Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 01:43 PM

773 posts, read 1,254,118 times

Advertisements

Because the only people I meet tend to be other writers or publishing industry people. There's only room for one creative type in a relationship or marriage. If you don't believe me ...

Beware of Writer

I wanted an engineer or similar. Someone very logical, analytical and grounded. Because all of those things I ain't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 03:46 PM

819 posts, read 1,127,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
Because the only people I meet tend to be other writers or publishing industry people. There's only room for one creative type in a relationship or marriage. If you don't believe me ...

Beware of Writer

I wanted an engineer or similar. Someone very logical, analytical and grounded. Because all of those things I ain't!
I don't understand: if you have a boyfriend, why are you looking for another one?

Old 01-04-2012, 03:48 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
I don't understand: if you have a boyfriend, why are you looking for another one?
Maybe she is one of those romance novalist, and she's trying to get some material.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:50 PM

674 posts, read 1,158,084 times
Quote:
Why are you using a dating site!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post

Beware of Writer

I'd like to make a point because Supernaut made a great one: not only fat/ugly losers use dating sites. Sure, are there some people that are low caliber or women that are a little "nutty" in the head that use dating sites because she deters men with her personality? Are there many guys with no social skills who use internet dating as a crutch? Sure, of course there are some, but not everyone uses it for that.

I personally use it to meet people I wouldn't normally meet because I don't have the chance to meet the type of women I'm interested in on a day to day basis. I like nice, kind, caring, humble women. I want to be able to have intelligent conversations with them and I want them to have an opinion. Women who are responsible and know what they want out of life.

Here's where I currently meet women in my daily life:

Work: I work in a small sales office with 20 dudes and one woman, she is not attractive by any means, and even if I were to lower my standards she is engaged. I see some women in the elevators that I chat up with sometimes, but I usually notice a wedding ring on their finger right away. Not to mention that it's not easy picking up a girl in a matter of 15 seconds between floors while other people are in a small, quiet space.

Between work: I take the el train. Everyone is busy, no one is making any eye contact, everyone has their ipods, kindles, ipads, cell phones. Again, small crowded spaces with short time to hit on a girl: see elevator.

Social: Parties and bars. Women are out to have a good time with friends, might meet a girl who is mutual friends with someone there, but it's loud, it's dark, she's going to be a little on the defensive in that environment and won't know if I'm trying to just be friendly and get to know her or if I'm planning on trying to get her drunk and in a cab to go back to my apt. That, and most women who spend a lot of time out at bars are not my ideal women. As I get older, I go out less and less. I know what I want. I found many girls that I do meet out don't know what they want and they go out quite a bit.

I've expanded my social groups by joining random flag football teams but the women on those teams were either lesbian (not being mean, they really were, I asked one out and she told me) or they joined the team with their boyfriend.

I've tried meeting girls at the grocery store or coffee shop and bookstores but it's very very hit or miss. I just don't have the time to spend half a saturday stalking young attractive women who I don't know anything about.

So I try online dating every so often. I keep taking shots when I have the opportunity through random opportunities when I do meet women, but in 6 years that really hasn't landed me any dates in this huge city. I think it's getting easier with age, I'm now 28 and it's not as frustrating. I've had a couple relationships from online dating already and learned a lot. I'd much rather have that experience than have been single for 6 years and become bitter.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:58 PM

819 posts, read 1,127,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
I've tried meeting girls at the grocery store or coffee shop and bookstores but it's very very hit or miss. I just don't have the time to spend half a saturday stalking young attractive women who I don't know anything about for an afternoon.
So take the easy way out..? Wtf does "hit-or-miss" mean? Does this mean you got rejected too many times? Honestly, if you get one date after asking twenty girls out, you're doing well. Also, don't spend more than five minutes talking to a woman before either asking her out or getting her number to ask her out later.

Again, to reiterate: Internet dating is for guys who don't have enough balls to ask a girl out.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:22 PM

674 posts, read 1,158,084 times
Quote:
So take the easy way out..? Wtf does "hit-or-miss" mean?
It means that in addition to the rejections I've gotten, the ones that responded positively to my approach turned out not being what I was looking for. Like starving waitresses aspiring to be actors or models.

Quote:
Does this mean you got rejected too many times? Honestly, if you get one date after asking twenty girls out, you're doing well. Also, don't spend more than five minutes talking to a woman before either asking her out or getting her number to ask her out later.
What's rejected and what's a score? Is getting her number one out of 20 a good thing? Because of the 1 out of 20 I get, which is roughly 20 numbers I've gotten, all 20 never lead to dates. Girls who say "yeah I'll go out, that would be fun!" and then never answer my call or call me back. I'd rather have clear sight in my approach.

Quote:
Again, to reiterate: Internet dating is for guys who don't have enough balls to ask a girl out.
It's a shame narrow-mindedness isn't painful.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:40 PM

773 posts, read 1,254,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Maybe she is one of those romance novalist, and she's trying to get some material.
My, aren't we clever.

And we could well be right.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:00 PM

529 posts, read 1,297,196 times
Well I don't know about the quality of matches in E-Harmony but I was taking a look a OKCupid's in my area and it was so sad. I spend easily an hour laughing at the profiles there and maybe hand picked 8 women who had decent looks and education.
I'm not looking for a gorgeous rocket scientist but I dont want my ex to laugh when she sees my "new" date either.
If I do online dating I think eHarmony will be my first choice though, at least it looks more serious.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,786,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Thumbs up to Eharmony so far. I've been only a month and was out of town for 10 days: I had first date this past week and am going out with her again this Friday. She even initatied the process instead of waiting like a princess. Have an ice skating first date with another girl Saturday. Both are cute and normal. I'm no stud muffin either.

I only date my own race so that limits the matches so I can only imagine the results if one dates all races.
Just don't rush into marriage

Old 01-04-2012, 07:08 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,434,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Just don't rush into marriage
I'm curious. You're 36 years old, have never had any relationship outside of a multitude of "first dates" and have never been even remotely close to marriage. Why do you think your advice is of any merit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships