in the northpole.

Hear, hear!

Old 12-18-2011, 05:43 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I'm trying not to get teary-eyed while at work...this is a really great thing. It's payday today and I'm inspired to do something similar. I agree with a comment made by one of the Kmart managers that $50 may not seem like a lot, but at the right time for some people, it can feel like a million bucks. That is so true. My heart is full!
That is very thoughtful of you. Growing up, I still remember the day my mom got a $5 tip for housekeeping. Now I like leaving a nice tip for hotel workers who do a great job but still something for the average worker.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:19 AM

My sister and I just adopted a family of two girls for Christmas. What did their mother want the most for them? Coats and sheets, they didn't have sheets for their bed. I have to say it was so much fun to shop for the girls because my sis and I both have girls the same age. We brought in 6 bags of toys, clothes and books and fun things like nail polish, fleece throws, and such for them and then a bag of gently used clothes that we had. The funniest part is that it was all done anonymously, we don't know who they are and they don't know who we are.

These guys would not have had a Christmas this year. Everyone hits financial bumps and my thought is that this family will pay it forward to someone else when they can.

In our community it's called subs for Santa. Look them up or get involved with something similar. There's still time!! The feeling of joy is the best return on the money I spent.

Like I said Santas workshop is not in the northpole, it's in your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships