Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 02:46 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,523,543 times

Advertisements

One more reason that I think Facebook sucks.

In real life, you meet people and you do things together. If it's a good fit, you stay friends - sometimes your whole life. If it just doesn't feel right, the relationship fades away.

But not on Facebook! It adds in a whole trash can full of new social mores. I'm still reeling that people think they must answer their phones. I've have cell phones since they first came out and I've never felt the need to answer while on the toilet.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:40 PM

461 posts, read 1,310,668 times
Life is just too short to deal with that kind of drama and toxic friendship. Don't feel guilty...you just didn't mesh with her.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 PM

519 posts, read 1,047,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post

In real life, you meet people and you do things together. If it's a good fit, you stay friends - sometimes your whole life. If it just doesn't feel right, the relationship fades away.

But not on Facebook! It adds in a whole trash can full of new social mores. I'm still reeling that people think they must answer their phones. I've have cell phones since they first came out and I've never felt the need to answer while on the toilet.
I LOVE facebook and am very active on it.

There are many facebook 'haters' who try to make people feel stupid/ guilty for using fb but I never bother with them.

Because they're WRONG.

In this thread people have decided to be rude and call me names and imply that I'm pathetic and immature because fb is an element in one of my relationships (some posts were so abusive they were deleted by mods)

But fyi, fb is here to stay and it is an element in millions of relationships.

This girl and I had daily contact via fb and had plans to spend future time together in real life.

I wanted to cut contact completely and ending our fb relationship suddenly would have been a rude shock to her - and I'm sure it was.

I do understand and appreciate comments to the effect of 'phasing her out' and being unavailable etc but I think I'm too angry.

There is no subtle way to end things on fb - of course you can hide news feeds - which I would have done except we had plans to meet at skate school and I am really hoping that deleting her off fb will put an end to that.

I haven't heard from her as of yet, I'm hoping I never do again - I'm hoping she doesn't come along to skate school but I'm almost 100% sure she won't.

If she does contact me I'll update here.

A big THANK YOU to all the people who offered genuine advice when I needed it. xxx

Old 01-05-2012, 09:05 PM

663 posts, read 1,080,266 times
Just because you like Facebook doesn't make others WRONG for thinking it's a vapid, inconsequential, POS way to spend scads of time. I have a FB, I check it once in a blue moon, most of what people post is a big yawn. So you say the haters are wrong, they would likely say you are.....that sure solves a lot, doesn't it?

The concept of unfriending someone on FB and all the drama that apparently ensues is silly to a lot of adults. If someone unfriended me, more power to them....I very likely wouldn't notice because I have a life. The way I see it anyway.

I don't think you are wrong for liking FB, to each his own, but you do come across as a little immature. Maybe you're not and it's just the way you word things, who knows.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:11 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,686,401 times
Remove and block. It is really simple. She might be hurt, but her actions hurt you. And blocking her puts an end to all the mishegoss.

Waiting for a certain little poster to pop in with two cents.

And the racked one, who plays farmville anymore? You are always needing bovine bolsterment.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:32 PM

519 posts, read 1,047,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePugx3 View Post
Just because you like Facebook doesn't make others WRONG for thinking it's a vapid, inconsequential, POS way to spend scads of time. I have a FB, I check it once in a blue moon, most of what people post is a big yawn. So you say the haters are wrong, they would likely say you are.....that sure solves a lot, doesn't it?

The concept of unfriending someone on FB and all the drama that apparently ensues is silly to a lot of adults. If someone unfriended me, more power to them....I very likely wouldn't notice because I have a life. The way I see it anyway.

I don't think you are wrong for liking FB, to each his own, but you do come across as a little immature. Maybe you're not and it's just the way you word things, who knows.
That's the whole point - this thread is NOT ABOUT facebook. It's about relationships, and in particular the ending of a relationship.

Facebook is an extension of relationships - and I also 'have a life' I run my own bookclub, work, and have many hobbies and many good friends.

You sound like a horrid person - your friends posts are 'a big yawn'? nice.

I come across as a little immature? nice.

You hate facebook? Well it's as good or bad as YOU make it.

My facebook experience has always been awesome and I LOVE it.

People who 'hate' facebook generally just don't have any friends - and they hate people in general. IMHO.

Not really interested in arguing with someone as hate filled as you seem to be though - so I'd appreciate it if you'd go away.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:15 AM

Oh my, horrid? I think you read way too much into the post, lol. I have plenty of friends, thank you, I prefer to see them in real life. Hate Facebook? No, just don't care for it as a way to socialize like you might. All I did was point out there are those who do hate FB, even more than you say you love it, and it doesn't make them any more right or wrong than you. You seem to think everyone who isn't as wild about it as you is wrong.....that does come across as a bit immature. But like I said in my other post, it may just be the way you worded things, may not be the way it actually is.

Your thread was a lot about Facebook and unfriending, likely why other posters mentioned it in response.

Yes, I do think FB is a yawn overall. It tends to bring out a certain flavor of narcissism in a lot of folks. A lot of people tend to broadcast tedious details of their lives in a way they would not IRL. If having an opinion about FB makes me horrid well, I can live with that . No where did I say I personally hated it, nor am I hate-filled (sheesh ) only pointed out there are many people who don't share your opinion but it doesn't make them wrong as you mentioned it did.

No one is arguing with you so not sure where that came from either (???). People can and do have different opinions, a fact of life.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:30 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,181,796 times
OP, you did great by unfriending her. It is a very difficult decision to make.

I did it to several people and all it did was push me to learn how to keep those kinds of people at a distance from the very beginning. Once you figure this out, having them as a FB friend is not that big of a deal.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM;

Absolutely agree. A co-worker recently told me she has her phone on her at all times so she doesn't miss posts and make her friends upset if she doesn't comment on all of them, etc. She recently 'liked' a comment about a friend of hers lighting his arm and hand on fire while purposely horsing around with a lighter and a bottle of booze. She 'likes' the comment (???)
but furthermore, the other one with very recent third degree burns.....he's still on FB????. These people aren't teens either. In fact "fire starter" is a married father of three, the oldest of which is a teenage boy who watched pops pull this stunt.

My childhood best friend is on my FB and I enjoy pictures, etc, from her and others that are posted. However, real life over FB any day.

Last edited by PurePugx3; 01-06-2012 at 04:47 AM..

Old 01-06-2012, 04:37 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,572,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
That's the whole point - this thread is NOT ABOUT facebook. It's about relationships, and in particular the ending of a relationship.
Facebook is an extension of relationships - and I also 'have a life' I run my own bookclub, work, and have many hobbies and many good friends.
You sound like a horrid person - your friends posts are 'a big yawn'? nice.
I come across as a little immature? nice.
You hate facebook? Well it's as good or bad as YOU make it.
My facebook experience has always been awesome and I LOVE it.
People who 'hate' facebook generally just don't have any friends - and they hate people in general. IMHO.
Not really interested in arguing with someone as hate filled as you seem to be though - so I'd appreciate it if you'd go away.
Great morning chuckle - finally! The vision of a little girl with pigtails and freckles standing in a sandbox wearing a little pink gingham dress and MaryJanes, waving her bucket and spade around while red-facedly ranting and stomping her feet is just hilarious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.