Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 01:58 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times

Advertisements

Chino, one thing to keep in mind is that most women earn squat. It's no grand thing for an average guy to earn more than an average woman. As long as the average Joe doesn't go for a professional woman there shouldn't be problems money wise.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Not sure when to say a woman is being a money grubbing materialistic goldigging ho or when she is just simply being a woman, you know, with her needs to be in a relationship where she feels provided, protected, cherished, and so on.
I was just exaggerating a bit, since some people on here are claiming that women aren't like that. Its not true where I live, a majority of them aged 25 would never consider "dating" me. I am in the weird awkward, Student and Car loan, just starting my career stage. So I have debts and dont quite make enough to live in style yet. I can get girls younger than me though, which is probably why men marry them younger.

That and the fact that you have horny old men who just like em young.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:05 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I was just exaggerating a bit, since some people on here are claiming that women aren't like that. Its not true where I live, a majority of them aged 25 would never consider "dating" me. I am in the weird awkward, Student and Car loan, just starting my career stage. So I have debts and dont quite make enough to live in style yet. I can get girls younger than me though, which is probably why men marry them younger.

That and the fact that you have horny old men who just like em young.
I think you make a good point. Much of this is age dependent. Older women have a decent job and earn enough money to keep themselves so their expectations will be different.

I think many younger women are still trying to find their feet and consider a man with some means a better choice. I don't agree with it but that's the reality.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:25 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I think many younger women are still trying to find their feet and consider a man with some means a better choice. I don't agree with it but that's the reality.
There you go. We may not agree on how many women think but that's reality. A man's salary plays an important role when it comes to deciding to marry a man or not. Sure, there are exceptions like anything else.

Quote:
Chino, one thing to keep in mind is that most women earn squat. It's no grand thing for an average guy to earn more than an average woman
I thought companies can get sued for discrimination of that kind. anyways, women earning a lot or not, they will still go for the guys who are above their level. For women who earn the big bucks, it might be a bigger challenge considering how they are less likely to "marry down" and, being women, it's not like they will go out to pursue a man either.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:41 PM

26 posts, read 21,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Chino, one thing to keep in mind is that most women earn squat. It's no grand thing for an average guy to earn more than an average woman. As long as the average Joe doesn't go for a professional woman there shouldn't be problems money wise.

I guess I'm that quintessential "Joe Average." As a charter helicopter pilot I do OK, but business can be up and down, especially in the current economic climate.
But my wife brings home almost double as I do, being a psychologist.

But we hardly ever discuss finances. We still act like a couple of 20-somethings madly and goofily in love. She says its a huge turn-on being married to a pilot, and would be just as happy if I did it for free and she footed all the bills.
Money, to us, is liquid and unimportant. Nice to have, but in no way shape or form a significant or even interesting aspect to our marriage.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:50 PM

526 posts, read 954,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Add to that how women prefer to be with men who are above their level. What woman would want to be providing for a man? Isn’t it the other way around as you mentioned in another thread? If women have a hard time contributing to dating expenses because that is supposed to be a man’s job, imagine when it comes to marriage. So a woman that has a decent job will obviously not settle for the friendly waiter at her favorite restaurant. Seeing a man settle with a woman who is below his level is normal. Like women have agreed before, men are more simple to please.
I agree with you. Some call it double standards, but I guess culture has a lot to do with it. I was raised in a culture where women let the men be the men. Now that I have lived in the US for quite some time, a lot of the men from my culture think that I am too "Americanized" for them because I refuse to stay home doing all of the cleaning, laundry, and "women" stuff. I can take care of myself, there's no questions about it, but I am no willing to pick up tabs when men are the ones doing the asking, nor am I willing to do all of the housework when I am also contributing to the finances. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying on a date after the guy has asked me out several times, or providing for my partner if he suffers a job loss, but in both ocassions, I have to have some time invested in the relashionship with a man to provide for him.

Based on my experience, I would not want to date a men who made less money than me just because they tend to feel less than a man. Again, this is MY experience. I am pretty sure some men out there can care less, but many men have to make more money to feel like men, or the relashionship won't last. Money is one of/or the biggest deal breaker in many long term relashionships.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:54 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper_Guy View Post
I guess I'm that quintessential "Joe Average." As a charter helicopter pilot I do OK, but business can be up and down, especially in the current economic climate.
But my wife brings home almost double as I do, being a psychologist.

But we hardly ever discuss finances. We still act like a couple of 20-somethings madly and goofily in love. She says its a huge turn-on being married to a pilot, and would be just as happy if I did it for free and she footed all the bills.
Money, to us, is liquid and unimportant. Nice to have, but in no way shape or form a significant or even interesting aspect to our marriage.
I earn more than my husband as well. I think money may matter more at either side of the curve.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:09 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGirl View Post
I was raised in a culture where women let the men be the men
In your culture do men let women be women by letting them cook, wash, clean up, etc.? I mean, traditions go both ways, right?

Quote:
Now that I have lived in the US for quite some time, a lot of the men from my culture think that I am too "Americanized" for them because I refuse to stay home doing all of the cleaning, laundry, and "women" stuff. I can take care of myself, there's no questions about it, but I am no willing to pick up tabs when men are the ones doing the asking
See, that is what I have asked women before. I can understand their point about not doing house chores unless their man did them too, they refuse to cook unless their man cooks too, etc. they set all these rules that sort of make sense and I can agree to. But when it comes to dating the whole “we are a team” rules are thrown out the window and it’s all about the man paying for their expenses, being the one who takes the initiative, men should open their doors, men should buy their engagement ring, etc. or they will dump the guy. Seems a bit hypocritical or double-standard as you said. It’s like saying “whatever is expected from me to do at home YOU SHOULD DO TOO…whatever is expected from you to do when we go out, well, you should do it all for me or else”.

Quote:
Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying on a date after the guy has asked me out several times, or providing for my partner if he suffers a job loss, but in both ocassions, I have to have some time invested in the relashionship with a man to provide for him
Yes. It takes a long time for women to start to consider reciprocating. A man has to go through the initial stages, probation periods, observation periods, etc. and if he gets to qualify after all those months or years then maybe the woman might consider the thought of reciprocating. Don’t understand why women hold out on being nice to a man and reciprocating while the man is nice to the woman right from the start.

Quote:
Based on my experience, I would not want to date a men who made less money than me just because they tend to feel less than a man
For that reason and many others women simply rather look for men above their level. Hey, we all have our preferences so go for it.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:09 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Most people in general want relationships.
Yes they want one. But have no idea what it takes to keep one healthy. As in having other guys on the side, or cant cut the ties from old flames. Most cant be trusted.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:12 PM

663 posts, read 1,081,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittic;
yeah, well try finding a WOMAN carpenter, plumber, contractor, repair person of any type! :-) they may not need us in a personal relationship, but they';d soon die without us in general.
This makes me laugh. Soon die "without us." Let's see, I am off work on vacation and thus far I've replaced the kitchen sink faucet and have torn out one of our side decks and have started rebuilding it. All by my little female lonesome and without any instruction from the man of the house. He hasn't helped and I haven't asked him to. He knows I'm capable. Anything I don't know how to do, I can learn. Anything I don't want to do, my DH can do it or we'll hire it out.

Let me guess, when you get home from wherever - MAYBE a job - you kick off your dirty shoes on the carpet, flop onto the couch, and then demand your beer from the other side of the trailer????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships