Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 03:13 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times

Advertisements

@ chielgirl : no that's not what I said, what I said is that instead at looking at "mail order brides", the OP should travel to Thailand and get to know directly women there - not bargirls especially, but maybe -if he falls in love with one, why not-? on the other hand, he should avoid East Europeans mail order girls like the plague - that's what I said.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:23 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
...and I must add : my experience in my own European country is exactly the same as the OP's : there are more and more working class people who marry foreign women (from Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, etc) because Caucasian women generally have exceedingly high standards in tems of job situation, physical appearance, social skills, etc : they want "alpha males" only.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:58 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
@ chielgirl : no that's not what I said, what I said is that instead at looking at "mail order brides", the OP should travel to Thailand and get to know directly women there - not bargirls especially, but maybe -if he falls in love with one, why not-? on the other hand, he should avoid East Europeans mail order girls like the plague - that's what I said.
Sorry, then, I misread your intention.
It's going to take more than a 2 week holiday to get to know a Thai woman.
I have no problem with the bar girls; they're trying to get from under in a society that doesn't respect their women very much. By that I mean marrying at a young age, parents breeding until they have a boy and the girls supporting them. Lots of trafficking. At least everyone in Thailand, including hill tribes, now have the opportunity to learn Thai.

I'm retiring to Thailand and get so frustrated when men assume that the majority of Thai women are for sale.

I never see the bar scene, never go to Loi Kroi in CM, or Nana and Soi Cowboy in BKK.

The women I know practice and teach Thai massage at an institution that I'm involved with. They're smart, wonderful and funny. I yearn for the day that they'll be seen for who they are instead of a commodity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
...and I must add : my experience in my own European country is exactly the same as the OP's : there are more and more working class people who marry foreign women (from Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, etc) because Caucasian women generally have exceedingly high standards in tems of job situation, physical appearance, social skills, etc : they want "alpha males" only.
Boy, do male and female views differ.
I see it as men want subservient women.
Social skills are certainly a must - how do you get along in life without them?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:03 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
Many of the posters here have no clue about hoops you have to go though in order to get a visa for your wife or fiance. It cost lots of money, time, exhaustive interviews with the Govt. They try to weed out green card grabbers. You can NOT get a visa for someone you have never met in person. The term "mail-order bride" is really quite insulting and demeaning.

The women in poor countries are trying to get a better life most of them are pragmatic about their options. They will be quite loyal and loving if treated right. It is a good option for guys who have no luck with American women.

There are also plenty of losers who have one or more failed marriages to American women who are looking for someone to control and dominate. If feel sorry for the poor girls who end up with those guys. The wife and I have helped several women escape bad relationships over the years.
No those are the guys American women love so they wouldn't need to find a foreign wife. The good guys like me are the ones that need to look elsewhere because American women don't appreciate good guys. I'm decent looking, never married, no kids, not in bad financial shape and still no American woman wants me...all they care about is finding a doctor/lawyer that makes TONS of money so they can brag to their friends and show off their new Coach purse.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:19 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Women will always, eventually, ultimately wear the pants in any marriage. I think American women are more direct about it, but it's these sneaky, coy, charming, indirect, subtly manipulative types that give me the creepos!

I have worked with Filipino and Mexican women for over 10 years now, and I have seen them "wearing the pants" all too often. Submissive to their spouses? Oh please!

And if you marry a poor one from a 3rd world country, with a large family, one way or another you may very well end up supporting that family as well!
It starts off with baht, peso's, and ascends to nickels, dimes, quarters, dollars and credit cards with high limits!

Old 12-28-2011, 06:02 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
The thing I don't get about mail order brides in this day and age, is that we have countless "match-up" websites, where you spend a lot less money and actually get a crack at someone you may be compatible with. Why not just do that?

Old 12-28-2011, 06:11 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
No those are the guys American women love so they wouldn't need to find a foreign wife. The good guys like me are the ones that need to look elsewhere because American women don't appreciate good guys. I'm decent looking, never married, no kids, not in bad financial shape and still no American woman wants me...all they care about is finding a doctor/lawyer that makes TONS of money so they can brag to their friends and show off their new Coach purse.
I agree, in our circle of friends we know lots of nice guys married to nice Filipinas, Laotians, and Thais. If you treat them right you will have a happy life.

I'm partial to the Filipinas because the culture is more akin to America and the language barrier is not so high. They have better chances to get a good job and be successful. It is not hard to find nurses or even doctors who are looking for nice guy to marry.

My wife is a very accomplished REALTOR. She likes her Coach bags but she buys them with HER money!

Also unless you marry an orphan they will be expected to help the family. It is the culture and you better come to an agreement real quick or she and you will be very unhappy. Having her get a job is the smartest thing to do.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:31 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
My husband is a good guy. A good and married guy. You and many others here...that's really questionable. From where I sit, based on your posts in this forum, it's understandable why you are alone. One thing this forum has taught me is that men with nice guy syndrome are anything but nice guys.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:32 AM

65 posts, read 99,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
The thing I don't get about mail order brides in this day and age, is that we have countless "match-up" websites, where you spend a lot less money and actually get a crack at someone you may be compatible with. Why not just do that?

Well I did try that a good bit. But eithier the girl looked nothing like her picture or the girls in my selected range did not want a second date. Like I typed earlier the typical American gal's expectations these days are completely unrealistic.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:35 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
That's the thing, Vic, is that these men don't have what it takes to be in a relationship. Rather than do anything to improve themselves, their social skills, etc., they'd rather blame all the women of the US for their inadequacies. Buying a wife seems like a viable option because it involves no effort toward personal improvement and growth on their part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships