Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 01:51 PM

29,700 posts, read 34,240,753 times

Advertisements

We're not talking about alimony, which isn't awarded very often, and if it is, it's for a limited period, we're talking marital assets. Money and possessions acquired by the couple during the marriage are divided evenly.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:18 PM

36,226 posts, read 30,664,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Having been a woman and learning firsthand what "marital assets" are, it is a lot of BS. Nobody is "entitled" to something the other spouse earned.

The super ridiculous part is "alimony" being awarded so the non-affluent spouse can continue to live in the style to which they've become accustomed. I think if you get a divorce, you should walk out with what you brought to the marriage.

If you sat around eating bonbons or getting your nails done while the husband's (or wife's) income paid for the house, AND are no longer in a marital union, how do you get a gigantic house and an extra income for FREE? It is ridiculous, and the laws have to change. I am waiting to see what's going to happen to Katy Perry's divorce case. The laws governing separation of "assets" during divorce are outdated and unfair.
The whole premise of marriage from biblical times on is for two to unite and become one, emotionally, spiritually, financially and as much physically as possible. So by default each partner is entitled to all things that come from the marriage. Things are built during a marriage by contributions of both parties. Things neither had when they walked into the marriage. Who then should get those things. If only one brings in an outside income the other contributes to the marriage and family in other ways. All contributions make it possible for the marriage to prosper.

Alimony. This is something that is becoming rare. We see it mostly only within the separate world of the rich, famous and wealthy. Alimony has restrictions and was designed to protect one spouse from becoming destitute having given up their competitiveness in the job market which would allow them to support themselves.
I don’t know who Katy Perry is but please don’t compare the marriages and divorces of the utter wealthy to those of the average American couple.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, first of all, there's been a shortage of men in Russia ever since WW2. Second, they're known drunkards.
I dont think Russians have the monopoly of being drunkards. Irish come to mind.

Maybe we should start a gender exchange program between China and Russia. Now that would be interesting.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:35 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,704,675 times
All I can say is, stay away from the one with dark hair named Anna.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
All I can say is, stay away from the one with dark hair named Anna.

well that narrows it down.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:51 PM

629 posts, read 770,045 times
Because custody of children is almost always given to the mother without any reasonable consideration of who might be the more "fit" parent. This means that the husband is tethered to her, he sees the kids at her behest, he pays child support, she controls him in so many ways that he may as well be on a leash. Divorce in this country has turned into something of a sport for the women involved. For the sake of the kids our courts try to make a divorce have as little impact on their lives as possible. That means that the mother and children are taken care of as best as possible at the total disregard and expense of the husband. This would be OK if child custody was assigned fairly but we know the courts are always leaning towards keeping the mother and her children together

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Why is her getting half the marital assets (which she is entitled to) plus the care and feeding of their children some sort of windfall, but his half of the marital assets (which he is also entitled to) is an economic hardship?

Old 01-04-2012, 05:44 PM

720 posts, read 3,002,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
I'd rather deal with the devil i know, than import (so degrading..see what they've reduced women to?) anyway, than import the one i dont know. It is very shameful that in this day and age, with so many lonely women here in the states...people have to turn to mail-order bride for companionship. Nasty stuff
I don't really like the idea of mail order brides if it's some fat 60 year old guy bringing over a 19 year old chick that seems like preying on someone elses unfortunate situation.

Assuming both parties are consenting, attractive and have some type of connection and its not just buying sex I still think its a little wierd but whatever.

I do kind of see the appeal of a foriegn women though. I don't know much about Russia but many other cultures are much more traditional or old fashioned. Men are the provider women are the nurterer take care of the children, keep the house in order, etc. Also, American women are fat its hard to find an attractive fit women here

Old 01-04-2012, 06:33 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,704,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
well that narrows it down.
It was an Anna Karenina reference.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM

61,428 posts, read 86,506,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
You must mix with a bad crowd because I don't know anyone like that

I "know" them. Some from work. Some are friends of co-workers. Two of them are doctors in our hospital, one is a RN.
I am not a friend, nor I envy their possessions. I just merely state facts, that we have plenty American women doing just like those mail order brides you all despise.

Here you can even get some lessons in case of doubt:
http://www.ehow.com/how_10873_posses...me-during.html
http://myfamilylaw.com/library/finan...-distribution/

Last edited by elnina; 01-04-2012 at 06:53 PM..

Old 01-05-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicane View Post
Because custody of children is almost always given to the mother without any reasonable consideration of who might be the more "fit" parent. This means that the husband is tethered to her, he sees the kids at her behest, he pays child support, she controls him in so many ways that he may as well be on a leash. Divorce in this country has turned into something of a sport for the women involved. For the sake of the kids our courts try to make a divorce have as little impact on their lives as possible. That means that the mother and children are taken care of as best as possible at the total disregard and expense of the husband. This would be OK if child custody was assigned fairly but we know the courts are always leaning towards keeping the mother and her children together

Not hardly. The best interest of the child is what is considered. Fathers rarely ask for custody. Mothers often get custodial custody because they are the ones that have taken care of the children. Know their doctor and medical records, teachers and educational developments, etc. and frankly most men dont want the responsibility.
Visitation is set by the court, usually every weekend or every other weekend, alternating holidays or 50/50 shared custody with kids staying alternating weeks with each parent.
Child support is paid, because its a parents respondibility to support their children, by the non custodial parent. The remainder of expense to house, cloth, feed, and care for the kids is paid by the custodial parent.

Having said that, justice is blind and courts are often heavily biased in all respects. Its the individual judges and courts, not the laws that are a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.