Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:22 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times

Advertisements

Many say there is love at first sight but that is probably more lust or ascribing personality where really one has no clue what the person is like. Its sometimes easy to confuse love and lust because some people still feel guilty about having only lustful thoughts outside of a loving relationship -others just want to possess someone.

So allowing for the above- if two people meet both of whom have good communication skills and spend 80 or so hours together consecutively with sex love and lots of talk - can they know with some certainty that they have a real chance at a lasting relationship.

Please give a thoughtful response-there are many other threads for simpletons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 09:28 PM

782 posts, read 1,087,209 times
Possible, but unlikely. That's if you're talking about flying somewhere to meet for the first time without any type of email correspondence.

I do believe in instant attraction, but it takes a long time to get to know a person. Anybody can put up a front for 80 hours - not showing their true self. But, like I said, it's possible. Watch for red flags and don't kid yourself, my friend.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:32 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times
ha, no. I've definitely met men a few times in my life who took my breath away based on lust the second I met them, but I knew it wasn't love, at all.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:34 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Yes I think it's possible if luck is on your side and you both have an open heart. Lots of people fall in love at first sight and go on to have happy marriages. They just end up having similar values and goals. Just as many fall in love at first sight and it doesn't work out because of lack of shared values or open heart. I think it's all just a matter of luck of being at the right place at the right time and meeting that right person.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:36 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Possible? Yes. Probable? No.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Anything's possible. I know a few couples who've been happily married for a long time and who say that for them it was, quite literally, love at first sight. My brother and his wife are a perfect example. They met at my brother's then-girlfriend's high school graduation party. The gf's cousin swept my brother off his feet that day. They went out on their first date the following day and declared their love for each other on the day after that. They just celebrated their 42nd wedding anniversary and still act like smitten 18-year-olds.

I know times have changed a lot since then and the world is generally a colder and more cynical place. But I still believe it's possible, albeit unlikely, for a couple to fall in love that quickly and have it be the real thing.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:50 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Default It's Possible...

Can two people fall in love & create a lasting relationship in 80 Hours?

...if the guy is good looking enough! I've seen it happen a number of times.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:51 PM

61,711 posts, read 87,123,005 times
After 80 hrs together, sex and talk - I would think they found mutual attraction, but love? No. Love grows, love is more than few hours together. Love might develop from this, but is not yet.
Now, you are asking about "certainty" - there is no certainty in a relationship. The heart of a successful relationship is trust, love and devotion to each other - so if they work on it with all their hearts, they might succeed to have a lasting relationship. Only time will tell, and certainly not after 80 hours.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:30 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
In 80 hours one can certainly find out if it's worth investing another 80, don't you think?

Old 01-03-2012, 08:56 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
Possible? Certainly. But not terribly likely that you'll truly know them well enough until you've spent time together over 6 to 12 months in a variety of circumstance, some of which should be stressful or demanding in some way, to ascertain there true character.

I think you can determine within a very short time (even a few hours) whether or not someone has strong potential to successfully navigate the longer term, but only living through the longer term with them will provide the proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships