Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:11 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,409 times

Advertisements

Not only in regards to one's attitude/ mindset, but more about their mannerism/ demeanor/ aura- what comes off as "Snobby" to you?

Furthermore, would you associate with a so-called "Snob"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 11:34 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,028 times
I've been accused of being snobby. These individuals(that get labeled) are often introverted, keep to themselves, don't talk much, and are simply quiet individuals. It doesn't mean they are snobs, just that those are the qualities.

And oddly enough, I rarely see an unattractive person referred to as a snob if they have those qualities. They're often referred to as creepy, or just shy.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:44 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post

And oddly enough, I rarely see an unattractive person referred to as a snob if they have those qualities. They're often referred to as creepy, or just shy.
Interesting and very true

Myself, have been labeled as snobby too many times in the past...I often am just sitting in a public space and may have a conversation with someone who later says "Oh I thought you were a snob" even though I was just sitting down, minding my own business. I sometimes wonder if it must be my facial expression or aura..

Old 12-29-2011, 11:52 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,821 times
Snobs are very entitled, passive-aggressive people. Instead of saying "pardon me" to get by you, they will wait for minutes on end in silence until you to acknowledge their presence and allow them to pass. They are rarely cordial. Greeting one of them might get you a half-smile/grimace in return, if you're lucky. The condescension in their tone of voice is usually readily apparent, and they seem to never miss an opportunity for sarcastic responses to honest questions.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:00 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
Quote:
I've been accused of being snobby. These individuals(that get labeled) are often introverted, keep to themselves, don't talk much, and are simply quiet individuals. It doesn't mean they are snobs, just that those are the qualities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Interesting and very true

Myself, have been labeled as snobby too many times in the past...I often am just sitting in a public space and may have a conversation with someone who later says "Oh I thought you were a snob" even though I was just sitting down, minding my own business. I sometimes wonder if it must be my facial expression or aura..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Snobs are very entitled, passive-aggressive people. Instead of saying "pardon me" to get by you, they will wait for minutes on end in silence until you to acknowledge their presence and allow them to pass. They are rarely cordial. Greeting one of them might get you a half-smile/grimace in return, if you're lucky. The condescension in their tone of voice is usually readily apparent, and they seem to never miss an opportunity for sarcastic responses to honest questions.
Personally, snobbiness to me has nothing to do with looks or being passive agressive. I grew up in a fairly wealthy neighborhood. The snobs were the ones that looked down on you for not driving a BMW or a Porsche - as a highschool student. The snobs were the ones that stopped being your friend after seeing your house. The snobs were the ones that wouldn't talk to you if you didn't wear designer clothes.

And no - I wouldn't hang out with a snob. I'd rather hang out with people that care more about who you are inside than what kind of a car you drive or if you shop on Rodeo drive.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:30 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
The snobs were the ones that looked down on you for not driving a BMW or a Porsche - as a highschool student. The snobs were the ones that stopped being your friend after seeing your house. The snobs were the ones that wouldn't talk to you if you didn't wear designer clothes.

And no - I wouldn't hang out with a snob. I'd rather hang out with people that care more about who you are inside than what kind of a car you drive or if you shop on Rodeo drive.
Yes, what you just said right here is what I picture when I think of a "snobby" person. The people who treat you like you're a lump of dogs--t on the bottom of their shoe if you don't have the "right" clothes, the "right" friends, or the "right" whatever else. Not someone who's naturally reserved.

There are too many other obstacles to navigate in life to waste time trying to please someone that's that obsessed with petty crap. No, thank you.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Quote:

^^^
This.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Putting down things and/or acting like they are too good for something. Like habitually making comments like 'only common people get their coffee from Starbucks' or 'I'd never be seen dead driving a Hyundai.' At a party or something, even if they aren't shy, if you try to engage in a conversation they will act bored so you go away. Just acted like they are floating above everybody else.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Personally, snobbiness to me has nothing to do with looks or being passive agressive. I grew up in a fairly wealthy neighborhood. The snobs were the ones that looked down on you for not driving a BMW or a Porsche - as a highschool student. The snobs were the ones that stopped being your friend after seeing your house. The snobs were the ones that wouldn't talk to you if you didn't wear designer clothes.

Yeah I associate snobbism with elitism, which often goes hand in hand with a sense of superiority based on economic wealth/class. It might also be based on thinking you're more intelligent/enlightened/cultured than others. Basically, snobbism is snicking your nose up at the world and thinking you're better than everybody else.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:30 AM

21,535 posts, read 8,719,477 times
I think that snobbism comes out of insecurity and lack of good manners. The super rich who've had money for generations are more likely to be down to earth, unpretentious and courteous to everyone, no matter what their station in life. People like that have no need to impress anyone or to prove anything. It's the ones who have come into money that need to rub your nose in their good fortune all the time.

I have a friend like that. As young women we were underpaid clerical workers living from paycheck to paycheck in studio apartments and eating Kraft Dinners. Then she married a guy from Beverly Hills who is "upwardly mobile" and has absorbed a lot of his attitudes. I married an unpretentious blue collar type and have continued to live modestly even when I could afford not to, while she and her husband lived beyond their means and were perpetually in debt.

One time my friend came to town for a visit and I asked her if she'd ever ridden the historic streetcars in our city. "I never use public transportation," she sniffed. This is the same woman who used to bum rides in my beat-up VW Beetle because she couldn't afford her own car.

A couple of years ago I visited my friend's (heavily-mortgaged) house in an exclusive gated suburban neighborhood and brought her and her husband a bottle of wine that a good wine shop had recommended to me. First they acted horrified because it had a screw top and later, when I asked how they liked it, my friend said that it was "a little too young." My feelings were terribly hurt, though I didn't show it.

I don't know what my friend is trying to prove, but I think that she is still self-conscious about her modest background and has become a snob in order to escape who she really is. It's sad when people feel the need to make others feel bad in order to make themselves feel better. It's also bad manners to be ungracious about a gift. Money can buy a lot of things, but it can't buy class.

To answer the question posted by the OP, yes. I do still hang out with this snob occasionally because she's fun to be with, we've been friends for over 40 years and we have a lot of history. I am able to cheerfully overlook her snobbism because I know that despite my modest lifestyle I am actually better off than she is.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 12-30-2011 at 02:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships