Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 08:07 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
They all lust after the same guy.......

You keep yer hands offa my man! (fingernails come out)

Old 01-03-2012, 08:23 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
It's the whole 'independent woman' thing, I don't need a man I can take care of myself. I think most people do want a relationship, but they don't want to seem desperate.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's the whole 'independent woman' thing, I don't need a man I can take care of myself. I think most people do want a relationship, but they don't want to seem desperate.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Rs5j2A&cad=rja

Old 01-03-2012, 11:51 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
3 husbands, one divorce, 2 died. I am done with it, taking care of a man is no longer in my future.

My grandmother always said "A man retires, a woman never does, she still cooks, cleans, does his laundry, and then in the final years of his life, she caretakes him."

Living in Florida, actually that is what I see...I'll pass, not for me.
Things have changed a lot and many men are no longer like that. Of course, when young, women generally don't look for these qualities and the guys who they crave are very unlikely to have these qualities.

So I suppose that you are correct about what is in store for most women who marry they type of man they desire.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
They all lust after the same guy.......
According to the women on this site, marriage would add 10 years to his life!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defoe View Post
Because women feel the need to state that much more often than men. I see it alot, women stating how little they would care about being in a relationship with a man, how unimportant relationships with men are.
Actually, women know how good a deal marriage is for them and are the ones who are far more likely to want marriage for its own sake.

Quote:
In fact, most men happily talk about how much they want a woman. The complete opposite of how women act.
They say how much they want a specific woman. More and more, men are not interested in marriage just as a concept. There is little in it for them if the woman isn't someone who they desire to be with.

Of course, there are still men who face pressure to marry or need a relationship just to get by, but they are a dwindling portion of the male population. The number of single, never married men increases every year.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Actually, women know how good a deal marriage is for them and are the ones who are far more likely to want marriage for its own sake.

They say how much they want a specific woman. More and more, men are not interested in marriage just as a concept. There is little in it for them if the woman isn't someone who they desire to be with.

Of course, there are still men who face pressure to marry or need a relationship just to get by, but they are a dwindling portion of the male population. The number of single, never married men increases every year.
And...where are you getting these generalizations and made up statistics from?

Old 01-04-2012, 02:21 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. The purpose of life, some might say, is to know yourself better. After that, all things follow.
Some people stop learning when school ends and have little insight into human nature, including their own weaknesses.
We should be developing and refining our philosophy of life along the road we travel. We should be developing as more interesting people.

I think that those who have continued developing in life become more interesting to those they meet, and have an attraction even while aging. The more solid the foundation of your own life, the more solid your relationships with others, usually. People know who you are and that they can depend on you while you by nature shy away from shallow people who are often unpredictable in relationships. Either that, or they are boring.
This really resonates with me.
Not that I liked the book, The Road Less Traveled, but it was standard reading in the 80s. The only thing I remember about it is the discussion about maps we make for life.
Some people never push the boundaries of their maps; others never stop.
I surround myself with those who fall into the latter category, not the former.

I have no interest in a marriage or permanent monogamous relationship, but I have numerous relationships with men.
I certainly enjoy the company of men, but don't want to live with one or anything.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:33 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
I do very much. It's difficult for some of us to find good guys. Many of us have been hurt and disappointed by men so we compensate by being overly independent.
I believe that most of us are Charlotte but our life experiences turns us into Miranda. I guess there is hope because Miranda eventually married and had a baby despite Steve's indiscretion.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:38 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,297,584 times
Quote:
I see quite a lot how women proclaim how little they "need" men, that they could take it or leave it basicly in regards to having a relationship with a man. It seems alot of women feel the need to proclaim how little they care about men nowadays

I'm a man, I don't "need" a woman. But I still want a relationship with a woman very much, that's like a major thing that I wouldn't want to miss out on having.

Women would you just go "eh I couldn't care less" if you never had a relationship with a man? Or do you actually want a relationship just as much as we men do?
Women want relationships just as much as men do.

I think alot of the problems that arise in relationships come from the issue of not defining your short term and long term goals as well as being up front and choosing someone who not only makes you a better person but whom you equally compliment as well.

I haven't been on these forums in about two years because I came here seeking answers for some controversial questions regarding my lifestyle.

I got my answers and here I am two years later. Things worked out just fine for me and my SO.

I attribute that success to being clear about the things that I want in my relationship.

Ultimately I think that a lack of clear communication is what leads to most relationship failures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships