Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 09:06 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times

Advertisements

My eyes are bleeding from reading all that utter rubbish!!

Anyone who uses the 'selfish' argument for either child free folks, or parents is being ridiculous and clearly just trying to score cheap points off the other side.

It's so bizarre to me. My DH and I have been paying (a vast amount) of taxes for YEARS. Damn straight we've taken ever deduction we were entitled to. To not do so would make us a pair of idiots. Why would I expect parents to not do the same exact thing we do? Of course they're going to take their kid as a deduction, in just the same way we claimed our mortgage interest deduction (when we had one), and still take our property tax deduction and business expense deductions.

To bash parents for that is ridiculous and weakens your argument.

I do think that there are a lot of people who do not put anywhere near enough thought into having children and there are probably lots of people who wish they weren't parents. Likewise there are probably lots of child free people who wish they had children.

I suspect however that the majority of people are satisfied with their decisions to either have kids or not and I simply cannot for the life of me work out why ON EARTH people need to belittle other's feelings and choices.

So bizarre and frankly ridiculous.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:14 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Shel Silverstein IS dead. SInce 1999. I don't know how he could have a new book out.
It's a collection of his original work which was published in 2011. The collection is called Every Thing On It.

Shel Silverstein's Poems Live On In 'Every Thing' : NPR

Old 12-25-2011, 11:30 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBanson View Post
Honestly, you're probably going to have a hard time finding a wife who is okay with your decision to not have kids.

If you don't want to be a dad that's fine, but deep inside the heart and soul of most women is the longing to be a mother. There may very well be a woman who shares your desire to not have children, but she'll be a rare find.
Didn't seem to have much of an issue in San Francisco and Vancouver, it's just that at the time we were on different paths. Here in Texas and the south for that matter, I have not met one woman that was not instantly ready to start "baking a loaf".

Old 12-26-2011, 12:19 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
On the flip side - I guess CD is also the place to be to call those who have children selfish, a drain on society, bad parents, etc. Why can't we all just get along?
Cut me a break and feel very put upon, why doncha?
The whole premise of this thread is to put down the childfree.
Many parents are selfish and if it hits you so hard, perhaps there's some truth in your decision.
In fact, there's "I want" a kid that factors into each pregnancy (if you give it that much thought at all).

Funny, you didn't say anything about the OP or posts that were negative about the childfree, including your personal attacks.

If you're not childfree, why insist on participating in threads directed to them?

If you don't want to be a dad that's fine, but deep inside the heart and soul of most women is the longing to be a mother. There may very well be a woman who shares your desire to not have children, but she'll be a rare find.
There are many women who choose to be childfree. There are childfree groups in some areas and we do exist.
My ex and I met in the 70s, were both sterilized (at a great pain in the neck process for me). You can find them.

I believe that other than education, people with kids should be on their own. Period.
You make lifestyle choices that I have to pay for? Why? What makes you and parents feel so entitled?
And, I shall reiterate, that once they take care of corruption in the corporate world, and tax breaks for the rich, remove all tax breaks and subsidies for kids.

Last edited by chielgirl; 12-26-2011 at 01:04 AM..

Old 12-26-2011, 05:19 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Cut me a break and feel very put upon, why doncha?
The whole premise of this thread is to put down the childfree.
Many parents are selfish and if it hits you so hard, perhaps there's some truth in your decision.
In fact, there's "I want" a kid that factors into each pregnancy (if you give it that much thought at all).

Funny, you didn't say anything about the OP or posts that were negative about the childfree, including your personal attacks.

If you're not childfree, why insist on participating in threads directed to them?

There are many women who choose to be childfree. There are childfree groups in some areas and we do exist.
My ex and I met in the 70s, were both sterilized (at a great pain in the neck process for me). You can find them.

I believe that other than education, people with kids should be on their own. Period.
You make lifestyle choices that I have to pay for? Why? What makes you and parents feel so entitled?
And, I shall reiterate, that once they take care of corruption in the corporate world, and tax breaks for the rich, remove all tax breaks and subsidies for kids.
Mod cut: Personal attack.

The bottom part of your post I'll never agree with as I am a firm believe in social programs for EVERYONE. I believe in universal health care, care for the elderly, disabled, etc. I certainly don't believe that those groups should be protected and children shouldn't.

I applaud those who know themselves well enough to know that kids wouldn't work for them. I don't understand why people with kids can't respect that decision without comment. We have friends who never intend to have kids. So what? But likewise, to act like parents are somehow a selfish group who drain society. So silly.

I agree with Dew - why can't we all just get along?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-26-2011 at 10:56 AM..

Old 12-26-2011, 05:46 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,358,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Mod cut: Orpnaned.

The bottom part of your post I'll never agree with as I am a firm believe in social programs for EVERYONE. I believe in universal health care, care for the elderly, disabled, etc. I certainly don't believe that those groups should be protected and children shouldn't.

I applaud those who know themselves well enough to know that kids wouldn't work for them. I don't understand why people with kids can't respect that decision without comment. We have friends who never intend to have kids. So what? But likewise, to act like parents are somehow a selfish group who drain society. So silly.

Mod cut: personal attack. This thread has exposed a lot of ignorant folks on CD. Wow.. now i know

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-26-2011 at 10:58 AM..

Old 12-26-2011, 06:44 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
It's a collection of his original work which was published in 2011. The collection is called Every Thing On It.

Shel Silverstein's Poems Live On In 'Every Thing' : NPR
Oh, cool. Thanks for the info. My only kid is grown, but I still might want to get that!!!

Old 12-26-2011, 06:49 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBanson View Post
Honestly, you're probably going to have a hard time finding a wife who is okay with your decision to not have kids.

I don't think so. Look at this forum. Every other a week some woman starts a thread about not wanting children and her perception that other people are criticizing her for it.

Women who don't want kids are probably not the majority, but they are not all that rare. Perhaps the person this post was addressing should use some kind of dating service where he can state up front that he is looking for a relationship where children are not ever going to be part of the future. That would save time and help him find someone whose plans are the same as his.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:24 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Mod cut: Orphaned.

My heart is broken that you don't like my responses. Hear the violins play.
Once we have universal health care, fine. Until then your kids are not precious or more deserving of anything, no matter how you feel.

At what age do people become less precious?

We could get along as soon as the childfree aren't viewed as broken or made to bear the financial brunt of your choice to breed.
The number of justifications and the entitlement mentality should surprise me, but don't.
If you can't afford them, don't have them. That means financial, emotional or physical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Mod cut: Orphaned. This thread has exposed a lot of ignorant folks on CD. Wow.. now i know
Aw, I thought you were done with this thread.
The ignorant folks are usually the parents who think that their kids are "special" and entitled. That society owes them because raising kids is expensive.
You know the big problems, the ones who think they're perfect, their kids are magnificent and no one who doesn't have kids of their own understands.

There are more requirements to buy a puppy or drive a car than there are to have a kid.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-26-2011 at 11:01 AM..

Old 12-26-2011, 08:32 AM

220 posts, read 377,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think so. Look at this forum. Every other a week some woman starts a thread about not wanting children and her perception that other people are criticizing her for it.

Women who don't want kids are probably not the majority, but they are not all that rare. Perhaps the person this post was addressing should use some kind of dating service where he can state up front that he is looking for a relationship where children are not ever going to be part of the future. That would save time and help him find someone whose plans are the same as his.
That could be, but I honestly doubt it. I believe there is an extremely small percentage of women who never want to have kids. It's just that they're extremely vocal about it - as evidenced here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships