Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:28 PM

60 posts, read 141,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
Lately my parents have been bugging the hell out of me about marriage. My mother always asks "have you been looking for a ring? doesn't she ask about getting married?" My dad just straight up asks "so when are you going to get married? you know if you don't get engaged she might leave you" My answer is always "you'll find out when it happens" which leaves them scratching their heads and pestering me even more the next time I talk/see them.

I'm an only child and my parents are inching towards retirement. I can tell they're itching for grandchildren to give them a greater purpose when they retire.

My GF and I have been together for 6 years and have been living together for 2 years. We both understand that marriage is the next step and she doesn't really bug me about it. Also we both landed "good jobs" and moved to DC this past summer. We're still getting settled in our new careers and new city. If we were still living/working in our hometown I'm sure my GF would be nagging me as well. I know she doesn't want to wait years for me to pop the question BUT I want to make sure I'm secure at my job, finances are straight, and debts paid off.
Since you are the only child, you are getting all their attention. It is expected that they behave that way. But after all, it is your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 12:38 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times
If you two have been together for 6 years and are already living together... why not just get married already? What's the wait?

Old 12-20-2011, 12:41 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
If you two have been together for 6 years and are already living together... why not just get married already? What's the wait?
A better question would be, what's the point of tying the knot?

Old 12-20-2011, 12:45 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
If the man is not ready to be married he's not ready. He has a good thing going so why mess it up? If anyone is to blame for taking so long it's the woman. She should have never moved in with him playing man and wife without the paper.

As for myself I would ride it out as long as I could because for all intent and purposes they are acting married but without all the legal concerns.

He may not be expressing it but he's not intent on getting married for his own reasons. When he's ready he will do it and if he does it due to pressure from others the marriage is doomed to fail. So get married when your ready..

Old 12-20-2011, 02:36 PM

404 posts, read 1,147,997 times
Quote:
Ideally getting married after 6 years together is a no brainer, if the status quo of a diamond ring and lavish wedding wasn't involved in the initial stage of marriage I'd be married 2 years ago.

BTW my GF is an event planner and is already taking mental notes of how she wants our wedding planed. So it's not gonna be cheap

Old 12-20-2011, 02:40 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
My answer is always "you'll find out when it happens" which leaves them scratching their heads and pestering me even more the next time I talk/see them.
Instead of that usual answer, maybe next time you should tell them your very valid reasons for waiting right now:

Quote:
I want to make sure I'm secure at my job, finances are straight, and debts paid off.
That sounds perfectly reasonable and if you word it that way, hopefully your parents can see your point of view

Old 12-20-2011, 02:52 PM

538 posts, read 1,522,022 times
Quote:
Ideally getting married after 6 years together is a no brainer, if the status quo of a diamond ring and lavish wedding wasn't involved in the initial stage of marriage I'd be married 2 years ago.
Weird, I know of no laws that state you have to do the "status quo."

Old 12-20-2011, 02:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
I'm sort of in the same boat. My parents got their collection of rings and diamonds appraised a few weeks ago. They keep asking me which one do I want to use. It's annoying so say the least.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:55 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Lately my parents have been bugging the hell out of me about marriage. My mother always asks "have you been looking for a ring? doesn't she ask about getting married?" My dad just straight up asks "so when are you going to get married? you know if you don't get engaged she might leave you" My answer is always "you'll find out when it happens" which leaves them scratching their heads and pestering me even more the next time I talk/see them.

I'm an only child and my parents are inching towards retirement. I can tell they're itching for grandchildren to give them a greater purpose when they retire.
Learn to set effective limits NOW.

Quote:
My GF and I have been together for 6 years and have been living together for 2 years. We both understand that marriage is the next step and she doesn't really bug me about it. Also we both landed "good jobs" and moved to DC this past summer. We're still getting settled in our new careers and new city. If we were still living/working in our hometown I'm sure my GF would be nagging me as well. I know she doesn't want to wait years for me to pop the question BUT I want to make sure I'm secure at my job, finances are straight, and debts paid off.

Six years is a long time to not decide to either **** or get off the pot.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
See, that's my question too. Young couples who date for years and years, AND YEARS, without getting married seem to lack a commitment to one another if you ask me.

I understand wanting to have your education finished and your career off the ground - that's very smart.

But once that is done, make the commitment already - or let your SO move on and find someone who CAN commit to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships