U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,281,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
First, read the whole thread before getting your panties in a knot. People never read the whole thread...

Secondly, I'm not that sensitive. Stuff like the Chapelle Show. I love it.

Thirdly, you guys continue to watch Andrew Dice Clay and Opie and Anthony and laugh your a@@ off at all the racist jokes.

I'll continue to try and view people as people and not attach stereotypes
to them based on media portrayals...
For someone who supposedly doesn't attach stereotypes, well, you just did it.

And no the joke was not racist.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 AM

19,022 posts, read 14,547,681 times
I'm an Asian dude picking up women in New York City. What's the joke again?

Fellas, for one mono-racial woman, there are 50 Equal Opportunities R us white women. I've seen some HOT white women with the scariest non-white dudes. So, just don't fret.

And I'm not saying they are scary becoz of their ethnic background. They are scary becoz they looked scary to me . The kind you would flee from or hide under the closet, like the scary dude who burnt a woman alive in Brooklyn.

I'm not generally considered Asian though.

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 12-20-2011 at 09:53 AM..

Old 12-20-2011, 09:59 AM

4,587 posts, read 4,369,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarqueSock View Post
Eh, i think the whole point of disagreement is that out of context (from someone who knows nothing about the main character) the joke can superficially seem like a jab at interracial relationships in general.

So, yes it would be offensive if the roles were reversed as well (superficially and out of context that is).
Thank you. Somebody who bothered to read the whole thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
First---I did indeed read the whole thread...I do this even if a thread may be 20+ pages before I chime in, or a mere 20 posts...also, last time I checked, I've been known to wear either boxers or briefs, or boxer briefs...the only panties in my house belong to either my wife or my live-in MIL...so much for that theory

Second---as far as sensitivity goes, I'll give you a mulligan on that one, but that so-called racist joke sufferd from one fatal flaw---it wasn't funny!...hence my remark about 'not always running outside with your shotgun when somebody hollers 'WOLF!'...I'm a black man---been black since oh, 1956...I don't go running for my AK-47 and molotov cocktails (HEAVY sarcasm here) every time someone utters an alleged racist remark, or makes a racist joke...there are too many other improtant things to obsess over, like playing hide the yule log with Mrs Catfish

Third---the media doesn't have that much influence over what pictures I choose to paint of people...that power belongs solely to me---if I think you're a nimrod, then I don't need a newspaper or TV show to speak for me...I will tell you myself...seems like everything nowadays degenerates into (wait for it) people running around with bionic boners every time somebody says anything they THINK is a slight (this cuts across politics, race, religion, sexual orientation, you name it, and folks will b***h-fight about it, and it's frankly getting annoying)

Bottom line? I don't waste time laughing at stuff that ain't funny to me, no matter WHO says it, or what subset they belong to...every shut eye ain't asleep, every grey head ain't old, and every bush, tree, rock or utility pole doesn't hide some numbnut racist wannabe
Yes, I'm very politically correct, sensitive and very leftist and liberal. I'm Asian and I date a non Asian woman.

So I'm evil. Sue me. I'm not arguing with you guys.

Bu-bye...

Old 12-20-2011, 10:07 AM

8,524 posts, read 8,351,823 times
Man, you must be terrified to death living in NYC...........especially with all of the ethnic groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I'm an Asian dude picking up women in New York City. What's the joke again?

Fellas, for one mono-racial woman, there are 50 Equal Opportunities R us white women. I've seen some HOT white women with the scariest non-white dudes. So, just don't fret.

And I'm not saying they are scary becoz of their ethnic background. They are scary becoz they looked scary to me . The kind you would flee from or hide under the closet, like the scary dude who burnt a woman alive in Brooklyn.

I'm not generally considered Asian though.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 AM

5,258 posts, read 5,163,349 times
I've never seen the show, but I fail to see how this is racist.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I've never seen the show, but I fail to see how this is racist.
Imagine this...

Let's assume you're a white woman. A co-worker of yours who is also a white woman meets you at a bar for a drink.

At the bar, there are several men of several different races.

You and your friend are checking out the men and your friend points out a black man (knowing nothing of your racial dating preferences) and says, "Oooh. Maybe you should date him." And then jabs you in the ribs and says, "Just joking."

The joke on the TV show taken OUT OF CONTEXT is the same thing.

If people don't think that's racist, then I don't know what to say.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:42 AM

2,150 posts, read 1,290,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I don't like the show at all (I think it's crude and disgusting), but my husband watches it and the theme is that blondie is this sheltered little former-rich girl who has never experienced anything outside of her blonde prada gucci tiffany world. The idea that the character has dated anyone outside of her race is a long shot. ...Not saying that makes it funny or appropriate or whatever, but with that background the "joke" makes slightly more sense.
Yeah, thats pretty much how I took it too. Kind of a sideways social comment about how mainstream America might not yet be comfortable with the idea of someone like her being hooked up with a black dude. I didnt get that anyone was being slighted in this case

And then theres that Mc Donalds commercial featuring the black guy and the white girl having a deliberately platonic lunch conversation, which is imo, progress from similar commercials which typically feature same race characters.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:42 AM

6,487 posts, read 4,523,855 times
Quote:
OK,

So I'm just inhaling some dinner and watching from the middle of this show, 2 Broke Girls, which I've never seen but keep hearing is the #1 show in America during NFL football games.

Apparently four guys sit down at a booth at the diner where these two women work as waitresses. Both are white. The four guys are a black guy, an Asian guy, and two white guys. All four men are dressed well, are young and normal looking.

The blonde waitress freaks out when she sees the guys and runs into the pantry where the brunette follows to help her. Apparently, one of the guys is the blonde's ex and it was a bad breakup. The brunette agrees to go outside and get rid of the guys.

So, the brunette says to the blonde, "Which guy was it? The black guy or the Asian guy? Oooh, just joking."

WTF. Is that racist or what? Like a white woman dating a black or Asian guy in the year 2011 (in NYC no less, where the show takes place) is so abnormal in America it's the butt of a joke on the #1 show in America?

Does anybody else think that's racist?
I cannot stand this show and I only watched 5 minutes of one episode. The whole scripting was off and just not genuinely funny. How it has a high rating is beyond me. I don't know what it is with the writers and their ethnic or racist remarks because when I saw the show, within the few minutes I watched it, there were several comments about Puerto Ricans (one of the characters is Puerto Rican). For those of us who really don't know the whole premise behind the show, these comments or "jokes" kinda come off as racist. But that's just my opinion.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:04 AM

1,578 posts, read 1,397,823 times
Lightbulb Let Me Get This Straight...

Quote:
Thank you. Somebody who bothered to read the whole thread.

Yes, I'm very politically correct, sensitive and very leftist and liberal. I'm Asian and I date a non Asian woman.

So I'm evil. Sue me. I'm not arguing with you guys.

Bu-bye...
You're the OP of this thread...you open said thread to initiate a dialogue, and start haranguing fellow posters when you perceive they 'haven't read the thread' or (gasp!) disagree and say the joke isn't racist or remotely funny in their eyes...

And then give a list of 'bona fides' (politically-correct left-liberal sensitive Asian guy dating a non-Asian woman) as if that's gonna get you cuts in the lunch line or extra cookies in same, and then take your ball and go home, telling us to 'sue you...you're evil...you're not gonna argue with us...bu-bye!'

You're kidding, right? As least have the conviction to stick around and defend your position

Old 12-20-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
You're the OP of this thread...you open said thread to initiate a dialogue, and start haranguing fellow posters when you perceive they 'haven't read the thread' or (gasp!) disagree and say the joke isn't racist or remotely funny in their eyes...

And then give a list of 'bona fides' (politically-correct left-liberal sensitive Asian guy dating a non-Asian woman) as if that's gonna get you cuts in the lunch line or extra cookies in same, and then take your ball and go home, telling us to 'sue you...you're evil...you're not gonna argue with us...bu-bye!'

You're kidding, right? As least have the conviction to stick around and defend your position
OK. First of all, the OP was more of a vent than an excuse to open an argument. Internet arguments about race and politics are like merry go rounds. They run for hours and hours but never go anywhere.

Re-read posts #2, 3, 6, and 36 of this thread. If you still are not offended by the joke taken OUT OF CONTEXT, then you are just a lot less sensitive than me.

That's all.

You're right, I probably shouldn't have posted the thread. Next time I won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships