Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:38 AM

206 posts, read 766,687 times

Advertisements

so yesterday i woke up with a pounding headache that throughout the day grew to be a pretty nasty cold. i have since been pretty miserable- shivery and body is aching everywhere and i feel so congested i feel like throwing up. its 12:30 in the afternoon here and i am still in bed. i figure rest and hot liquids would get me back to health...however i have also been dating this guy for almost 3 months now...he asked me to be his gf about a month and a half ago and all is well except since yesterday i have been a bit irked that he wasnt that phased about the news of me being very sick. now i dont care if i come across as a whiny brat but when im sick and in pain...i need attention and empathy...and like to think that my bf would care about me enough to be concerned and at least offer to take care of me or get me medicine or drop by soup or some such. so far he has just texted back saying " it will get better soon...want to postpone hanging out until later in the week?"

not exactly very sensitive...or am i being a psycho *****?

oh, he did just text saying he can drop by some fruit and soup for tomorrow tho...

so what do you guys do when you're gf/bf is sick? what do you expect should be done by your SO in case you are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 11:48 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,686,912 times
You're not being a psycho, I think you're just not in a totally rational mood because you are sick which is completely understandable

Your boyfriend did say he'll drop by to bring you food, which is a considerate thing to do. That's what I would do too (and make tea, do w/e to help him feel more comfortable). Feel better!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:49 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,537,657 times
I have completely failed to see anything wrong with this situation.

Hope you feel better soon!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:49 AM

11,755 posts, read 11,940,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariagostrey View Post
so yesterday i woke up with a pounding headache that throughout the day grew to be a pretty nasty cold. i have since been pretty miserable- shivery and body is aching everywhere and i feel so congested i feel like throwing up. its 12:30 in the afternoon here and i am still in bed. i figure rest and hot liquids would get me back to health...however i have also been dating this guy for almost 3 months now...he asked me to be his gf about a month and a half ago and all is well except since yesterday i have been a bit irked that he wasnt that phased about the news of me being very sick. now i dont care if i come across as a whiny brat but when im sick and in pain...i need attention and empathy...and like to think that my bf would care about me enough to be concerned and at least offer to take care of me or get me medicine or drop by soup or some such. so far he has just texted back saying " it will get better soon...want to postpone hanging out until later in the week?"

oh, he did just text saying he can drop by some fruit and soup for tomorrow tho...

so what do you guys do when you're gf/bf is sick? what do you expect should be done by your SO in case you are?
Not to diminish your illness but a headache and cold/flu isn't necessarily considered "very sick" by everyone. IMO, that's a run-of-the-mill ailment.

It is thoughtful that he offered to bring soup and fruit, but he may not want to listen to you being a whiny sick person, don't know too many people who do.

You want attention and empathy when you're sick, others want to be left alone. Regardless, there's no way of him knowing what your need is unless you tell him. And even still, what you want and what he's willing to give may not be the same thing. That doesn't make either of you wrong, just different.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:51 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,172,043 times
It sounds like you might think your whining may have caused him to keep his distance.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:53 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,869,426 times
He offered to drop stuff off. Not sure exactly what else you expect, other than maybe a quicker response by him to do somethig for you.

I would offer to pick things up, drop them off, etc. Then try to guage whether she wanted me around, or to rest. When I am sick, I generally want to be left totally alone.

For now, just try to rest. See what he does, and don't overthink while your not well.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:56 AM

3,864 posts, read 6,770,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
He offered to drop stuff off. Not sure exactly what else you expect, other than maybe a quicker response by him to do somethig for you.

I would offer to pick things up, drop them off, etc. Then try to guage whether she wanted me around, or to rest. When I am sick, I generally want to be left totally alone.

For now, just try to rest. See what he does, and don't overthink while your not well.
I must be an a$$hole. I agree with Checkered. He offered to do things for you. I mean when I am sick I would prefer my S.O stayed away just so that she doesn't get it. Do you want him to cuddle and love you? I can understand that deep down inside it feels so good to have somebody waiting on you and giving you all of the attention you want, but is it necessary? Probably not, nor is it good for him if you want HIM to stay healthy.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:02 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,084,888 times
Default what do you do if you're gf/bf gets sick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariagostrey View Post

What does a boyfriend of three months owe you? He did text you back, and I doubt that his text said he didn't care about you. The short answer to your question is YES! You are being a psycho, whiny spoiled brat also comes to mind. Dropping soup by would have been nice, but don't get your panties in a bunch because he didn't do it immediately, he did offer. If he read your post, he probably wouldn't be very happy with you, but would better understand what might be ahead if he continues on in this relationship. Personally, I think you come across as being more demanding than you should be.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:07 PM

441 posts, read 882,516 times
Maybe he hasn't been able to make time due to work/something else?

In any event get better soon

Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 PM

29,625 posts, read 34,082,392 times
If I'm sick I don't expect a boyfriend to come over and mop my fevered brow, but it is nice if he offers to swing by and drop off some ginger ale or cough drops or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships