Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 02:20 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,773,659 times

Advertisements

EHarmony is one of the best, more balanced sites. The ratio of men to women is more even...and people are generally more serious about dating on it. Some women don't like it because they can actually get rejected on it which they aren't used to on all the lame free sites. Also you can't spam copy/paste email people on it so a lot of the players don't like it.... and some women don't like it because they don't get their ego fed by getting 100 copy/paste emails sent to them. On EHarmony you can actually close someone as a match which is basically a rejection letter. EHarmony is way less work than the the other sites...on EHarmony it's true you don't waste time writing 50 letters to people that will never write back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 02:24 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,770,227 times
I tried it as well. I think its hit or miss, and I don't think the computers do a great job of matching you. Its all luck I think. Its a shame that as popular as online dating seems to be that they can't do a better job developing something. I'm on Match now, and its a total waste of time, money, and effort.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:32 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,533,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
Do you have to read profiles first? What is the first stage like? How do you choose someone to go through the 5 stage process or does it choose for you?

Is it a lengthy process in terms of time between first communication to meet up? That I can handle, I like patience in the process.

I'm more concerned with having to spend an hour or so a night to read profiles and email women only to have no responses in a week. That's no fun for anyone.
It doesn't have to be a lengthy communication process. You can request to bypass Guided Communication and go directly to exchanging e-mails like on any other site. Guided Communication consists of 5 multiple choice questions (you can answer these in like two minutes), sending your Must Haves and Can't Stands (you can do this in like two seconds), answering 3 open ended questions (you can do this in less than 10 minutes), and then you would move to Open Communication (e-mail).

EH usually sends you about 7 matches per day, but it doesn't take hours to read the profiles. Skim through them and if you don't like it, archive or close the person. If you do like it, send the person 5 multiple choice questions to start Guided Communication or ask them to go directly to Open Communication (e-mail).

Old 12-18-2011, 02:35 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,773,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I tried it as well. I think its hit or miss, and I don't think the computers do a great job of matching you. Its all luck I think. Its a shame that as popular as online dating seems to be that they can't do a better job developing something. I'm on Match now, and its a total waste of time, money, and effort.
I hate Match almost as much as POF...well it might be about even actually. Match is another site where you take the time to write to 50 women and noone replies. I agree it's sad no one in this entire world can come up with a better dating site or system. I would pay extra for a site that is actually worthwhile.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:48 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,538,866 times
Been on a few eH dates, and the most recent one was yesterday. Unlike other dating sites, I find the guys to be fairly decent and serious about what they are looking for. It's so much better than Match, that's for sure.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:32 PM

17 posts, read 25,043 times
I met my husband through eharmony 2 years ago. We married after a year and a half. The system works if you use it the way it should. We went through the questions and the guided communication together then finally texted/talked and met for breakfast. We were pretty much inseparable after that.
We were matched based on values and personalities. I think eharmony was right on for us.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:38 PM

748 posts, read 1,310,244 times
I am using it right now, it has not being very rewarding so far... although ElysianEagle makes a very good point. If the match didn't pay, he/she won't be able to reply to your e-mails/initial questions. I wish e-Harmony would make it so that you can only communicate with people who can reply because it has being a waist of time for me so far...

Old 12-19-2011, 03:36 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,514,125 times
I found the site to be way too slow-paced, and it took an excruciatingly long time to finally talk to people by e-mail. The matches I got weren't any better than any other dating web site.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:46 PM

77,760 posts, read 59,915,458 times
I found e-harmony to be wayyyyyyyy too time intensive and controlling so I never used it.

I filled out a match.com profile but before I paid for it I got 3 clearly fake "winks" from much younger gals with professional headshots that lived 1000miles away from me....and knew they were trying to trick me into paying for their service. I don't do business with scumbags.

I wound up using plentyoffish.com and that worked out for me after a while of duds. Others have had bad experiences with it.

HOWEVER, from everything I've read here...The various dating websites tend to work better\worse by geography and age and sex so take everyones experience with a grain of salt.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:48 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,417,526 times
I can't say for sure about other people, but a bunch of friends and me tried to see how well we would do with eHarmony, and it told all of us we were unmatchable. We were something like 20 people. The fact it would tell 20/20 people that they're "unmatchable" makes it seem to me that they are full of sh.t, especially since most of these people already were in relationships in real life. It doesn't help that eHarmony didn't allow a same-sex or both-sex option for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships