Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 11:30 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Why not just go outside and meet people normally? Amazingly enough, the human race managed to survive and procreate thousands of years before the internet.

I know right, its a wonder any of us were even born seeing that our parents didn't have the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 11:32 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
Both. I was instantly attracted to him in a major way. So the "in love" chemicals kicked in, making it impossible for me to view him objectively. This is very common during the "in love" phase. By the time the "in love" wore off, the things about him that I thought "Oh, no big deal!" were in fact a really big deal.

For example, he had really bad credit. As in, astronomically bad, six digits. I told myself not to sweat the "small stuff," but it was not small stuff at all. It affected me every day of our marriage.

Well yeah then, that sucks and I can see why you would feel differently now. I've been been with my partner for many years (happy ones!) and fell head-over-heels in lust right off the bat, so for me, a gut instinct has served me well.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:42 AM

773 posts, read 1,259,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Well yeah then, that sucks and I can see why you would feel differently now. I've been been with my partner for many years (happy ones!) and fell head-over-heels in lust right off the bat, so for me, a gut instinct has served me well.
Whether "in love" parlays into love is a huge crap shoot. And for some, but not all, people it does — I really do believe that! However, this time around, by not letting my head get out of control, I was able to ascertain that my fella was a truly decent guy with no huge deal breakers. The more I got to know him, the crazier I became about him. We're six months in, and I'm just getting to that serious "in love" phase!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:50 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Hey, whatever works!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:02 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,633 times
The biggest problem with internet dating is the assumption that physical attractiveness (which CANNOT be determined adequately by pictures) isn't as important as some list of attributes "scientifically determined" by asking a bunch of questions better left to a psychology exam. You can usually tell within 30 seconds of meeting someone in person if you like them or not; internet dating muddles this up by convincing you there's some "connection" before you ever meet.

Internet dating is for guys who don't have enough balls to ask a girl out and for fat/ugly women who never get asked out.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:07 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,175 times
Nothing wrong with using internet dating as a supplement.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
The biggest problem with internet dating is the assumption that physical attractiveness (which CANNOT be determined adequately by pictures) isn't as important as some list of attributes "scientifically determined" by asking a bunch of questions better left to a psychology exam. You can usually tell within 30 seconds of meeting someone in person if you like them or not; internet dating muddles this up by convincing you there's some "connection" before you ever meet.

Internet dating is for guys who don't have enough balls to ask a girl out and for fat/ugly women who never get asked out.
I disagree with your last statement. I joined a dating site because I'm a writer who works from home, and mine is a solitary business. So I needed the impetus to get out and about.

But what you wrote about the assumption of "chemistry" is so true. Match.com sends out emails to its members with a list of their "best matches." Guess who was at the top of the list on mine? My EX-HUSBAND. No joke. Ah, yeah. We both still like seafood and the color red. Look how far that got us. You have to be willing to really pick your battles and know what's important. Sometimes the guy/girl you have 5 percent in common with is the real deal.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I disagree with your last statement. I joined a dating site because I'm a writer who works from home, and mine is a solitary business. So I needed the impetus to get out and about. .
If you actually live in Austin, you'd be no different than the countless other writers who took their laptops to the coffee shop for a few hours once a week. Again, if you are remotely attractive, some guy will hit on you in public. The internet is just a crutch, and it limits you far more than it helps. So, are you fat and/or ugly?

I'm not saying meeting someone "off the internet" because you went to some Meetup event is bad; in fact you probably have way more in common with someone like that than a dating site. But dating sites specifically, worthless.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
If you actually live in Austin, you'd be no different than the countless other writers who took their laptops to the coffee shop for a few hours once a week. Again, if you are remotely attractive, some guy will hit on you in public. The internet is just a crutch, and it limits you far more than it helps. So, are you fat and/or ugly?
Nope. I'm tiny, thin, very cute and PUBLISHED. S.O. is very fetching as well. But both of us have careers that take up a lot of our time; neither of us had a lot of time to devote to scoping bars, markets, etc.

I can't focus on my writing with noise around me. Not even music or street sounds. I need solitary, and I definitely need absolute quiet. Some writers don't mind noise, however.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
S.O. is very fetching as well.
Why are you using a dating site!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships