Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:16 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times

Advertisements

I think you need to talk to your wife. If I was your wife, I'd have a conversation with my family about remembering to include you. I know that if the situation were reversed and your wife was left out of gift giving during Christmas spent with your family, that you would say something about it, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 09:23 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
My in laws are awesome, they spend the exact same amount on me as they do on my wife, her brother, and his wife! We each get the same monetary amount spent on us so there is no fighting.

Most of the fighting would be between my wife and her brother as they are uber jealous of each other lol

Old 12-28-2011, 09:57 AM

26 posts, read 21,850 times
Write the members of your wife's family "Thank You" cards; ones that say somehting along the lines of "Thanks for the gifts to me and for making me feel so welcome in your home during the lovely Holiday Season. I really appreciate it..."

Nothing like some sharp sarcasm to convey your feelings to rude people.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:46 PM

884 posts, read 1,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper_Guy View Post
Write the members of your wife's family "Thank You" cards; ones that say somehting along the lines of "Thanks for the gifts to me and for making me feel so welcome in your home during the lovely Holiday Season. I really appreciate it..."

I sort of agree with you. However there are some out there that would have it go way over their heads and they'd respond with "we didn't get you anything, why are you thanking us."

Old 12-30-2011, 04:46 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper_Guy View Post

Ah yes, the rude counteracting rude gestures method of "How to alienate everyone"

Old 12-31-2011, 12:11 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Did the finance get presents of everyone? If so then you have every right to be hurt. It isn't the present but the fact that you were snubbed, plain and simple. If the finance did not get anything except from his SO then I would expect it to be a family tradition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaKendall View Post
Like someone else asked, I'm curious if the one sister's fiance received any gifts?? If not, then you know not to take it personally. But if he did, then...something seems off.
Yoo hoo, Mr. Earth! We're waiting for the answer to this question! :::tap tap tap:::

Old 12-31-2011, 05:56 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaKendall View Post
I do think that sounds very rude of her family.

In my husband's family, in order to be economical, we have a rule that we just buy presents for the kids, none for the adults. Yes, every family has their own way of doing Christmas, but for no one to get you a single gift...either they are completely oblivious or else thoughtless.

Like someone else asked, I'm curious if the one sister's fiance received any gifts?? If not, then you know not to take it personally. But if he did, then...something seems off.
I agree it was rude.

I also like the idea of just buying for children. I have a friend who stresses out every year buying for her relatives(including an aunt who needs nothing) and she almost got laid off, I don't get that.

Chrismtas should be about spending time with family and friends.

I'm sure it was awkward for the OP, I would discuss it with your wife.

And if the sister's fiance got a gift just for him then I would wonder what is going on.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:09 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Yoo hoo, Mr. Earth! We're waiting for the answer to this question! :::tap tap tap:::
I honestly can't say if he did or didn't. Like I said we arrived late (due to work), and by then everyone had already received their gifts/ate - the fiance and my SIL already had theirs opened and packed in a bag waiting off to the side, ready to go home.

He does have a closer relationship to all of them though, and sees them much more often than I do..on account of him actually being from this state and going to highschool with my wife and one of the sisters. So they all grew up together I suppose, whereas I'm more the guy their sister moved away to be with (in 2006, although we just moved back and bought a house near them).

We've been married for 5 years, and I usually receive something or atleast am included in the cards.

This is a weird topic to discuss, because it seems like I'm complaining about not getting presents, but it's more of another example of vague rudeness on their part that throws me off.

Individually I like them and get along with them, but it's like there's a weird father/daughter dynamic, and when the three sisters + my FIL are together, it's like a pack of wild wolves that believe they're hilarious. But to everyone else, they're rude, loud, and espouse a silly sense of humor that I thought most adults grew out of.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:51 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
I honestly can't say if he did or didn't. Like I said we arrived late (due to work), and by then everyone had already received their gifts/ate - the fiance and my SIL already had theirs opened and packed in a bag waiting off to the side, ready to go home.

He does have a closer relationship to all of them though, and sees them much more often than I do..on account of him actually being from this state and going to highschool with my wife and one of the sisters. So they all grew up together I suppose, whereas I'm more the guy their sister moved away to be with (in 2006, although we just moved back and bought a house near them).

We've been married for 5 years, and I usually receive something or atleast am included in the cards.

This is a weird topic to discuss, because it seems like I'm complaining about not getting presents, but it's more of another example of vague rudeness on their part that throws me off.

Individually I like them and get along with them, but it's like there's a weird father/daughter dynamic, and when the three sisters + my FIL are together, it's like a pack of wild wolves that believe they're hilarious. But to everyone else, they're rude, loud, and espouse a silly sense of humor that I thought most adults grew out of.
Ahhh, so you "tolerate" them, but think they're rude, loud and have an immature sense of humor. Funny, you know.....how a mate will share things with someone in their family....then they tell someone and they tell someone and so on and so on. It sounds like you could be in a bit of a pickle here (just maybe), where you have to come down so far, in order to tolerate these people, much less share YOUR wife with them, that they're showing you that the feeling is mutual?

They love their wife, she's one of them. Clearly, you are NOT one of them and since you've so blantantly declared as much (cleverly HIDDEN ), they are likely just reciprocating in kind. Might wanna play just a little more like you ARE a part of the family from here on out. It might just make your wife feel a bit less humilated next year, you as well.

Was it rude? Yeah, I'm quite sure they could have concealed their animosity, for the holidays. Public humiliation and snubbing at family gatherings really is pretty petty. However, given the opinion you already had, concerning your inlaws, why would this shock you?

Old 12-31-2011, 09:35 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,921,401 times
dude- it's been a week since Christmas !! I'm dumbfounded that your WIFE did not address the situation-either with you or her family- WTF?-shame on her - she should have your back and in sticking her head in the sand and ignoring the situation she is condoning their behavior- You do have a point though about it not being about the presents but the lack of consideration shown to you- I'm not a tactful person so I don't have the words to give you so you don't come off as a whiner. Do not let it go- your wife dropped the ball on this- I'm sorry this happened to you. Now If it was your kids that were ignored and slighted mark my words she'd be all up in their stuff.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships